Kombucha

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By definition it is fermented yes/no?

Ben
Found the book.

20240108_211104.jpg

20240108_211057.jpg

Ben

A number of years ago I took a class, got a scoby and made a few batches of kombucha. Then as is common in my life, I got side-tracked, and the kombucha batch sat for way too long and was mostly a scoby. I had collected bottles to bottle it up. I gave them to a friend. I would have liked to have a regular stock of it.

I can tell you one flavor not to make, or to make if you are a glutton for punishment: rhubarb. It was the worst. I had made other flavors such as strawberry and they were great. The rhubarb was gross.

Hmmm. I had an assistant when we had our private school. She'd bring in kombucha she made. I swear, sometimes it was fermented a bit.
It is fermented and I am greatly bothered by fermented stuff, but kombucha doesn't bother me. I think that once all of the sugar is used up and you refrigerate it, the fermenting shouldn't bother you. But I could be wrong.

That woman could have also used kombucha for a cover for actually drinking. People who want to drink will find a way.

Yes it is fermented
But getting rid of the yeast poop in the bottom of the bottle is a simple process
Step one
Stop the ferment with refrigeration
24/36 hours
Remove and put on level surface
Let it sit, the floating stuff will settle to the bottom
Syphon the liquid off and leave the junk on the bottom
Take that bottle and let it settle out
Syphon again

That is the poor boy method
They make super fine filter cloth you can use . I dislike the stuff because it is so fine it constantly plugs up and has to be constantly tended to

Syphon it

Yes it is fermented
But getting rid of the yeast poop in the bottom of the bottle is a simple process
Step one
Stop the ferment with refrigeration
24/36 hours
Remove and put on level surface
Let it sit, the floating stuff will settle to the bottom
Syphon the liquid off and leave the junk on the bottom
Take that bottle and let it settle out
Syphon again

That is the poor boy method
They make super fine filter cloth you can use . I dislike the stuff because it is so fine it constantly plugs up and has to be constantly tended to

Syphon it
It has been a few years since I made it, but once it was bottled, it had to be refrigerated. I remember there being a two cycle process. First the days of fermentation, then with the fruit. I think the fruit was done in the refrigerator.

Hmmm. I had an assistant when we had our private school. She'd bring in kombucha she made. I swear, sometimes it was fermented a bit.

She seemed a little shnockered sometimes
Kombucha is fermented but I’ve never experienced it to be fermented enough to get drunk on.
It has been a few years since I made it, but once it was bottled, it had to be refrigerated. I remember there being a two cycle process. First the days of fermentation, then with the fruit. I think the fruit was done in the refrigerator.
I have been making kombucha for years. I make organic hibiscus kombucha. If left too long, it turns to vinegar which is also very usable. If it turns to vinegar, just start a new batch and it will be kombucha again before it turns to vinegar. I have a huge SCOBY and several small ones. If anyone wants one, I’m very willing to share.

A second fermentation with fruit isn’t necessary. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back