Is It Safe to Take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) With Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen)?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last edited:
To combat the pain of osteoarthritis and peripheral neuropathy, I took a LOT of Tylenol mixed with Aleve, and ibuprofen every day.
Until it ate a hole in my stomach and I was slowly bleeding to death.
When I finally allowed my wife to take me to the ER my hemoglobin was 3. Normal is 14 to 18.
2 is death. That was a three day hospital stay with not only 4 units of blood but several IV bags of iron solution.

Today, I can no longer take any NSAID’s at all, in any amount. Only Tylenol.

Be very careful!! Very careful!!

i try not to take any more than 2 doses of the combo per day cause im kinda over cautious. rice paddy im sorry you had such a terrible struggle with pain.

i have fibro and peripheral neuropathy, i take a fw things, moringa capsules--very helpful--, cbd oil caps, arnica homeopathics, arnica gel or oil--you can easily make the oil yoursel;f and even grow w the plant. and even rub on some vicks vaporub on feet .

vicks is worth having for many reasons it is a pretty decent topical pain relief rub. also if being bothered by a dry coiugh at night messing up your sleep--rub it on bottom of feet and put socks on., no lidding. it stops the annoying cough.

My wife gave me a tube of arnica gel, it didn’t help the nerve pain but it does relieve muscle pain.
I am prescribed Lyrica to block the pain, I had gotten to a level of gabapentin that the doctor thought any increase would be bad for my kidneys.
I have stage three chronic kidney disease, and darn sure don’t want to end up on dialysis.
4,000 mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the max dose. Any more than that will cause severe liver damage. I take 3,000 mg or less every day.

i just want to say to everyone, im very sorry and embarrassed at my typos. ive been typing since i was a kid. i dont see all that much and just go by memory. i do try to look at my posts with my magnifier to see if ok but sometimes i see a post days later and am embarrassed at my mistakes and try to fix them. ` all i got is peripheral vision, magnifiers and a screen reader. i promise im not being lazy, sloppy oir inebriated. im not disrepecting you guys. i just kinda cnat see crap.
a person said recently and kindly that my typing seemed to be getting messier. and im sorry. just my eyes getting dimmer.
so if you all can tolerate messy me, i promise to stay on as long as i can being as sweet, cute and annoying as possible

i just want to say to everyone, im very sorry and embarrassed at my typos. ive been typing since i was a kid. i dont see all that much and just go by memory. i do try to look at my posts with my magnifier to see if ok but sometimes i see a post days later and am embarrassed at my mistakes and try to fix them. ` all i got is peripheral vision, magnifiers and a screen reader. i promise im not being lazy, sloppy oir inebriated. im not disrepecting you guys. i just kinda cnat see crap.
a person said recently and kindly that my typing seemed to be getting messier. and im sorry. just my eyes getting dimmer.
so if you all can tolerate messy me, i promise to stay on as long as i can being as sweet, cute and annoying as possible
We love you just the way you are!!♥️

The doc gave my brother this combo when he broke his shoulder. The home health care nurse said to stagger them so when one is winding down, the other is peaking. That seemed to help him more with the pain.

thanks i didnt think of that--kinda makes sense

No worries, jazzy - you're close enough that I can figure out what you mean. Sorry to hear of the vision loss, that has to be scary and depressing.
I've heard of the acetaminophen/ibuprofen combination, in fact the oral surgeon just recommended that when I had that tooth taken out the other day. But I avoid ibuprofen now. I have really bad tinnitus, which includes a physical component of my left eardrum vibrating. It's painful, annoying, and at times enough to drive me mad and I'll hit myself on the side of the head trying to make the fluttering stop. I've researched but the best the web can offer is "talk to your doctor about surgery" or CBD pills. But I did find one article that mentioned ibuprofen can make tinnitus worse, and I had been taking a lot of it. I quit, and symptoms did improve for a while. It's bad again now, but I still won't take ibuprofen for fear of making it even worse.
I've been seriously considering trying the weed but I have so few brain cells left it makes me hesitate.

