Living Alone in the Wild Siberian Forest for 20 years (-71°C, -96°F) Yakutia

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that! I enjoyed watching it.

That video is very close to how I live. Much-Much colder where he is, I get a lot more snow as I am on the ocean coast. But the lifestyle is very similar.

That video is very close to how I live. Much-Much colder where he is, I get a lot more snow as I am on the ocean coast. But the lifestyle is very similar.
i knew it was closest thing video wise coming close you how you live. when i seen it i had to post it !

I'd love to try living like that, for maybe 24 hours.

You might decide that type of life is worth living for more than a day. Just saying! :)

This was a picture I took at the last full moon. The picture makes it look like daytime, but it was in the middle of this night at the time of the year when the sun doesn't rise.

You can see the ice crystals shining like diamonds. It was a cold night and bone dry, but when you wake up on mornings after a night like this you find a 1/8 inch our more of ice crystals on the ground. When its cold and still, you can hear the moose walking miles away in the woods. This particular night we could hear moose in several direction. I do have another human who lives about a mile away, but other than that, there is nobody around anywhere near. Even though I can see for dozens of miles down the valley if I were to look in the other direction, I see no other man made structure in any direct other than what is on my property.

The solitude of winter, to include the harsh environment, is special. And I wish everyone could experience it, yet I am thankful that I have this place to myself, wife and dog!

1674864261851.png

At 6:09

I looked at the items on his shelf - note the military shoulder boards, badge and medal.

He was a (decorated) Junior Lieutenant in the Army of the Russian Federation.

Good work! I did notice that, but I was not smart enough to pinpoint his rank!

There has always been an argument that one person living alone couldn't make it. He would probably disagree.

I lived in the only cabin on an island. It was a similar cabin but not nearly as cold. Not even as cold as Sourdough. I sailed, alone, across the Atlantic. Solitude is preferable to me rather than being around people.

Thanks, I can't imagine, the solitude would be great though.

that would be my ideal, maybe too cold though.
solitude is my natural state, cant abide people .

It's not just the solitude. A way of life for him.
When I can get too our cabin n just hang for a bit For me I enjoy knowing that I can and am just me doing my thing.
I get the opportunity to get out remote and it's one of the best feelings that I could ever have.
Just too bad that more folks with the knowledge that it takes to actually be able to get by don't have better opportunities to share their knowledge n skills.
Much respect for this gentleman

Great update/vide! I‘m happy he got a real window.

@elkhound

They "might" enjoy the video of the U.S. Marine who recently moved to a village in that part of Russia.

@Sourdough i can see you doing what this guy is doing at the end and much more. except i see you making music with a bolt action working and spinning cylinder on hand cannon's and then clicking all the stuff...the dull thud will come from the pee can !!

a little update on the old guy..people all over the world said kind words and sent a few dollars and they bought him a nice gift to aid in his daily life for sure.

5-18-23

Latest posts

Back