Keeping An Eye On Grocery and other Necessary Products

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Which major stores are selling out first?

Here we have,
WalMart
Amazon
Publix
WinnDixie

Anyone still use Amazon and are they still as slow as they were last month?
What products and food is going to be in short supply in your areas?
Here it is,

Bleach
Flour
potatoes
Baby oil
Desitin for heat rash for both old and young.Already cancelled two of my orders at local Walmart

Here we have walmart, martins(Giant), food lion and weis markets. I only go to walmart and martins. the other 2 stores are farther away and I only go if they have absolutely great deals on things

So far as I can tell these are in short supply right now or completely empty:
Flour
yeast
bleach
TP
paper towels
pasta
frozen fruit
lunchmeat
canned meats ( all kinds)
rice and noodles
lipton sides/meal kits ( and the store brands also)
canned biscuits/crescent rolls/pizza dough
cookie dough
canned veggies ( martins)

There are a lot of things we don't use or eat so I can't tell if they're stocked or not. We don't eat any frozen breakfast foods or frozen pizzas or frozen meals so I don't go down those aisles and don't know of they're stocked.
Same for the chips/cookies aisle
Last time I was at the grocery store there was plenty of fresh meat of all kinds. Have no idea right now since we have plenty right now

I've never used amazon for food. Just some supplies for hydroponics and some kindle books

I can tell you gardening supplies are far and few between too. More people are trying to garden this year that is a fact

I should have taken a photo of the sign! I ventured out to Costco today, one of their business centers. I went early and had a long list. I decided that I wanted to get some things that I wouldn't really want neighbors to see or have to deal with (bag of red beans, bag of flour, bag of garbanzo beans and bag of rice.

They had a sign at the entrance that said :
No wipes
face masks
yeast
bleach
and a few more items that I do not remember.

Costco had pallets of toilet paper and paper towels, and even now, people had 3 of the large packages in their carts. Maybe they were for their friends, family and neighbors, or maybe some people still feel hysterical and scared.

Costco had a well stocked row dedicated on one side to a variety of rice, and another one dedicated to dry beans on one side. There were lots of canned beans in # 10 cans in other places. In the past, I have only seen pinto beans at Costco, but today they had 25 pound bags of pintos, black beans, red beans, northern beans, and garbanzo beans. They were also well stocked with flour.

We have King Sooper's (Kroger's), Safeway, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Costco, Sam's, Walmart, Save-a-Lot. We also have a few large Asian markets: H-Mart, and more. There are also several groceries that stock Hispanic oriented foods, and Save-a-Lot is more like that.

Most of my grocery shopping is done at Costco, and some at a Safeway, because it is significantly closer to where I live than King Sooper's is.

Here we have walmart, martins(Giant), food lion and weis markets. I only go to walmart and martins. the other 2 stores are farther away and I only go if they have absolutely great deals on things

So far as I can tell these are in short supply right now or completely empty:
Flour
yeast
bleach
TP
paper towels
pasta
frozen fruit
lunchmeat
canned meats ( all kinds)
rice and noodles
lipton sides/meal kits ( and the store brands also)
canned biscuits/crescent rolls/pizza dough
cookie dough
canned veggies ( martins)

There are a lot of things we don't use or eat so I can't tell if they're stocked or not. We don't eat any frozen breakfast foods or frozen pizzas or frozen meals so I don't go down those aisles and don't know of they're stocked.
Same for the chips/cookies aisle
Last time I was at the grocery store there was plenty of fresh meat of all kinds. Have no idea right now since we have plenty right now

I've never used amazon for food. Just some supplies for hydroponics and some kindle books

I can tell you gardening supplies are far and few between too. More people are trying to garden this year that is a fact

Oh My! WVDragonL, so I guess it time to start buying what we can get.
We use delivery and that woman is thorough!
I was going to see if Amazon was doing better now since they were real behind .WalMart and WinnDixie here is great with delivery,so far anyway.
We just ordered two 20' box fans Tuesday from WalMart and one delivered here next day. Also ordred soem other products that should be here today from WalMart.
Going to put in order for WinnDixie later today. So far very happy with the $14.00 mon. SHIPT delivery service fro Publix and WinnDixie.

