Laundry.......do you sort? Favorite detergent? Fighting stains, what's your secret?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what is the best prescribed detergent? Serious question.
I don't think anyone answered this. When I purchased supermarket detergent, I used Cheer - free (no scents).
I make my own now for really dirty things & for normal washing I just use soap nuts and Mg. pellets. I will show links. I haven't purchased laundry products in ages. I really like being able to get many loads from these things and not having to continue to purchase them. I also use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. There is no residual smell. When our drier dies which I am not wishing for in any way, I will probably not replace it as I usually hang our clothes.

Soap Nuts:
https://www.amazon.com/Soap-Nuts-Be...UCwTuumFAryCMfuEj71cIFrm61ZZpiohoC-L4QAvD_BwE

Mg Pellets:
https://www.amazon.com/200-300-natu...agnesium+laundry+pouch,hpc,164&sr=1-1-catcorr

Always having done my own laundry, even when married, I don't own any clothes that can't go in the washer as ...everybody in the pool... Sheets, shorts, T shirts, jeans you name it.. I never had anything like ..new jeans.. that had to be broken in to launder with everything else.. But then I also don't get upset if ..for instance.. T shirts aren't the whitest..

I've always used regular Tide detergent.. Regardless of the local water where ever I lived and gotten by well.. I always buy the big family size bottle of Tide liquid on sale..

I'm sure most ..laundry snobs... would consider me a heathen or slob...

The Tide has never bothered you with smell, skin irritations, etc?
I don't what it is but I find Tide poisonous. Like I can't even hug someone who washed their clothes with Tide without getting very ill. And if I happen to walk into a laundry room where it's been used I have breathing issues that get scary.
It is so dangerous to me it makes me wonder how anyone can use it.

The Tide has never bothered you with smell, skin irritations, etc?
I don't what it is but I find Tide poisonous. Like I can't even hug someone who washed their clothes with Tide without getting very ill. And if I happen to walk into a laundry room where it's been used I have breathing issues that get scary.
It is so dangerous to me it makes me wonder how anyone can use it.
We used to use it when showing sheep 🐑 if they laid in poop. It was the best for getting that out of wool. It is some of the harshest chemicals. The other one that gets me is the fabric softener scents. Most people are nose blind 😏

I used Amway for many years. I knew people who were distributers.

Now I am using ECOS that I get from Costco. Daughter prefers the TIDE smell, except recently decided to use ECOS. There are 225 loads in one jug. That lasts me about a year.

I like having the dispensers in my current washer. I couldn't quite figure out how to use fabric softener without it. I didn't have a dispenser for it previously.

Vinegar actually is supposed to remove odors. I like to use it in combination with baking soda. Together they really do remove odors.

I buy the cheap, generic supermarket brand for $5. I'm the one stuck with buying toilet paper, paper towels, dw detergent, laundry powder and the electricity bill. Now, the oven thermostat crapped out so the plumber has to get the part and replace it....and the 5 day Oyster holiday starts tomorrow. But...yeah...the cheap stuff works just fine.

since I posted the original post, we have upgraded! Got a new very expensive washing machine ( expensive because it does not have a lock and minimal electronics) and husband put in a new line from the kitchen to make a faucet outside that has enough pressure to hook a hose to run the washing machine. It's still work, we have to set it up and put the faucet and hose under the house in winter so it doesn't freeze. I still use the old washing machine to wash the barn clothes the way I did before ( filling it with a hose and forwarding through the rinse cycle)

Since I dont wear fancy clothes ...everything goes in wash machine
*Old Dutch laundry detergent* morning breeze / Javex bleach cold water only

Btw I have no white clothes :)

I do socks all together
Jeans all together
T shirts all together

Bra = hand wash let dry in bathroom

My cats blankets and pillow cases *separated*
Cold water - Javex bleach - laundry detergent Old Dutch

When its breezy I like my clothesline otherwise its my dryer

We have an O3 unit hooked to our cold water line for the laundry. We have had that a couple of years and it really helped with odors and using less bleach in general. Also it works best on cold so we aren’t using as much hot water either. I have had a hate hate hate relationship with most laundry detergents over the years due to sensitive skin. I started using Hey Sunday laundry strips a year ago. One piece for my clothes, two for regular menfolk clothes and towels or other bulky things. If there’s a particularly gross operation happening, 3 strips. We use a lot less soap now and it’s a subscription thing so I don’t have to worry about running out when no one tells me. I don’t break out, the clothes are clean, and they smell really nice. I think they work as well as any liquid or powder detergent I’ve ever used. Just make sure they go in the bottom of the wash bin first and you don’t even have any residual soap scum or sticky pod things. No plastic being wasted is a bonus if you’re into that. Also, I learned long ago that if I refuse to buy bright white clothes, I have a lot less chance of an outbreak of OCD. Also, two months supply is literally an envelope on the shelf instead of a whole giant bucket. Means more room for canned goods!

Last edited:
Yep, peroxide takes blood right out, better than bleach. Bleach still tends to leave a dark spot and it smells. But I use bleach on other stains.
Bleach and soap is good for my dog and cats blankets and sheets

But indeed peroxide take blood away ...
or you just can burn clothes with blood 🤣

Latest posts

Back