Knitting & Crochet 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
First project of the year using this Lang yarn. I've attached the pattern also - I hope!
1704464631040.png
1704464656944.png

Attachments

• Mille Colori hat scarf[3040].pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I am unraveling the never ending blanket among other things.
Seems I dropped a series of stitches through out the blanket in various places.
So as I unravel it, I just knit or crochet it into something else.
This never ending blanket was over 5 feet square.
Still working on class project of gloves with fingers in sock yarn.
Sock yarn because that what I had at the time.
Glove project for school is due 1 March 2024.

I've booked into crochet classes, if there's enough people to get them going. I only have basics, and need to learn properly how to do a granny square. It never comes out right.

Have a pair of fingerless mitts finished to sew up. Just used two strands of dk wool from a leftover ball that cost me €3. I got a load of baby hats for a friend and gloves for myself. Bargain. Its from a free pattern I've used loads of times, and adapt to suit what I need.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/last-minute-mitts-3
WIN_20240107_11_37_57_Pro.jpg

I've booked into crochet classes, if there's enough people to get them going. I only have basics, and need to learn properly how to do a granny square. It never comes out right.

Have a pair of fingerless mitts finished to sew up. Just used two strands of dk wool from a leftover ball that cost me €3. I got a load of baby hats for a friend and gloves for myself. Bargain. Its from a free pattern I've used loads of times, and adapt to suit what I need.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/last-minute-mitts-3
View attachment 122412
Is that the Crocodile stitch? Has that stitch been called something else in the past.
I don't know it by that name.
It's on my list of stitches to learn.

I'm not sure about over there, wht stich it is called. Here it is a faux cable. So you don't need a cable needle to do it.
So over three stitches its -
Slip one, knit one, pass the slipped stitch over.
Then on the next row purl one, yarn around needle, purl one.
Knit all three stitches on next row
Purl all three on next row
Start again.

I don't! And it's stupid, I'm not a bad knitter, but I cannot manage in the round. I start so many times and end up fighting with the needle cord, or making a stretchy bit so I have a gap of thread. It ruins the karma of knitting so I just go back to the straight needles. I've even knitted socks flat. I would love to be able, but obviously need a hands-on lesson. The lovely people in a Dublin shop, 'This is Knit' offered to show me how, but they are too far away, and tbh their yarn is very expensive, I didn't want to rock up with some imported acrylic for a lesson! I buy once a year in their sale, and only a skein or two, otherwise I'd have to sell a kidney.

I don't! And it's stupid, I'm not a bad knitter, but I cannot manage in the round. I start so many times and end up fighting with the needle cord, or making a stretchy bit so I have a gap of thread. It ruins the karma of knitting so I just go back to the straight needles. I've even knitted socks flat. I would love to be able, but obviously need a hands-on lesson. The lovely people in a Dublin shop, 'This is Knit' offered to show me how, but they are too far away, and tbh their yarn is very expensive, I didn't want to rock up with some imported acrylic for a lesson! I buy once a year in their sale, and only a skein or two, otherwise I'd have to sell a kidney.
I know a lady that spins her own yarn
I have no idea if her prices are hi or low would you like her face book contact info?_

Try this fella on YouTube. Norman really knows how to teach.

he knits continental but I have no problem picking up what he’s doing

Thank you. I am a self taught knitter and long time novice 😬. I graduated from wash clothes to socks. The first pair I made fit my dad. Second pair fit me but just did short to make sure they fit. Am now on my third pair.
Anyhoo all that to say it can be difficult to find videos that are able to say things in a way that makes sense.

I know a lady that spins her own yarn
I have no idea if her prices are hi or low would you like her face book contact info?_
Hello and thank you. I have a few local contacts already. If your friend is in the States the shipping would be really expensive, but I appreciate your offer.

Mine always fall off the needles so I will learn to knit socks some day on circular needles or a loom.
When I first started with dpns, I would stick those needle covers on the ends to help me get used to managing the stitches not in use. Now I knit almost exclusively on dpn or circulars.

As per @LadyLocust request. I started this yarn on October 19, 2022 when is was raw fleece.
IMG_2416.jpeg

Each skein is between 250 and 325 yards.

Still have one skein on the bobbin relaxing before measuring off.
IMG_2418.jpeg

This is from the Romney Cross ewe fleece. I still have some singles on 2 bobbins and quite a bit more to spin but in now have enough to get started on the sweater jacket. The balance will be for hat and gloves/mitts.

The combing waste will be carded and spun woolen for dye experiments.

Last edited:
That is beautiful work! Curious to know if Donegal tweed is expensive over there? It's one of the few that hasn't gone up in price since covid, and they've actually extended the range. https://thisisknit.ie/collections/yarn-yarn-by-brand-studio-donegal

This is a shop I like to browse in Dublin when I visit. Its a dearer shop than some, but in a gorgeous old Georgian building in the city centre with coffee shop etc, and the staff are lovely. Nice vibes. https://www.powerscourtcentre.ie/
I would love to be able to just pop over there for a little shopping and food.

I knit that sweater about 30 years ago and have long used up my stash of Donegal. I haven’t been purchasing yarn in some time—working through stash and spinning my own now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back