Knitting & Crochet 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am unraveling the never ending blanket among other things.
Seems I dropped a series of stitches through out the blanket in various places.
So as I unravel it, I just knit or crochet it into something else.
This never ending blanket was over 5 feet square.
Still working on class project of gloves with fingers in sock yarn.
Sock yarn because that what I had at the time.
Glove project for school is due 1 March 2024.
Got a B on the glove project for class.
Teacher was impressed that I made the gloves with sock yarn due to sight problems at the time.
Got an A for effort.
But the B was the final grade,because the last thumb wasn't attached properly.
I'm happy.
I now know I can make gloves, another item checked off being prepared bucket list.

Okay wearers of all things knit or woven. I just found this gizmo and love it. I don’t think it’s a new invention but it’s a good one. It’s a speedweve. I got the 14 pin. It has made darning/repairing socks so much faster and nicer looking 👀 (I am not a great darner). I’m improving, but learning on my old holey sock then will work on a couple nicer sweaters 😍. Thought I’d share in case anyone is interested.

IMG_6890.jpeg

Saturday on tv was alot of sport - The final of the six nations rugby was on (Ireland won) and some soccer I follow, so I gathered up my sewing basket and knitting and spent a good four hours working my way through darning and knitting. I've a huge huge quilt we bought cheaply 27 years ago when we moved back, and I have to say it's the best money spent, got tons of use. I never thought it would last this long. Some of the patches were split so I sewed it all up again.
I'm a quarter of the way through my 100 hat challenge for charity , so I'll get some photos soon.

Okay wearers of all things knit or woven. I just found this gizmo and love it. I don’t think it’s a new invention but it’s a good one. It’s a speedweve. I got the 14 pin. It has made darning/repairing socks so much faster and nicer looking 👀 (I am not a great darner). I’m improving, but learning on my old holey sock then will work on a couple nicer sweaters 😍. Thought I’d share in case anyone is interested.

View attachment 126698
I looked at one of those.
Cool!

It seems that I might have a new collection starting.
I have collected toys for decades.
Just learned to hand knit 2 years ago.
Not very well, I might add, but I keep plugging away at it.
Also I could not tell you if I am knitting or purling.
Have no clue?
I was a challenge for one of the older ladies in the knitting and crochet group.
Everybody knitted but me, I crocheted.
This particular lady when she started to try to teach me to knit was 100 years old.
Last year about 2 months before she passed, it finally clicked what she was trying to teach me.
Before she would have me sit next to her, and I couldn't see what she was doing.
But this particular time I sat across from her and watched her hands.
I got it then. So for Christmas that year I gave her a hand knitted pot holder.
She cried. That's when she found out I was left handed. And she was right handed.
Moral to this story she left me in her will a circular knitting machine, so I can knit with the girls.
I now have one flat bed Brother KH230 knitting machine, the circular knitting machine that my friend left me,
1 toy Singer flat bed knitting machine that Estelle works with, and one other circular knitting machine.
And I don't know to use any of those machine.
Hence why in my future I will be taking class for machine knitting.

Have no clue?
I was a challenge for one of the older ladies in the knitting and crochet group.
This particular lady when she started to try to teach me to knit was 100 years old.
Last year about 2 months before she passed, it finally clicked what she was trying to teach me.
Before she would have me sit next to her, and I couldn't see what she was doing.
She cried. That's when she found out I was left handed. And she was right handed.
Moral to this story she left me in her will a circular knitting machine, so I can knit with the girls.
I now have one flat bed Brother KH230 knitting machine, the circular knitting machine that my friend left me,
1 toy Singer flat bed knitting machine that Estelle works with, and one other circular knitting machine.
Is the circular knitting machine a sock knitter or larger like for hats? One item on my dream list is:
1710777490477.png

Have no clue?
I always check out Craftsy.com when I’m learning something new.

Is the circular knitting machine a sock knitter or larger like for hats? One item on my dream list is:
View attachment 126710
I don't even know what that is . Sorry. My circular machines are Sentro and the other is Hobby Lobby.
Now I have several manual looms that you supposely can make socks, hats on, but haven't tried those either.
They were gifted to me.

