Life Everlasting Flower/Bush

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Spent a few days touring SC. Went to the Boone Plantation. The “gulla” giving one of the talks went onto herbal remedies and such. She said she had covid a few weeks ago. Immediately started to drink sassafras tea, which helps thin the blood and also to start drinking life everlasting tea. When I look this bush/flower up I get different plants for the same name. Anyone know anything abut this?

Pretty sure this is the plant she was talking about... *note*. It's the only plant with that name that makes sense being used for covid in this context.

Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium aka Gnaphalium obtusifolium and Pseudognaphalium saxicola, is a member of the family Asteraceae.

In herbal medicine it's most commonly called Rabbit Tobacco, life everlasting and sweet everlasting though the last two names come from native americans.

It's very good cough and cold medicine, great for asthma too.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/rabbit-tobacco.6841/
Note... this is why I always use the latin name, to avoid confusion. Especially when talking to a stranger. Use of common names only lead to mis-identification. There is only one latin name for a plant species but dozens of species might share a common name. In this case Gnaphalium obtusifolium and Pseudognaphalium saxicola are old latin names that were changed to Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium. Some older books might have the old latin names.

Gnaphalium b (15).jpg
Rabbit Tobacco a  (5)a.JPG
Rabbit Tobacco a  (9).JPG

Pretty sure this is the plant she was talking about... *note*. It's the only plant with that name that makes sense being used for covid in this context.

Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium aka Gnaphalium obtusifolium and Pseudognaphalium saxicola, is a member of the family Asteraceae.

In herbal medicine it's most commonly called Rabbit Tobacco, life everlasting and sweet everlasting though the last two names come from native americans.

It's very good cough and cold medicine, great for asthma too.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/rabbit-tobacco.6841/
Note... this is why I always use the latin name, to avoid confusion. Especially when talking to a stranger. Use of common names only lead to mis-identification. There is only one latin name for a plant species but dozens of species might share a common name. In this case Gnaphalium obtusifolium and Pseudognaphalium saxicola are old latin names that were changed to Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium. Some older books might have the old latin names.

View attachment 120499View attachment 120500View attachment 120501
I appreciate that you share the Latin names because many of the common names get confused so it’s not even the same plant (imagine someone saying oh I thought this was rabbit tobacco.). Easy mistake and not at all helpful.

I've been to plant classes taught by several different people. In the early days i didn't know to ask the speaker closely about the name of a plant. Like Joel I'd hear a name, get home, run a search, and end with multiple choice!! :facepalm:

I learned the importance of the latin name (however annoying). If the speaker used a common name of a plant i asked about the latin name. Because that's the only way to be sure of the plant in question.

Common names are just that, common. Could be used to describe many plants. Like the name 'rabbit tobacco', locally i know of 6 different species called by that name.

What about sassafras tea? I used to drink a cup at Grandma’s when I was a little kid, once in a while. And now they say it’s dangerous.
What benefits does sassafras provide medicinally? (Your mileage may vary. This is not medical advice. We are not doctors).

What about sassafras tea? I used to drink a cup at Grandma’s when I was a little kid, once in a while. And now they say it’s dangerous.
What benefits does sassafras provide medicinally? (Your mileage may vary. This is not medical advice. We are not doctors).
Well one benefit is it’s fun to say 😁

My father said that you would have to drink gallons of sassafras tea to harm your system.
Father said it was talked down by root beer companies, so they cold use the cheap chemicals to flavor root beer.

@Patchouli Yep, it was all about a root beer bottling war!

It's a very beneficial medicinal tree. But cautions must be observed. It is a very good blood thinner. If your already taking coumadin (warfarin) a big glass of sassafras tea isn't a good idea. In fact i was prescribed warfarin some years ago. Since i was getting daily blood tests I ran an experiment on myself (didn''t make my doc happy). i replaced my warfarin pill with sassafras tea. A quart of tea each day gave me the same blood test results that my warfarin dosage gave. Unfortunately i don't remember the dosage, think it was 5mg.

Sassafras is also the second part of a traditional spring cleansing (poke sallet was the first part). It helps purify the blood. Drink hot tea, cover up with a blanket and you'll sweat big time. Helps flush our lymphatic system also.

Thanks @Peanut for photos and info.
I have a bed made by my great grandfather out of sassafras. It is a 3/4 size, so it is good for more than just tea! It is not in use but I remember the way the wood smelled. Awesome, just like the tea.
And thanks to @lilmissy for posting about her trip.

Sassafras is the file in file gumbo. Traditionally, sassafras leaves are harvested during the full moon of august and dried. Then crushed and added gumbo to flavor and thicken.

Gumo file.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back