Last nights adventures

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBob

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So, a Baptist church about 15 miles away had a Fur Fin and Feather wild game feed last night. These used to be popular as I was growing up, but they are few and far between now so my wife, son, and I went to it.

It was the largest one they had ever had, and didn't have enough tables and chairs, so we ate in shifts.
Venison stew, venison chili...venison prepared 14 different ways. The best was the venison poppers..1 hot pepper with a slice of venison, wrapped in thick cut wild hog bacon...mmmm, rabbit dumplings, catfish, trout, wild turkey.

Excellent food, great people, many new friends.

Then....we left. 1 mile from the event I hit a deer. Suicidal deer jumped right in front of me. Someone was looking out for us, no damage to the truck, deer had a broken neck. Called AGFC to report it, picked it up and field dressed it. Hung it in the shed and butchered it after church today. Fried up the tenderloins and just had a snack :) Think we'll have the back straps tonight.

This one will be mostly burger (mixed with beef and pork) and jerky.

I think it is legal in a few states. I knew someone who hit a deer in North Dakota a number of years ago and was allowed to take it home after reporting it. It is something of a consolation prize for the damage it has done to many vehicles.

I hit one 2 weeks ago on my way to work. Just heard from the insurance Friday. The car is gonna be totaled. and to beat it all I didn't have time to get the deer. roadkill is legal in Tennessee to.
A vehicle can total over simple body damage these days due to the high cost of parts, labor and paint. If you think it is something that you can fix yourself the insurance company may let you buy the wreck for pennies on the dollar. Make sure though that if they issue a salvage title what you have to do in your state to legalize it again for the road. Some states it is easy some make you jump throug all kinds of inspections hoops that drag out forever.

Sometimes you can ask the insurance company to sell it to you and not stamp the title "salvage" That is the best case scenario. Then you simply change out the dented parts and register it again.

I can see the deer that have been hit around here, and usually about 1/2 the time I see the back cut open, and the back straps removed.
I hit one 2 weeks ago on my way to work. Just heard from the insurance Friday. The car is gonna be totaled. and to beat it all I didn't have time to get the deer. roadkill is legal in Tennessee to.
That sucks

In Arizona only the person that actually hit the deer/elk/antelope can have the meat and that only after an officer gives you a slip for the meat.

The damage is more than 25% of what the car's value is. fender, door, hood, bumper are all toast. Headlight assembly is gone. all the supports for the lights, washer tank, and radiator overflow is all trashed. some damage to the suspention as well. It's not worth fixing. Quite a shame too. It's an 05 camry we bought new. Only has 149,000 on it and no problems otherwise.

I was driving around 75 to 80 MPH in a mercury mistake (mystique) on I-20. Middle lane. I watched a doe jump the guardrail on the right as I began to correct to the right to miss her. I said DEER! My gal was bent over in the front seat getting something out of her purse on the floorboard when I saw the second one come over the guardrail behind the first one. ( No where to go at that point) "WHERE" my gal said as she began to sit up as I missed the first one. The second one saw us coming luckily and began to try to jump over the hood. It hit the roof with it's knees just above the windshield. BAM! "RIGHT THERE" I said! I watched it flip in the air in my rear view mirror and fly across to the median and get up and run on across the freeway on the other side and into the woods. I pulled over. Checked my pants for a load, got out and looked the car over. Slight dent in the windshield trim with hair stuck in it and a missing radio antennae on the trunk. We were very lucky that day.

S-10 took out two deer. 180,000 miles when the timing chain went. S-10 was replaced with a used Colorado.

Dark and a block from work. Some nut is squatting beside my lane, looking across the road with his hands outstretched. I wonder what he is motioning to...DOG! BANG! Plastic dam under the front bumper, fog light assembly and bent the bumper a little. I watched the dog as the owner went to get his truck to take the dog to the vet.

A month later on the way to work (I've decide the problem is that I shouldn't be going to work!) A deer...I almost got to a stop before bouncing the deer off my front bumper. Deer got up and ran into the field. Front bumper now has another twist in it.

A year latter I got T-boned at a major intersection. I had the green light (and three witnesses) and she had the red light. She didn't have insurance or a Driver's license and appeared not to understand English.

My 15 year old truck's front driver's side wheel took most of the impact from her minivan. Hood, fender, driver's door were crumbled, plastic grill in pieces, the rim was bent and the suspension questionable. I figured totaled and was looking at what was available to buy.

Insurance Company asked if it was repairable, where would I like to have it fixed? "At the truck's manufacturer Dealership." I told my Insurance company that the front bumper, plastic dam and fog light had be damaged before the accident and should NOT be included in the estimate. Their Adjuster looked over the truck (watched him on my trail cam) and .......Insurance Company decided to have my truck fixed!

Body shop's work was excellent, I couldn't tell the truck was in an accident. Body Shop said they found a few other things damaged that wasn't included, they will deal direct with my Insurance company. The dog and deer damage they had quoted me separately and I went ahead and had that damaged fixed too.

Two years after the accident and the truck has any problems resulting from the accident.

Last edited:
Maybe a heavy grill guard would be a good investment?
Maybe a lift kit to make sure anything shorter than a giraffe would go harmlessly under the vehicle.

Back