Just started a new tradition: Generator Preparedness Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've decided that the last Saturday of September will be my Generator Preparedness day.

Cleaning the spark plug, checking the gap, checking the oil, draining and refilling with fresh fuel, and running it for at least 20 minutes with a load on it (garage freezer) to make sure it's ready when and if I need it this Fall/Winter.

Anyone else do this annually?

I lose electricity 8 to 10 times a year so no scheduled run times here. If I'm lucky enough to go 3 months straight without losing power I fire it up anyway for at least 30 minutes. 2 to 3 times a year I'll have to run an entire tank of fuel through it under load... (about 6 hours runtime).

I change the oil 3 to 4 times a year. To keep the carburetor from gumming up I don't shut the generator down with the off switch. Just under the tank there is shut-off valve in the fuel line before it gets to the carb. I shut down the engine by closing that valve. The engine will burn all the fuel left in the carb leaving it empty. There is no fuel left to dry and start to gum up the carb. A little carb cleaner while running the engine once or twice a year keeps the carb nice and clean.

I keep two spare plugs on hand... it gets a new plug once a year.

I do my generators in August just in time for hurricane season also for the winter time ice storms. (NC) I keep extra spark plugs and air filters for each of mine. (3)
Something I do is when I fire mine up, I don't let it run wide open. I start it and manually hold the linkage so it idles. No need to run it wide open.

Latest posts

Back