Yes, stagger them as has already been mentioned. That usually means to take only two 200mg/each Advil tablets at a time (total 400mg). That's a four hour regiment. And two 325mg/each Tylenol tablets (650mg total) is a four hour regiment. So that staggers nicely.

Two 500mg/each Extra Strength Tylenol (1000mg total) should only be taken at six hour intervals.

You can take Advil - two 200mg tablets (400mg total) every four hours. Or three tablets every six hours. Or four tablets every eight hours. But you can't go beyond four at a time max. For some things it works better to take a four tablet Advil dose less frequently. But that makes it a little tougher to stagger, since you have to remember what Advil dose/frequency you are taking and things are not quite as easy as "I have to take something every two hours" and you only have to remember which drug you need to take at any given two hour point.

I guess you could do a two Extra strength Tylenol tablet against three Advil tablet stagger at a three hour stagger point, so it's six hours between doses of the same drug. That would be a question for @DrJenner . I've never done that three hour stagger personally, but I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't do it that way. I have just done the two hour stagger at the lower individual dose level.

To combat the pain of osteoarthritis and peripheral neuropathy, I took a LOT of Tylenol mixed with Aleve, and ibuprofen every day.
Until it ate a hole in my stomach and I was slowly bleeding to death.
When I finally allowed my wife to take me to the ER my hemoglobin was 3. Normal is 14 to 18.
2 is death. That was a three day hospital stay with not only 4 units of blood but several IV bags of iron solution.

Today, I can no longer take any NSAID’s at all, in any amount. Only Tylenol.

Be very careful!! Very careful!!
HOLY CRAP, RPD! I worked most of my life in a hospital lab, particularly blood bank. How did you even get into the hospital with a hgb of 3? You couldn’t have had any energy and, I’ll bet, gasping to breath. Please take better care of yourself. I love all you Vietnam vets. 😍
No worries, jazzy - you're close enough that I can figure out what you mean. Sorry to hear of the vision loss, that has to be scary and depressing.
I've heard of the acetaminophen/ibuprofen combination, in fact the oral surgeon just recommended that when I had that tooth taken out the other day. But I avoid ibuprofen now. I have really bad tinnitus, which includes a physical component of my left eardrum vibrating. It's painful, annoying, and at times enough to drive me mad and I'll hit myself on the side of the head trying to make the fluttering stop. I've researched but the best the web can offer is "talk to your doctor about surgery" or CBD pills. But I did find one article that mentioned ibuprofen can make tinnitus worse, and I had been taking a lot of it. I quit, and symptoms did improve for a while. It's bad again now, but I still won't take ibuprofen for fear of making it even worse.
I've been seriously considering trying the weed but I have so few brain cells left it makes me hesitate.
CBD is not the same as THC. you shouldn’t get high off of CBD. Please give it a try.

The first time my wife drove me to the ER in her truck, called ahead, and a team with a gurney was waiting.
The second time i knew to watch for the symptoms of blood in the stool, and Fire Rescue transported me. My hgb the second time was a 7.
Where we live, the nearest ER is a one hour drive. A little quicker by ambulance.

HOLY CRAP, RPD! I worked most of my life in a hospital lab, particularly blood bank. How did you even get into the hospital with a hgb of 3? You couldn’t have had any energy and, I’ll bet, gasping to breath. Please take better care of yourself. I love all you Vietnam vets. 😍

CBD is not the same as THC. you shouldn’t get high off of CBD. Please give it a try.

i second that--cbd is Not the same as thc. when i had cancer i researched everything cannabis cause i didnt want the standarsd pharma treatment . cbd does not produce a high .
in the plant there is the cbds and thc-a. the thc-a needs heat to convert it into the more potent thc. but thc-a by itself before heat activated for a specific time--its like extra strength tylenol. no high.

i took full strength cannabis oil with the thc to best my cancer and it worked. i take asimilar recipe for fibromyalgia and it works.