I always check out Craftsy.com when I’m learning something new.
Thank you for the information.
I have a membership there already so I will.
I would like a loom that makes table linens, napkins, place mats,table runners etc.
That's on my bucket wish list.
The one I looked at is table top model and the price was something like $1800 used.
It has harness,warp,
The floor model is something $5000.00-$25000.00. German made, I can't think of the name right now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information.
I have a membership there already so I will.
I would like a loom that makes table linens, napkins, place mats,table runners etc.
That's on my bucket wish list.
The one I looked at is table top model and the price was something like $1800 used.
It has harness,warp,
The floor model is something $5000.00-$25000.00. German made, I can't think of the name right now.
Beware the weaving rabbit hole! There's danger ahead!!!!!

My trip down there started with a patient at the pharmacy gifting me a 25" rigid heddle loom. Then I needed a floor loom (got a LeClerc Compact 8 shaft) 24", then came the 15" Schact Cricket rigid heddle. I wanted to weave rugs and wider yardage, so Bjorn joined the flock. He's a 40" Glimakra Ideal 4 harness. Wanted to make hanging loops for the towels I weave, so an inkle loom got adopted. Finally decided I needed one up at the cabin so I got an 18" Schact Wolf Pup. I think I might need professional help.

All that said, it's a wonderful hobby and outlet for creation. Weaving is not difficult but there are a lot of steps to it before you even throw the first shuttle.

I think I sold my 4’ floor loom and two table looms and whatever else for about $125-150. Can’t remember. We were moving and I couldn’t find anyone to teach me how to use them 😕
There are several fiber guilds and yarn stores around us where the gals help each other with fiber projects. My wife has helped several ladies learn to weave on smallish floor looms. Maybe you could search for a fiber guild in your area?
1710855162059.png

1710855195736.png

1710855213696.png

I priced a floor loom at my local homespun knit shop in the next big town over.
Bridgette (the owner)suggested I get a toy loom before I invested into a floor loom.
I just need help finding on in my budget and space.
She also told me ex military have a hard time sometimes with the concept of weaving.
And I guess she would know that she a Marine .
Her friend is going to teach me how to use my gifted to me Brother KH230 9mm bulky machine.
Her shop is the Knit EWE in Excelsior Springs, Mo.
Thank you all for the information.

Have no clue?
I forgot to add I have a set of round looms for hats etc in various sizes.
Also have long narrow rectangle looms.
Of course Estelle and I share the potholder loom.
My knitting machine class while be arriving next week from Craftsy.
Yesterday while waiting on the water bath canner to finish I got out one of the round looms orange I believe.
Used the same concept as the potholder loom on it made two hats.
Are they very good, probably not, but I feel it's a step in the right direction.
I am trying to knit hats, scarfs and glove sets for Christmas this year for the grandchildren.
First hat was basic hat two tone.
Second hat was different something called Twisty Messy Bun hat.
That hat is definately twisty.
Now trying a third hat probably along the lines of the first one.
Someone told me you can make socks with either of the round looms(manual), and the circular machines, not there yet.

I am working with the manual looms in the round.
I have learned how to change looms after several rows to increase the size.
Today, I accomplished 3 loom increases with 1 more to go.
It looks pretty good,
Like the crown of this one mush better than any of the others.
Course this crown is crocheted.
But it's finished from the start.
Sipping coffee and looming.

Knitting washcloths a bit bigger than needed.
Cause they will shrink when washed in hot water, dried in hot dryer etc.
Using Joann's Peaches and Cream 100% cotton Rose pastel(soft pink).
Also using Big Twist Multi Rainbow, Orange Ombre, Grey Ombre,Mint.
Using dibs and dabs smallish skeins.
Some of these will be banded together with ribbon(4 to pack) to be given as gifts.
Pastel colors are normally banded together and put into baby gifts baskets.

https://afibercollective.com/blogs/knitting-projects-patterns/trellis-leaf-cowl

Adapted this to make a cowl for myself and some more charity hats - all this from one ball for $4
View attachment 127326
Those are beautiful. I knit and crochet. I can crochet better than I can knit and I struggle reading knitting patterns but I like the way knit stitches look better than I like crochet stitches look. Right now I’m crocheting my grown son a couple of Sesame Street yip yips. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1458.png
    IMG_1458.png
    938.9 KB · Views: 0
Making Swifter floor covers for my Swifter.
Working on Christmas 2024 gifts.
Swifter duster covers, floor dusters covers, dish scrubbers.
I think of you when I change the swifter cloth. I’m sure you are flattered by that 😂. Bet the washables are handy, but I’m not there yet 😊

Latest posts

Back