Large amount of "BROWN SUGAR", How to merge consumption into short rations..??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Found many #10 cans of brown sugar. How should a prepper start merging that after shifting to "short rations"..??

I only have a one burner camp stove, no oven. I am open to any ideas of avoiding death from starvation, while inventorying large amount of brown sugar. like add one cup to moose stew, or coyote stew. The goal is to not end up with nothing but tree bark, dirt and 24 #10 cans of brown sugar.

Maybe start drinking it in cup of hot water & tequila..?? Five years & seven months post SHTF (with 87% of population dead, and you have eleven months of normal food remaining, plus this mountain of brown sugar, how can you start extending the eleven months of food to fourteen, by merging in brown sugar consumption..??

Do you mean, what can you make with brown sugar?
Coffee cake, topping for oatmeal, baked apple, peanut butter cookies....

A few thoughts in different aspects of your brown sugar and what you have said so far.

Relative to your one burner camp stove, you can get a camp oven that you set on top of the burner and use it for baking. Amazon just told me I bought mine 10 years ago. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...d=1685644510&sprefix=camp+oven,aps,150&sr=8-5

You can make a simple syrup with brown sugar, one cup sugar and one cup water, bring to a boil and add maple flavoring. Great over pancakes, waffles, French toast. Maybe you are well stocked on real maple syrup.

Have you opened one of those cans and inspected the sugar? Brown sugar tends to dry out and get hard as a rock. If that is your case, a sugar bear to restore the humidity and remove the hardness will certainly help. I learned this from Amish Heart. https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sugar-...1685644747&sprefix=brown+sugar,aps,144&sr=8-5

If you collect any greens that are similar to Cress you can add a couple spoons to the cress after it has cooked down (sauteed) and a splash of vinegar, cook for 30 more seconds and enjoy some great tasting greens. This isn't adding it to your other rations like you are asking but would require a bit of foraging for greens. Can also add it to fried pine inner bark (or other edible trees) to give it a bit of flavor if you can't find anything else due to snow.

My goal is to extend life by adding the brown sugar to existing inventory so as to up daily calory intake and extend existing inventory.

Last edited:
I only have a one burner camp stove, no oven. I am open to any ideas of avoiding death from starvation, while inventorying large amount of brown sugar. like add one cup to moose stew, or coyote stew. The goal is to not end up with nothing but tree bark, dirt and 24 #10 cans of brown sugar.

Maybe start drinking it in cup of hot water & tequila..?? Five years & seven months post SHTF (with 87% of population dead, and you have eleven months of normal food remaining, plus this mountain of brown sugar, how can you start extending the eleven months of food to fourteen, by merging in brown sugar consumption..??
First sugar (regardless of color) doesn't spoil so it will last forever. It is for the most part "empty" calories but like you've said - it's calories if/when you need them. Even if it solidifies, it can be grated into most sauces (bbq, stews, gravy, spaghetti). It can also be sprinkled over squash with cinnamon and makes a nice "desert." Sounds like storing it might be a thing, but aside from that, it could be a very valuable trading commodity. Most folks are addicted to sugar in some form. Post SHTF, the cravings will get real.
Oh, one other thought if you are simply needing calories, teas from all sorts of plants could be sweetened by such a treat.

If you had 70+ years of being trained for prepping/survival, then in 1962 start eight years of Indepth research on best location for survival, and 54 years ago moved to Alaska, to spend the next five decades working building what would be needed, would you foolishly list everything on an open forum......??????????

If you had 70+ years of being trained for prepping/survival, then in 1962 start eight years of Indepth research on best location for survival, and 54 years ago moved to Alaska, to spend the next five decades working building what would be needed, would you foolishly list everything on an open forum......??????????
No. But if you want us to be accurate in answering your question we can only guess and are just shooting in the dark.

It'd be fine to flavor any meats you cook. I stopped storing brown sugar, and the stuff I do have, I have a sugar bear in. Instead I just store molasses and white sugar. Molasses is not bad for you. Do you have any beans stored that you cook? Brown sugar or the syrup you make with it (like Weedy mentioned) is good on beans. I'd probably use most of it on beans, apples, desserts, or cooked oatmeal. Maybe some on beef. My father in law loved it in his coffee.

Eh, sure why not?
1685670824267.jpeg

😂. You know I am joking right?

My goal is to extend life buy adding the brown sugar to existing inventory so as to up daily calory intake and extend existing inventory.

I should think Brown Sugar warm-water 'melted' and added to a dijon-style mustard (which is 'DIY-able') would make a fine 'glaze' over the top of some of that canned Red Salmon I know ya stacked back deep.. 🤔😎 Also, I believe there must be a Plethora of 'Meatloaf-type bakes' featuring Brown Sugar (or at least Some used, therein..) Brown sugar added to / Used to Make 'BBQ sauce', as a way to 'liven' canned Meats, etc.. Lots of ideas..

Also a way to (judiciously, of course - as Montana Bill reminded 👍) sweeten up Oatmeal / Malt-O-Meals, Breakfast "cereal" (ie: Popcorn :cool: etc, in Coffee.. Heck, melt it down and make 'syrup' for Dutch-oven / cast-iron pan fry-bread or "pancakes", etc.. Add to 'Rice pudding' (simply boil Rice in Milk vs water - and sure, Almond-milk (from stored / reconn'd powder, etc) will work also, if all the local-Cows are dead ;) ) plus a coupl'a cinnamon-sticks - vs 'white sugar' to Really yum it up, etc..

I only have a one burner camp stove, no oven....
Do you have a 'Cylinder Stove' by Any chance?? ie:
Yukon Stove Package ..or similar?

..Or, really, Any wood stove with a 5"or 6" pipe? If so.. These are Excellent (once 'broken in / tuned'):

Chimney Oven :cool: Just a thought..

jd

Do you have chaga that you can harvest? You could add it to the tea for the calories. With the birch in your area, you may be sitting on a chaga gold mine. Commercially, the stuff is expensive.

You could make butterscotch.

My Granny used to cover the bottom of the baking pan with a generous layer of brown sugar before she put her cinnamon rolls in it. Once they were baked she flipped the whole pan over and let the melted brown sugar drizzle down the sides of the rolls.

And you can substitute brown sugar for white in pretty much any recipe. It will turn out darker and richer than with white sugar.

My goal is to extend life by adding the brown sugar to existing inventory so as to up daily calory intake and extend existing inventory.
mix it with oatmeal...a teaspoon or tablespoon to your taste. add it in with self rising flour or pancake mix and use a non stick pan. you can make a bunch and last for days and use as a trail food as portable. mix in local berries too. mix up some of these and smear peanut butter on them and fold like a tortilla . simple PBJ sandwiches.

i know you have limited electricity but get yaself an electric griddle..why? it does things fast and easy and best thing for your situation currently..easy clean up!!!

if you have tea bags fix a cup of tea and sweeten to taste.

like @SoJer mentioned you can use it in a brine for fish before smoking or cooking and add it to meat cures as well.

Anywhere you use sugar you can replace with borwn sugar. I LOVE a tablespoon of brown sugar sprinkled on top of a sweet potatoe with some butter, salt and pepper. It's also very good glazing certain veggies that my Hunny won't normally eat like Turnips. Once brown sugar is introduced, he pounces on it in a heart beat.

Latest posts

Back