here is a tip--
if the material you are using is equal ratio cbd - thc ther eis no high.
if you ever smoke or eat or take a thc product and dont like the feeling or get too high, start eating sugar, candy, snickers, etc--it cancels out the high in a minute or 2. if you eat protein tho--it extends it.

but cbd by itself is very helpful. some people even buy organic hemp oil---that has small amounts of cbd, and it helps some folks by itself.

most people dont know but our bodies have a cannabanoid system--sorry i forgot the exact name but we get cannabanoids in different food-very minor-but our bodies use it. im thinking cabbage is one--cinnamon? some simple every day things.

top 10 foods that have cbds naturally
https://www.vibebycalifornia.com/top-10-cannabinoid-rich-foods-you-should-be-eating/

i second that--cbd is Not the same as thc. when i had cancer i researched everything cannabis cause i didnt want the standarsd pharma treatment . cbd does not produce a high .
in the plant there is the cbds and thc-a. the thc-a needs heat to convert it into the more potent thc. but thc-a by itself before heat activated for a specific time--its like extra strength tylenol. no high.

i took full strength cannabis oil with the thc to best my cancer and it worked. i take asimilar recipe for fibromyalgia and it works.

here is a tip--
if the material you are using is equal ratio cbd - thc ther eis no high.
if you ever smoke or eat or take a thc product and dont like the feeling or get too high, start eating sugar, candy, snickers, etc--it cancels out the high in a minute or 2. if you eat protein tho--it extends it.

but cbd by itself is very helpful. some people even buy organic hemp oil---that has small amounts of cbd, and it helps some folks by itself.

most people dont know but our bodies have a cannabanoid system--sorry i forgot the exact name but we get cannabanoids in different food-very minor-but our bodies use it. im thinking cabbage is one--cinnamon? some simple every day things.

top 10 foods that have cbds naturally
https://www.vibebycalifornia.com/top-10-cannabinoid-rich-foods-you-should-be-eating/
GREAT, informative post jazzy, thank you!

Yes, stagger them as has already been mentioned. That usually means to take only two 200mg/each Advil tablets at a time (total 400mg). That's a four hour regiment. And two 325mg/each Tylenol tablets (650mg total) is a four hour regiment. So that staggers nicely.

Two 500mg/each Extra Strength Tylenol (1000mg total) should only be taken at six hour intervals.

You can take Advil - two 200mg tablets (400mg total) every four hours. Or three tablets every six hours. Or four tablets every eight hours. But you can't go beyond four at a time max. For some things it works better to take a four tablet Advil dose less frequently. But that makes it a little tougher to stagger, since you have to remember what Advil dose/frequency you are taking and things are not quite as easy as "I have to take something every two hours" and you only have to remember which drug you need to take at any given two hour point.

I guess you could do a two Extra strength Tylenol tablet against three Advil tablet stagger at a three hour stagger point, so it's six hours between doses of the same drug. That would be a question for @DrJenner . I've never done that three hour stagger personally, but I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't do it that way. I have just done the two hour stagger at the lower individual dose level.
I wouldn’t recommend more than 2 advil at a time, 2 or 3 really does the same and it’s hell on your kidneys. 3 hour stagger is fine as long as you don’t exceed 4 mg Tylenol in a 24 hour period (4000 mg).

I am 50 and single with mostly grown kids living off grid on 30 odd acres, two miles from pavement. Last one at home will graduate high school in 2023 and likely move out soon after. I've been working this place for the last 15ish years mostly by myself, the ex left 11 years ago and I've been single since. I love this place and living here but it's a lot for one person to try and keep up with. Sharing it with another or others who want this lifestyle would make it far more enjoyable. I don't go out often, not even to town so meeting people is a bit of a challenge. The homestead still needs a lot of work as all homesteads do. It's a never ending project as are all farms and ranches. My place is way back in the woods with no neighbors close. Although they are getting ready to build a solar farm very near. Which is both good and bad. It almost guarantees no neighbors will be moving anywhere close for years to come. Not that this area is ever likely to grow much. My place is located in the piedmont region of Va so we get all four seasons, sometimes in a single day. lol A few hours drive from the coast and only an hour or so from the mountains plus a couple large lakes less than an hour away and a small river just down the dirt road from here. I have the usual barnyard animals but no barn, yet. The land is almost all hills and has access to two creeks. When I bought it it was all scrub timberland I have been clearing it little by little over the years. Parts of it will always remain in timber but other parts I'd like to see more productive growing crops and such. I am also currently working on building a pond and a few other things. There are several large cities within a couple hour drive, yet the nearest town is about five miles and has one stoplight. Walmart or a big box store is less than an hour away.

