Kitchen first aid

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't. No butter either. Or toothpaste. None of that old wive's tale type of stuff. It doesn't help anything, and will just make things worse.
My mother said all that will hold the heat in, so mother would run cold water over the burn, it seem to work..

Don't. No butter either. Or toothpaste. None of that old wive's tale type of stuff...

Yep, 'bout the Only 'practical alternative' for Small-area kitchen-burns is an Aloe plant - which you can 'break off' one leaf / treat a 1st, and even a - Mild - 2nd degree burn, safely with, but.. Anything truly 'serious', will need professional attention / treatments (hydrogels, etc)

Butter is for Toast and/or Waffles. :)

jd

Yep, 'bout the Only 'practical alternative' for Small-area kitchen-burns is an Aloe plant - which you can 'break off' one leaf / treat a 1st, and even a - Mild - 2nd degree burn, safely with, but.. Anything truly 'serious', will need professional attention / treatments (hydrogels, etc)

Butter is for Toast and/or Waffles. :)

jd
Having gone to culinary school, I can attest to the above. Also once the pain subsides, I start using vitamin E cream on the area.

For the more severe burns but ones that don't need ER, BurnJel (WaterJel) that you can get in any pharmacy is fantastic.

Let's say, you have a pan full of bacon, and the grease catches fire. What do you do? Grab it and try to run to the sink? If you are successful with getting it to a sink, then what? Pour water on it? Nope, not me. I love the idea of those fire blankets.

I believe this will be my next purchase.

Let's say, you have a pan full of bacon, and the grease catches fire. What do you do?..

If it's a Round (or square) skillet with a well-sealing Lid - just Cover it, and turn off flame. :cool: And Let it Cool before removing the Lid / sliding to a cooler burner, ie: Also cover it with a damp (but not dripping) towel. But sure - if you've got a 'raging bonfire' (or if it's a Square cast-iron Griddle / Deep-dish skillet, that Has-no Lid, and a 'cookie sheet as-lid' won't work due to size, etc) then - calmly - smother with one of those blankets. 👍

..But, yah, putting water on a grease fire is the Perfect recipe for 'How to Burn yer House Down in One Swift Move'.. ;)

jd

Let's say, you have a pan full of bacon, and the grease catches fire. What do you do? Grab it and try to run to the sink? If you are successful with getting it to a sink, then what? Pour water on it? Nope, not me. I love the idea of those fire blankets.

Flour. Throw flour on it.

Flour. Throw flour on it.

ONLY IF it's SMALL (flames under 8") If they're Over 8" (say, reaching the Underside of a smoke-hood / microwave underbelly) and / or the Oil-pool is 'deep', tossing Flour or Baking Soda into it risks splashing the oil Outside the pan - where it Can also 'flash' (especially if ya've Not-yet turned off the flame / burner) and Now ya've just got a 'larger-area Problem'.. 🤔

I mean, the "concept" is sound (smother it with flour, etc) but, in-practice, still Best to just 'smother all at Once', via Lid, and wet towel or "Fire blanket".. 👍

jd

Screenshot at 2024-04-25 12-46-24.png

I just got one for us and gave 3 more to my family members.

Lavender essential oil is very good on a burn after cold water to cool it down. My wife grabbed a hot cookie sheet once and had 2 blisters pop up right away. Ran cold water over it for a good 10 minutes. Then I used an eye dropper to put a few drops around the burn area. Next day blisters were gone, 2 days other than a little redness, you couldn't tell where the burn was.

Last edited:

Or you could put a lid on the pan - or even another larger pan.
@Jen if the fire blankets are anything remotely close to what they use when fighting fires, yes! Friends and family who are alive due to their existence. (Forest fires)

@Haertig and @SoJer i was instructed that in culinary school by two of our chef instructors. Never had cause to put it into practice—we were also required to be on top of our cooking so as not to let anything get away from us 😉

That right there is good practice when cooking. Pay attention when working at the stovetop.

@Haertig and @SoJer i was instructed that in culinary school by two of our chef instructors.
I was instructed about throwing flour into a fire in Boy Scouts (but I will admit, not by the troop leaders). Of course, the objective there was not to put out the campfire, but to scare the crap out of the other scouts sitting around the campfire. It worked!

I was instructed about throwing flour into a fire in Boy Scouts (but I will admit, not by the troop leaders). Of course, the objective there was not to put out the campfire, but to scare the crap out of the other scouts sitting around the campfire. It worked!
Hmmm. We can kick dirt or sand onto a fire to aid in extinguishing it. What is different about flour that does what it did in the picture of post 18? Is it something that happens to it in the milling process or the molecular structure of it?

Not being argumentative, just my gray matter being inquisitive.

Or you could put a lid on the pan - or even another larger pan.
@Jen if the fire blankets are anything remotely close to what they use when fighting fires, yes! Friends and family who are alive due to their existence. (Forest fires)
I think it's wise to have several lines of defense ready. And I know about lids but needed reminding. Thanks.

What is different about flour that does what it did in the picture of post 18?
I think the difference is that flour is flammable. Maybe not so much when it is packed tight in a storage bag, but when aerosolized and spread around in a dust cloud it is. Kind of like gasoline. The liquid is not what burns - it is the gases that it gives off or the little droplets that are spread around as it aerosolizes.

Back