I should have taken a photo of the sign! I ventured out to Costco today, one of their business centers. I went early and had a long list. I decided that I wanted to get some things that I wouldn't really want neighbors to see or have to deal with (bag of red beans, bag of flour, bag of garbanzo beans and bag of rice.

They had a sign at the entrance that said :
No wipes
face masks
yeast
bleach
and a few more items that I do not remember.

Costco had pallets of toilet paper and paper towels, and even now, people had 3 of the large packages in their carts. Maybe they were for their friends, family and neighbors, or maybe some people still feel hysterical and scared.

Costco had a well stocked row dedicated on one side to a variety of rice, and another one dedicated to dry beans on one side. There were lots of canned beans in # 10 cans in other places. In the past, I have only seen pinto beans at Costco, but today they had 25 pound bags of pintos, black beans, red beans, northern beans, and garbanzo beans. They were also well stocked with flour.

We have King Sooper's (Kroger's), Safeway, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Costco, Sam's, Walmart, Save-a-Lot. We also have a few large Asian markets: H-Mart, and more. There are also several groceries that stock Hispanic oriented foods, and Save-a-Lot is more like that.

Most of my grocery shopping is done at Costco, and some at a Safeway, because it is significantly closer to where I live than King Sooper's is.

Wedy that is good news far as the 25lb. bags of rice and beans. We can can the heck out of those beans for protien. An of course rice is always a good staple.

I'd love to get soem canned fruit but bet it cost too muc hif there is any. Plus nore butter and sugar for baking. Gotta have my sweets and chocolate.We have plenty of cocoa so far.A chocolate cake is coming up soon for us.

I've been stocking up when I come across what we eat. Just got 6 cans of hubby's pineapple ( he goes thru 2 cans a week for his lunch), also any noodles or pasta. Canned beets ( we needed more pickled beets so I bought another 6 cans). I have half gallon jars full of beans vacuum sealed and cases of canned beans so we're good on those for the time being. This past monday I got the last 2 bags of dried egg noodles on the shelf. I need to stock up on some more canned milks ( both types)

In order for me to a costco or a sam's club I have to travel to another state. There aren't any closer around here.

I have containers and containers of hershey's cocoa lol I have a hershey's cocoa recipe book I found at the thrift store. Also have chocolate bark for making nut clusters and fudge

I have to make either a spice cake or a carrot cake for hubby's b.day later this month

We just put in a order an hour ago to WinnDixie, said it will be here between 5 and 6pm today. We'll see what they call and tell me they are out of.
Ordered some can goods, ice cream and junk food one bag of low salt chips, candy. Not much junk food and we bake most of our deserts.

I am about due to make another run to Wal Mart, but haven't been there in about three weeks, so don't know how inventory looks. Last time I was there almost everything was in stock. Yeast has been like hen's teeth, but I don't think that is on the list this time.

Meerkat: to answer your question I don't think Amazon has improved. We ordered TP, Paper Towels, and Nitrile Gloves about two weeks ago. We got the Paper Towels, but not the TP or gloves. I thought when I ordered them it said they were in stock. I am not impressed.

Our Sav-a-lot store has closed it's doors.
Lack of business- no sale bill ever.
Most people didn't even no we had one.
There are several in my area, but none close to me. I used to go into one on my way to and from where my daughter used to live. I haven't driven by it in two months, so I have no idea if it is open now.

This past monday I got the last 2 bags of dried egg noodles on the shelf.
Have you ever made noodles? It is not hard, just a little work. We had homemade noodles with chicken, chicken and noodles, frequently, when I was growing up. I have a hand crank Marcato pasta machine, a yard sale find. I haven't had it out of the box in years.

We have Sams, Costco (I don't have a membership there), Smiths (Krogers), Albertsons, and Walmart (hardly ever go there). There is tp now, limits on it, but no paper towels. Meat prices are double, and supply is thin. Milk is back and is a little more expensive. Eggs are up and down each week, sometimes there aren't any. Problem with pasta. I haven't checked for bleach, wipes, or sanitation stuff because we have it. Glad I had 3 bins of pasta in the garage. Seems there's no spaghetti to be found. Big Lots has some food, but nothing you can count on.

