Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As most are aware, Kidde (and other many other name brands) have recalled something like 44 million fire extinguishers going all the way back to 1975 or so. If you're not aware, look it up unless all your extinguishers are made by First Alert.

I had 10 on the recall list and submitted my recalled items via their site. I got a package yesterday and another today, each containing a new one. The paperwork is in there on how to return your old one but I have no idea which one of these 10 I'm supposed to put in the box.

For those of you that are getting the new ones in, are you getting different sizes back and then do you just try to match it to the closest old one you need returned?

Has anyone seen a site or otherwise that lists what new models are replacing the old/bad models? I'd then know which one to put in the return box.

My sister got her replacement but I haven't received mine yet. If no one knows I'll check with her in the morning to see if she knows.

Last edited:
I received 2 for the 2 that I called about. There were no return directions, probably because I live in Alaska. Both old ones were identical as were the 2 new ones though the new ones were slightly larger. I'd just wait till you get all ten and sort it out the best that you can.

I just received an e-mail from Kidde. Looks like more won't be coming soon.

Thank you for participating in Kidde’s fire extinguisher replacement program. Customer safety is our priority and we are pleased by the strong response to our recall announcement. However, due to high demand the most comparable replacement for your unit is backordered.

We regret any inconvenience this has caused and are working diligently to fulfill your order as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Do you have a plastic handle Kidde brand fire extinguisher? If so you might be eligible to get a brand new replacement extinguisher for free. See the link below and if applicable fill out the form and Kidde will send you a brand new replacement for you to use however you want and there is no returning the old ones! I received two replacement extinguishers about a month after filling out the form.

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...fire-extinguishers/fx-recall-affected-models/

I tried both of mine.
They worked just fine.

I don't think it's just the plastic handled one (even though the website says so). The recall is pretty extensive and really needs to be taken seriously. Apparently at the local state university and state government buildings they had about a 1:3 failure rate when testing extinguishers that otherwise appeared to be in perfect working order. These were mostly metal handled commercial fire extinguishers. Not sure if they were Kiddie branded or just made by Kiddie.

Well, mine were unceremoniously left on the front porch so if your in an area which suffers from porch thieves they would be easy prey for them.
We have a p.o. Box. Mail thieves are horrible here. Fed ex and ups put packages in a lock box outside our gate.

Ours were several years old but fell within the recall, so we contacted Kidde. They arranged for us to ship them back at no cost to us and we were sent new replacements quickly - like a week later.

More recall information.
Push button types are recalled also.
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/product-alerts/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-files/N130284/US_Push+Button+Product+ID+Guide.pdf

Push Button Fire Extinguishers
Push button fire extinguishers: The recall involves eight models of Kidde push button fire extinguishers
manufactured between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017. The no gauge push button extinguishers were sold in red and white, and with a red or black nozzle. These models were sold primarily for kitchen and personal watercraft applications.
Push Button P indicator Models produced between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017
KK2
100D
210D
M5P
M5PM
AUTO 5FX
AUTO 5FX
-
FF 210D
-

I filled out the online forms and like four weeks later there were two boxes on the front porch with a new extinguisher and wall mount in each.

I had 10 that were recalled. It took a bit of time but I did get all 10 replacements.

I had all the old ones packaged up ready to be returned then had an idea. I called Kidde customer service to get their feedback and they thought it was a great idea and I should go for it.

Instead of returning them, give them to the Boy Scouts or local fire department for training kids. Most kids/people don't get a chance to actually use an extinguisher until it's actually needed on a fire. This will give them a chance to actually use one so they get real-world experience. All Kidde asks is that if there is a failure, mail it back so I'm going to give them out in the return packaging with the caveat that if one doesn't work, they box it back up and mail it to Kidde.

I had 10 that were recalled. It took a bit of time but I did get all 10 replacements.

I had all the old ones packaged up ready to be returned then had an idea. I called Kidde customer service to get their feedback and they thought it was a great idea and I should go for it.

Instead of returning them, give them to the Boy Scouts or local fire department for training kids. Most kids/people don't get a chance to actually use an extinguisher until it's actually needed on a fire. This will give them a chance to actually use one so they get real-world experience. All Kidde asks is that if there is a failure, mail it back so I'm going to give them out in the return packaging with the caveat that if one doesn't work, they box it back up and mail it to Kidde.
Many local fire departments will hold training classes with a real fire pit and expired extinguishers to train people on proper use and not spraying into the fire but just over it to suffocate the flames.

Latest posts

Back