LDS Home Storage Centers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in college and lived in a house with 5 others, we bought wheat in 50 pound bags, ground it and made all of our own bread. We kept the bag on the floor in the back porch and never did anything else with it, except to use it. The bag was opened and left there. No bucket, no other containers. I have no memory of how long a bag lasted us, but I don't remember any problems with it.

I agree. Not LDS, but they do have a few things that I like. I do not have their beliefs, never will.
Same. I love how family and community are supported. But, a fundamental, core belief says no, I can’t join you on faith. Several friends from LDS have taken part in programs in our Baptist church, and I love to hear of the good things their church does. Faith in action, again and again, but not the heavy judgement or push to convert that I’ve seen in so many Christian churches. Lots of core values to share, but not all.

This is a snip of an order form that shows the price per can or pouch.
View attachment 83159

I visited the center yesterday. They told me that the prices of a few things, but not all things are down. I can only see the form in a really small font, but Great Northern beans, carrots, sugar and pancake mix have lower prices now.

I asked if the updated order form is online and they told me it is not and that it will take about a month for it to be online.

The form they had there yesterday shows the new prices.

I visited the center yesterday. They told me that the prices of a few things, but not all things are down. I can only see the form in a really small font, but Great Northern beans, carrots, sugar and pancake mix have lower prices now.

I asked if the updated order form is online and they told me it is not and that it will take about a month for it to be online.

The form they had there yesterday shows the new prices.
Down from when Weedy? (I can't see a date on the first one) unless it was when you posted Mar '22 which was about the high. Prices coming down indicates either folks are really well stocked or folks can't afford the larger sums required to purchase bulk. My guess is a combination of both.

How long do wheat berries last if kept at 60° or below in a sealed container but no oxygen removers or desiccants added? If you know?
Wheat from the pyramids was successfully sprouted. Not near 100% but still there was viable wheat. Kept cool and dry you will expire before the wheat. Good honey was found in the pyramids also.

Down from when Weedy? (I can't see a date on the first one) unless it was when you posted Mar '22 which was about the high. Prices coming down indicates either folks are really well stocked or folks can't afford the larger sums required to purchase bulk. My guess is a combination of both.
Down from a year ago. I forgot to add that some things are up a little bit as well.

Years ago the local LDS organization had a program where you signed up, provided labor, ingredients, and other support to do a group ...canning... event. They had equipment to do steel can canning as I recall.. I always wanted to participate in that, but never got around to going to it before they ended that program.. The local LDS ...store... is over 40 miles from me and ...call for open hours... I would like to get there, but not until better weather..

Years ago the local LDS organization had a program where you signed up, provided labor, ingredients, and other support to do a group ...canning... event. They had equipment to do steel can canning as I recall.. I always wanted to participate in that, but never got around to going to it before they ended that program.. The local LDS ...store... is over 40 miles from me and ...call for open hours... I would like to get there, but not until better weather..
I don’t think there’s one anywhere around here. But I do use Azure (bulk also).

They had this as well at the center in Aurora, Colorado. I tried a few times to sign up to do this, but it was always filled up.

They also had a set up to dry can the ingredients that are now on the list. I did that a number of times.

They also had dry can canners that you could check out and take home. Aurora had 3 to check out. I did that as well. I dry canned foods that I found at another warehouse that aren't and weren't available at the home storage center. I canned things like garbanzo beans, lentils, corn. The storage center had the cans, lids, plastic lids, and boxes to hold 6 cans.

All of that changed and all the equipment for both wet and dry canning has been moved to a central location in Utah.

They would also get things like canned soup, jellies, wet canned peaches and pears. These would just be random items that would get shipped there hit and miss, and when you went to dry can or to check what had already been dry canned, they would tell about the items they had in another room. If these kinds of things were available regularly, I'd be shopping there for them.

I’m not certain the church still allows groups to come in and can food products. The one near me stopped. Hours are very limited at some locations. If you’re in other states you still might have other options at those facilities. What I’m seeing available for purchase online through the church is about 17 basic items, including the foil storage bags.

I’m not certain the church still allows groups to come in and can food products. The one near me stopped. Hours are very limited at some locations. If you’re in other states you still might have other options at those facilities. What I’m seeing available for purchase online through the church is about 17 basic items, including the foil storage bags.
barry came down on the LDS canneries using federal agencies to force them into shutting down all but a few. The cost of leaving the others open was prohibitive.

@Caribou I forget stuff. Amazing set-ups in the "DC" cannery, wasn't really IN Washington DC, and the one in the so-called "Dallas" cannery was also set up well. Yes, like @Tim Horton mentioned, usually members (and friends and neighbors) would go in and help facilitate the canning of soups, meats, vegetables, and fruits that were grown by the church's agricultural unit. The church still provides food for those in need, near and far.
In my one ward someone borrowed something from the DC cannery and that made it so we could dry pack grains in #10 cans. It worked great.
I hesitate to post a link. You'll find it if you look hard enough and like @LadyLocust said, the Azure group is a good group to order through as well.

Latest posts

Back