Leather report

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yep Leather.... In the past few weeks besides being sick I have scouted out at the local level the conditions of the leather crafters and their representation at the local craft fairs or weekend farmers/ craft markets.
Yesterday's venture into the crowds at the apple fest up here in Elijah was informative.
There were only two leather "craft" booths out of approximately 120 attendees.
One actuality had hand sewn( which translates into hand sewn on a machine) leather wallets and minimalist card holders plus some catchy, to some , liquor tumbler leather wrap around college team bedazzled leather coozie.
$ 30.00$ for the coozie, $50.00 for the card holder $60.00 for a full size bifold wallet.
This vendor had good product quality but all their products had no dressing or smoothing on the flesh side and minimal edge burnishing.
Not bad considering the quality of the leather used and time involved.
The other "crafter" was selling a lot of close to the same inventory plus belts custom fitted on site at half the price of the other booth ...... But this inventory was over 90% Chinese machine sewn ( not hand sewn) .
The belts were probably 7 or 8oz single thickness units for $40.00 each.
To make the short story longer I would not buy one. As one would say
" looks neat ,works fine, last half time."
Wallets and card holders $30.00 each with advertised RFID protection added but the RFID mesh was just stuck to the inside on the leather where it will be easily knocked loose.
This is just a short recon report on what is available in our area concerning our craft of interest.

I missed this first go round.
Not sure how many leather workers we have on here besides @Frodo but I just found this video and this fella shows and explains things that make it look easy. Thought others might enjoy it also.
(give me a minute- saying vid unavailable 😠)

I missed this first go round.
Not sure how many leather workers we have on here besides @Frodo but I just found this video and this fella shows and explains things that make it look easy. Thought others might enjoy it also.
(give me a minute- saying vid unavailable 😠)
Here is what to copy and paste into YT

The Fanciest Leather Seam of All?! (FRENCH SEAM TUTORIAL)​

By Corter Leather

Last edited:
French seam ? Is that what it is called?

I had no idea, I use it on my vests

IMG_0960.jpeg

I feel fancy as hell
Guess I will drink a cup of tea and hold my pinky up

Sounds like a good place to hang an extra glazed dough nuf

Last edited:
French seam ? Is that what it is called?

I had no idea, I use it on my vests

View attachment 122035
I feel fancy as hell
Guess I will drink a cup of tea and hold my pinky up

Sounds like a good place to hang an extra glazed dough nuf
I’ve done French seams with sewing and have seen them with leather but had no idea how to make them flat. I’m learning- very slowly - it’s like water on a rock, but eventually 😂

I’ve done French seams with sewing and have seen them with leather but had no idea how to make them flat. I’m learning- very slowly - it’s like water on a rock, but eventually 😂
I use contact cement and a hammer
Then a stitch line

Seeing it done is helpful (ti me anyhoo).
First make a mark for your stitch line
Make another line 1” parallel. This is your cut line

Lay the pieces together. Face first towards each other

View attachment 122040
IMG_0961.jpeg

Open up as shown, contact cement both surfaces

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

Back when I was horse logging in the northern part of the state, I had a custom harness made for my team. It was pretty fancy, for a logging harness, with brass spots all over. The harness maker sandwiched some seat belt material between two heavy leather straps for the tugs to add extra strength. Every year I'd take my harnesses over to his shop and he'd take everything apart and soak it all in a big vat of hot neatsfoot oil. I used to enjoy hanging out in his shop and watching him make stuff. I want to pick up some basic leather working tools.

If you have imagination you do not need to buy a whole lot to start out
These 2 tools are hand made and I use them constantly
Elk time
And a surgical grade stainless steel forceps turned into an awl
The awl will be your most important tool
It has to be scary sharp. And a leather strop is used to keep it that way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back when I was horse logging in the northern part of the state, I had a custom harness made for my team. It was pretty fancy, for a logging harness, with brass spots all over. The harness maker sandwiched some seat belt material between two heavy leather straps for the tugs to add extra strength. Every year I'd take my harnesses over to his shop and he'd take everything apart and soak it all in a big vat of hot neatsfoot oil. I used to enjoy hanging out in his shop and watching him make stuff. I want to pick up some basic leather working tools.
If you want to, go check out
DieselPunkro
On Etsy. Take a look at his patterns
What is cool about his patterns is each pattern has a video that comes with it where tony will walk you through the process
Also check out Chuck Dorset at weaver leather supply for YouTube tutorial videos

S

Saw something interesting on my web walk

If you knit or crochet this might interest you

t…..I do not “DO”. Purple
Could be loosing female audience.

Years ago I developed for a largely female audience. They spent money to research the most appealing color for the nurses that would use the system (blood and tissue storage monitoring.) They came up with a shade of purple.

wp35ae98fc_06.png

I threatened to charge them for hazardous duty pay due to that color burning my eyes from looking at so long. ;)

Lexie hearing aides target women in their adds. Take a look at how much purple they use on their website.

https://lexiehearing.com/us/best-online-hearing-test
So think about making exceptions for fairer sex.

Ben

Latest posts

Back