I have enough cleared land that with another person or two we could work a great market garden and there is a small 8x60 half walapini style greenhouse that needs finished for year round growing. There's not a lot of work to be found in this area but an enterprising person or family could make a good living here just working the land and selling what they grow and raise. If they want to earn more they could truck farm to one of the cities or find a job. Personally I never liked working for others and prefer to be around people who want to do for themselves.

Pretty much everything here is or has been DIY partly because I enjoy building and partly due to limited income.

If someone were to come here and share this place living arrangements would have to be figured out at that time as this house is small and stuffed. I do have future plans to build something larger here but there's plenty of room for a camper or for a cabin to be built.

This is also a good area to be in if the world keeps going the way it appears to be headed.

At this stage this is nothing more than an idea floating around in my mostly empty mind but I thought I'd through it out there and see if anyone bites. lol

I have no intention of just giving anyone a free ride but if you are willing to work toward a common goal then lets talk.

The first time my wife drove me to the ER in her truck, called ahead, and a team with a gurney was waiting.
The second time i knew to watch for the symptoms of blood in the stool, and Fire Rescue transported me. My hgb the second time was a 7.
Where we live, the nearest ER is a one hour drive. A little quicker by ambulance.
RPD, you have won my heart here. Please don’t take such risks with your life and the ER is an hour away. You worry me.
I wouldn’t recommend more than 2 advil at a time, 2 or 3 really does the same and it’s hell on your kidneys. 3 hour stagger is fine as long as you don’t exceed 4 mg Tylenol in a 24 hour period (4000 mg).
That’s what the doctor told me bout Tylenol after my knee surgery. No more than 4000 mg/day.

@Dani - you might want to consider this:

First, I gave you a subtle hint in post #28 of this thread. I used sarcasm to make my point, as is quite normal for me. Now, nobody in their right mind would expect you to ever take anything I would say to heart. That's a given. So I agree ... mine was a wasted hint.

Then evidently you got a second hint - the flashing edit button - that you mentioned in post #31. I don't know where that came from. My guess would be the mods.

Then Pearl, one of you good friends, gave you another hint in post #32.

I made another flailing attempt at a hint in post #33. This was a much stronger hint, where I tried to lay out what might be problematic in your posts.

None of these were an attack on you. Rather, they were hints for you to stop attacking others - quite out of the blue I might add. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. No doubt, you will take my post here as yet another attack on you, which it isn't, but nonetheless that's how I expect you to interpret it.

Continue on as you see fit.

Yes!!! Important!!!
More than 4,000 mg of Tylenol (acetaminophen) in a 24 hour period will cause severe damage to the liver.
I buy the generic 500mg tablets, and make sure I take no more than 6 per day (3,000 mg).

I wouldn’t recommend more than 2 advil at a time, 2 or 3 really does the same and it’s hell on your kidneys.
I appreciate the opinion. I have taken 3 at a time before, you could count the number of times on one hand. My wife has taken 4 at a time though. I don't know if it's a regional thing, or a different experience thing, but the docs and NP's (PA's too) here are not shy about saying that 3 or 4 at a time can be done (as a short term thing, with appropriate intervals between doses). But I still don't do it personally, except for those few rare occasions when I took 3 Advil. I am much more on the conservative side when it comes to medications, any medication. My wife is more liberal in that regard.

Latest posts

Back