Is prepping and survivalism worth the effort?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washington is not the best place to be if one is scared of volcanoes, earthquakes and nuclear war! we have 5 first wave targets and 6 secondary targets. A meteor hitting the pacific would cause us some problems (depending of size) I will be 2800' up, 130 miles from the coast line so it would have to be one hell of a meteor to flood me out providing it hits the ocean.

That's far enough yes, but Washington is a prime Nuke target? I now realise you're in Washington State and not the city???

A ways from the city yes, we are home to the trident subs, two Air Force bases, large army base and the Hanford site not counting the numerous dams that includes the Grand Coulee dam the largest electric power producing facility in the US, we are a hell of a nuclear target (russia, china, nk)

Eh ?? an oil powered backup heater in a country surrounded by trees? why not get a Frontier stove kit ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anevay-1001-Frontier-Stove/dp/B004DD0S8O

Northern Raider,
you write down wise words, that about food applys to the city dwellers here also...atleast there I think I'm ahead of 99% of my surrounding..only problem here is centralheating..once it's gone,it's gone,these modern houses don't have any back-up heating system any more,which leads me to get a kerosene heater for emergency, one warm room will do for me.
I've tried to convice my oldest son to keep "emergency food" at home..just the way I do,like he suggested to me years ago,now it's my turn

yup,a frontier stove is on my wish-list. if I had the right tools I would make one,found a diy site where they show step by step how to fix it from an old 11 liter gas-bottle

I suggest looking at money morning website interview with Mr Rickards part of CIA threat assessment . he says a major 25 year DEPRESSION is coming very quickly.

You mention the ice storms of 2010. Here in Northern Ireland we actually had a drought because of it due to old infrastructure. Scotland had to send a boat over filled with water!

As time goes on, world financial collapse seems to be the dominant (most likely) SHTF event. Just a question of when. Since I'm behind on my 5 year plan, hoping for later rather than sooner!

it's topics like this,that not only reminds me how ill prepared i once was.but how ill prepared i still am..but yet.i have made at least some good accomplishments since i started prepping for the worse.and im better off since i started..i have items that i normally wouldn't.and id be up a creek at times if i didn't have those items.

it's topics like this,that not only reminds me how ill prepared i once was.but how ill prepared i still am..but yet.i have made at least some good accomplishments since i started prepping for the worse.and im better off since i started..i have items that i normally wouldn't.and id be up a creek at times if i didn't have those items.
There's no doubt in my mind that being prepared for unexpected things in life is just plain old fashioned smart. There will always be things we didn't see coming that disrupt our daily lives, so having supplies to help you through is never a waste.

Doesn't need to be the end of the world. I've already had preps help me out.

Extra food helped us out when money was tight.
Extra water helped us when a plumbing issue meant no running water for 2 weeks.
Extra fuel helped when money was tight, so we could still get to work.
My "life" bag helps on a weekly basis when we're out and someone needs something.

Latest posts

Back