Julekaga

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard of a lefse pan. I had to look it up. Apparently, it's a flat electric griddle. We always did ours directly on the wood cook stove. Now I use 2 big cast iron frying pans on gas.

You also need a lefse roller to get the lefse paper thin with 'proper' markings.

I got confused by someone mentioning thin batter. Lefse isn't a batter, it's a dough. I never heard of anyone putting sugar in the dough before. You get enough by spreading butter on it and sprinkling that with sugar.

I would think that putting sugar in the dough would make it even more difficult to roll out. Sticky is bad news to a lefse rolling pin and so is scorching the lefse.
In my family, we put brown sugar on the lefse. Other local families use white sugar. Apparently there is a difference in different parts of Norway. My maternal grandmother's family came from Stavanger. My paternal grandmother's family came from near Rosendal. They both used brown sugar.

Speaking of church dinners and festivals, early in our relationship my wife and I went to a polish Catholic church for their pork and sauerkraut dinner. One of the priests had a cart he was pushing between tables selling beer. After the dinner, we went downstairs to the basement. In one room, there was a big BINGO game going on. In the other room, was a band and polka dancing. Of course, they were also selling beer downstairs.

My wife said I have to call my son. (Her son is a Texas southern Baptist minister.) She got him on the line and said, "You're not going to believe this! In Minnesota, you can dance, gamble, and drink in the churches."
Dancing in some churches was absolutely seen as a bad thing to do. I am not someone who is a good dancer or likes to dance in public, but when I am home and alone, I can get up and dance when some fun music comes on.

What we haven't talked about is Norwegian Potato Dumplings, with a few different names: Pault, Pult, Klubb, Klub, Korppkakor, Raspeball, kumle, komle, kompe, and potetball

KLUBB RECIPE – NORWEGIAN POTATO DUMPLINGS

[COLOR=var(--tr-star-color)][COLOR=var(--wp--custom--color--link)]★★★★★4.8 from 33 reviews
https://ramshacklepantry.com/klubb-recipe-norwegian-potato-dumplings/print/4389/#respond[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

DESCRIPTION

These Norwegian Klubb Dumplings are so tasty, filling, and a great way to celebrate Scandinavia. Whether it is a holiday tradition or a weeknight meal, these dumplings are worth the effort.

4 potatoes, peeled and shredded

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • Approximately 4 ounces ham or other cooked pork cut into 8–12 cubes
  • 5 Tablespoons melted butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring large pot of salted water to hard simmer
  2. While water is warming, grate potatoes and put in big bowl
  3. Add flour, egg, and salt to the bowl
  4. Mix and knead until firm. Add more flour if necessary to bring to stiff bread dough consistency
  5. Wrap dough around one cube of ham. Each dumpling should be the size of a large meatball and you should get 8-12 dumplings.
  6. Drop dumpling into simmering water and allow to cook for 45 minutes, making sure dumpling does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
  7. remove with a slotted spoon and serve with butter, salt, and pepper

https://ramshacklepantry.com/klubb-recipe-norwegian-potato-dumplings/

^^^ Kumla is a staple for the Norwegians in Central Iowa. The tavern in my hometown sells kumla for Sunday dinner and it always sells out. The wild thing about kumla is that it grows in your belly after you eat it. You'll feel even more full 2 hours after eating it. The leftover dumplings are even better the second day - cut them in thin slices and fry them in butter. OMG it is good!

Dancing in some churches was absolutely seen as a bad thing to do. I am not someone who is a good dancer or likes to dance in public, but when I am home and alone, I can get up and dance when some fun music comes on.

What we haven't talked about is Norwegian Potato Dumplings, with a few different names: Pault, Pult, Klubb, Klub, Korppkakor, Raspeball, kumle, komle, kompe, and potetball

KLUBB RECIPE – NORWEGIAN POTATO DUMPLINGS

[COLOR=var(--tr-star-color)][COLOR=var(--wp--custom--color--link)]★★★★★4.8 from 33 reviewsKlubb Recipe - Norwegian Potato Dumplings[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

DESCRIPTION

These Norwegian Klubb Dumplings are so tasty, filling, and a great way to celebrate Scandinavia. Whether it is a holiday tradition or a weeknight meal, these dumplings are worth the effort.

4 potatoes, peeled and shredded

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • Approximately 4 ounces ham or other cooked pork cut into 8–12 cubes
  • 5 Tablespoons melted butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring large pot of salted water to hard simmer
  2. While water is warming, grate potatoes and put in big bowl
  3. Add flour, egg, and salt to the bowl
  4. Mix and knead until firm. Add more flour if necessary to bring to stiff bread dough consistency
  5. Wrap dough around one cube of ham. Each dumpling should be the size of a large meatball and you should get 8-12 dumplings.
  6. Drop dumpling into simmering water and allow to cook for 45 minutes, making sure dumpling does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
  7. remove with a slotted spoon and serve with butter, salt, and pepper

https://ramshacklepantry.com/klubb-recipe-norwegian-potato-dumplings/
Mom would make pork, sauerkraut, and potato dumplings in an electric fry pan. She would slow cook the pork chunks or pork ribs in the sauerkraut. Then, about 30 minutes before serving, she would ladle the potato dumpling batter onto the pork/sauerkraut mess. The steam from the kraut would cook the dumplings. It was heavenly!

When I lived nearer Lake Superior the only Lutherine church near had a lutefisk, lefsa fund raiser.. It was WONDERFUL... They boiled the lutefisk outside with a turkey fryer.. Like said you could smell it 2 miles away...

All the other churches near were Czech, Bohemian Catholic parishes with roast beef, turkey, chicken, spaghetti and other dinner fund raisers... All with bake sales... As a single guy I rarely had to cook..
My Czech great grandmother had a brother who lived in the Mishicot area. They got water for their cattle from Lake Superior. He had lived in Chicago and was there during the big Chicago fire. I have a spinning wheel that he made for my g grandmother.

My new to me rosette iron came in the mail. I'm working on some other projects now, but will try to make some gluten free rosettes before Christmas.

My Czech great grandmother had a brother who lived in the Mishicot area. They got water for their cattle from Lake Superior. He had lived in Chicago and was there during the big Chicago fire. I have a spinning wheel that he made for my g grandmother.

My new to me rosette iron came in the mail. I'm working on some other projects now, but will try to make some gluten free rosettes before Christmas.
I'm thinking if he lived in Mishicot that he got his water from Lake Michigan. :)

My wife would love to see a photo of the spinning wheel. She has 7 or 8 wheels right now and one other wheel is in the house that I am repairing for a person in her fiber guild.

I'm thinking if he lived in Mishicot that he got his water from Lake Michigan. :)

My wife would love to see a photo of the spinning wheel. She has 7 or 8 wheels right now and one other wheel is in the house that I am repairing for a person in her fiber guild.
Oops! Probably Lake Michigan!

I saw this photo on a Scandinavian site. I did not make them. Beautiful rosettes
rosettes.JPG

This recipe popped up. I'm posting a photo of them because I think they are interesting looking.
Norwegian oatmeal cookies.jpg
I know another cookie that my neighbors made. I'll have to look for it.

Norwegian Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 T. Karo syrup
1 T. water
1 t. vanilla
1 cup oatmeal (I use quick oats)
1 cup coconut
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Sift the first three ingredients together into a large bowl. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Using a teaspoon, drop the batter onto a baking pan making sure there is about 2” between each cookie (they flatten out). Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back