I am about due to make another run to Wal Mart, but haven't been there in about three weeks, so don't know how inventory looks. Last time I was there almost everything was in stock. Yeast has been like hen's teeth, but I don't think that is on the list this time.

Meerkat: to answer your question I don't think Amazon has improved. We ordered TP, Paper Towels, and Nitrile Gloves about two weeks ago. We got the Paper Towels, but not the TP or gloves. I thought when I ordered them it said they were in stock. I am not impressed.

Thanks Morgan, we won't order freom them then. We just got part of order from WalMart 10 minutes ago. So thats 2 day will see if rest of order comes today.

We have Sams, Costco (I don't have a membership there), Smiths (Krogers), Albertsons, and Walmart (hardly ever go there). There is tp now, limits on it, but no paper towels. Meat prices are double, and supply is thin. Milk is back and is a little more expensive. Eggs are up and down each week, sometimes there aren't any. Problem with pasta. I haven't checked for bleach, wipes, or sanitation stuff because we have it. Glad I had 3 bins of pasta in the garage. Seems there's no spaghetti to be found. Big Lots has some food, but nothing you can count on.
I think I saw something about Costco having its own meat plants. That is okay, as long as everyone who used to buy their meat somewhere else doesn't now decide to get their meat at Costco. I did hear that they are limiting quantities, but I didn't even have meat on my list today. My freezer is full.

Swung by the store today after picking up prescriptions.
The meat section was packed slam full from end to end. Nothing was even low.
Got everything I went for.:great:

Can beans, DW has always bought way too many cans of beans, & double that everytime there is a sale.
I no long say thats too much, C-19 did not hurt us at the grocery, but it could have if we had/ well DW had not stocked up all year long.
I am only talking about weekly groceries, not long term storage, we have a box of can goods in the backroom, becase no room in kitchen.
Could have bought more peanutbutter.

Rather a different situation here in Australia where the infection rate here was very low as the government here was one of the first countries to stop international travel to here. Although cruise ship passengers were a different matter.

We are starting to come out of first stage lockdown in a week and currently can have two visitors in our home and can now travel for unessential travel up to 50 km from our home. Previously it was only essential travel for medical, compassionate grounds and work.

Clubs and restaurants now can open with up to 10 patrons as of next Saturday with social distancing of 1.5 metres and strict cleaning regimens in place.

Currently we are seeing stores put on really good specials on meat etc as grocery spending is down by about 20% as everyone went hog wild panic buying in the lead up from beginning of March. Vegetable and fruit prices have gone up dramatically as have eggs and the odd company is trying to price gouge on meat but I can always find it very cheap elsewhere if I search.

Grocery stores in areas we frequent for DH's medical appointments which is when we go shopping are -
Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, Drakes Supermarkets and IGA.

They have now taken off the food purchase restrictions on most items except flour, toilet paper, pasta and hand sanitiser.

Shortages for @Tank-Girl we have noticed from over a week ago are mostly in the cheaper brands being -

- Flour in all brands.
- Yeast.
- Methylated spirits.
- Cloudy ammonia.
- Disinfectant.
- Face masks.
- Gloves.
- Frozen vegetables

We fortunately had near on a years supply of everything before this started but when we went for a medical appointment we topped up on things we had used that we saw.

Before there was shortages on just about everything and purchase limits too at one time being you could only buy 2 tins of fruit and 2 tins of vegetables and everything at a time, 1 toilet paper, 1 pasta, 1 sanitiser, 1 disinfectant.

Hopefully this gives you all in the States an idea of coming out the other side of the virus and what will happen with grocery prices. There will be really good specials so take advantage of them as most people have less income and or have topped up so much during the crisis.

Yeast has become the unicorn of baking because there's none to be found. I'm fine with biscuits and cornbread plus store bought for sandwiches. I did see that wine making yeast can be used for bread and could order that or I could always get a starter going. Most things seem to be gradually coming back even if it's limited but almost everything seems to be a little higher.

Yeast has become the unicorn of baking because there's none to be found. I'm fine with biscuits and cornbread plus store bought for sandwiches. I did see that wine making yeast can be used for bread and could order that or I could always get a starter going. Most things seem to be gradually coming back even if it's limited but almost everything seems to be a little higher.
You think that's bad, how are you going to make your shine, I mean grain juice, without yeast?

Latest posts

Back