Let’s make a rue

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
A friend asked me how to make a rue and I was surprised that people fo not know this simple but tasty starter for soup, stew, gumbo
Or you can put it on toast

Let’s do this
Onion rue
Ingredients
2- onion chopped fine
1/2 cup flour
2- sticks butter. Butter not margerine
Or better yet use bacon grease
2-tablespoon crab boil
1- can cream of mushroom
2- cans of milk using the cream of mushroom can

Large skillet
I melt my butter in the microwave then pour into a hot skillet
Get the butter hot and add the flour little at a time while your stir, add onion and constant stir, stir stir stir. Cook for 5 minutes and constantly stir
Do not burn your flour stir stir
Add your milk and soup and crab boil
Turn heat down to a simmer and stir as needed
At this time you need to know if you want a thick or thin rue.
If thick. Let it simmer and thicken up
If thin, add a little water or milk as it thickens to thin it
Pour this into your Dutch oven the make your stew. Or what ever you are making

Variations
celery, bell pepper , peppers cook these till tender then add when you add the onion

A friend asked me how to make a rue and I was surprised that people fo not know this simple but tasty starter for soup, stew, gumbo

Let’s do this
Onion rue
Ingredients
2- onion chopped fine
1/2 cup flour
2-tablespoon crab boil
1- can cream of mushroom

Large skillet
Get the butter hot and add the flour little at a time while your stir, add onion and constant stir, stir stir stir. Cook for 5 minutes and constantly stir

Variations
celery, bell pepper , peppers cook these till tender then add when you add the onion
Almost every Cajun recipe begins with: "...start with a rue" because everybody down here knows how to make a rue. :thumbs:

Last edited:
The simple one:
https://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/roux/amp/
They use the correct spelling (roux, which only hardcore cajuns use).
Many Cajun recipes start with “First You Make A Roux” and Most Cajun dishes start with a good roux.

Ingredients​

• 3/4 cup oil (Canola or Vegetable)
  • 1 cup all purpose white flour

Directions​

Step 1​

Heat a heavy skillet or cast iron pot and add oil. Once oil is heated, slowly add the flour, stirring constantly until all is blended. Continue to cook over medium to low heat, stirring constantly until flour and oil blend to form a brown roux the color of a dark copper penny.
The longer you cook it, the darker the roux will become. Remember don't rush the cooking of the roux; allow the mixture to develop at its own pace.
The mixture will make enough roux for 5 quarts of gumbo or one large fricassee dish. Many cooks add onion, bell pepper, and celery mixture right at the end of the cooking process.

I thought it was spelled roux. Rue means to

Attachments

• IMG_9774.png
    IMG_9774.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 0
Cream gravy roux....butter and flour to start.
Yes!
Roux is made with equal amounts of grease/oil/butter and flour.
If you fry some meat and have grease in the pan, you can add about the same amount of flour, scrape the fond off the bottom of the pan and then add seasonings and liquid--water, broth, milk and stir until it thickens.

I make my roux with flour and any fat, butter, drippings from beef, turkey, chicken, bacon, etc.

I'm not a cajun, hardcore or any other kind. How should I spell roux?
How should you spell roux? Like you spelled it.

https://www.thekitchn.com/roux-recipe-23003997This link has a video that shows how to make roux.

"What Is a Roux?
A roux is a sauce built on a simple ratio of 1 part butter to 1 part flour."

It doesn't have to be butter, as some of you have already said. Ever meet someone who is in awe of you being able to make gravy? Gravy usually starts with a roux, if you have oil or grease from meat. It is especially good if there is good meat flavoring in it. If you have pan juices that are not necessarily greasy, you can make a mixture of water or broth and cornstarch and add it to the juices.

Sorry, off the topic about roux!

There is another way to make a roux that I often use who making gravy. I take the drippings from a turkey, roast, etc., add some water to bring up to the desired volume, and then bring to a simmer. I mix flour with cold water. If you use hot water the flour will turn into paste. Pour your flour mixture through a sieve while stirring with a whisk. It will cool the liquid, stop adding the flour mix and stir till it comes back to a simmer. After a couple minutes add more flour mix through the sieve. Continue till you have the desired consistency. Add seasonings. I never add salt to any soup, stew, or gravy I add bouillon. Not gold or silver bouillon (that would make it too rich) but beef or chicken bouillon. That gives you salt an flavour.

There is another way to make a roux that I often use who making gravy. I take the drippings from a turkey, roast, etc., add some water to bring up to the desired volume, and then bring to a simmer. I mix flour with cold water. If you use hot water the flour will turn into paste. Pour your flour mixture through a sieve while stirring with a whisk. It will cool the liquid, stop adding the flour mix and stir till it comes back to a simmer. After a couple minutes add more flour mix through the sieve. Continue till you have the desired consistency. Add seasonings. I never add salt to any soup, stew, or gravy I add bouillon. Not gold or silver bouillon (that would make it too rich) but beef or chicken bouillon. That gives you salt an flavour.
Now this is the Rue I remember! Mom used to make some with steaks.

Its the base of any good sauce- I have never used oil- it's usually butter here. Unless its say chicken gravy, then I use the drippings
I use it to make a white sauce using milk, which can be adapted for a whole lot of things vol au vent sauce (add chicken, mushrooms, herbs etc)
Cheese sauce (Mac & cheese)
Pasta sauce ( grated parmesan, garlic, chicken or not, peas, chopped peppers and lots of garlic) and
gravies using stock. Like caribou, I don't use salt.

I wonder if my dip sauce is considered rue? it's onions and mushrooms sauteed in meat juices, butter, Worcester sauce, and beer/water.

Let’s do this
Onion rue
Ingredients
2- onion chopped fine
1/2 cup flour
2-tablespoon crab boil
1- can cream of mushroom

Large skillet

Variations
You must mean "roux". Although I have let it burn and would call that "rue". Justin Wilson is spinning in his grave.

Latest posts

Back