Just Add Water Meals... Again (?)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
This poster has a number of videos about making homemade meals in a jar.. I like her approach to doing this as it is close to the recopies I developed that would survive in a cold climate.. I'm going look up as many of her videos as I can find...

About the only 2 major differences I see is I used soup base as a seasoning instead of boullion as bullion is too salty for my taste.. I also tried to use more local grocery store seasonings, and home dehydrated ingredients to not have to go to the internet for as little used as possible.. For instance dried peas are easily available, frozen mixed veggies are easily home dehydrated.. You get the idea.. Here are just a few videos available....

www.youtube.com/@homesteadcorner/videos

That's how I started my food storage years ago. I just put the "meals in a jar" recipe in a mylar bag. I made 2 yrs worth of dinners that way. She's been doing alot of those recipes lately, I subscribe to her. I've found salt free powdered bouillon, and it's a worthy substitute. Also, you can dehydrate mixed veg, then powder them for veggie bouillon.

This poster has a number of videos about making homemade meals in a jar.. I like her approach to doing this as it is close to the recopies I developed that would survive in a cold climate.. I'm going look up as many of her videos as I can find...

About the only 2 major differences I see is I used soup base as a seasoning instead of boullion as bullion is too salty for my taste.. I also tried to use more local grocery store seasonings, and home dehydrated ingredients to not have to go to the internet for as little used as possible.. For instance dried peas are easily available, frozen mixed veggies are easily home dehydrated.. You get the idea.. Here are just a few videos available....

I agree bouillon is salty
You can make your own, pot roast is a great way to get all the Favors.

I agree bouillon is salty
You can make your own, pot roast is a great way to get all the Favors.
== ==
I did a quick Google of ...homemade soup base starter recipes... and found a lot of info available.. I kind of like the idea of a small beef roast with some root veggies cooked way down in the slow cooker... Grind it fine, grind to a slurry consistency in the food processor, dehydrate.... Same with a bit of chicken... Reading this again it sounds like a lot of work, but a much more desirable product with less salt and more flavor... Also.... I bet bear or moose meat would work well... ??....

DW makes bone broth to add to soups.

Reactions: Neb
DW makes bone broth to add to soups.
== ==
At one time I helped make a lot of homemade chicken stock... Freezing and later boiling chicken and turkey carcusses with root veggies for a stock..

The trick is to use 1 table spoon vinegar up to 12 or so quarts of stock mix to get the best from the bones... Also only use 1 table spoon of vinegar for this as that is all you need.. The idea the pot is big so use more vinegar is NOT a good idea...

My 5 cents of experience...

Looks like a very interesting wedsite. I will enjoy going through her recipes. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back