Local fundraising event - anyone with experience?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm just tossing an idea out there. There is a lady that works part time in one of our local establishments. I have gotten to know her a bit just through normal business interactions. She's a sweet soul who I would consider a friend, albeit not a really close friend. She's been to my house once for a party. We have similar political and religious beliefs and could probably talk for hours if given the chance. I could easily see our friendship growing over time.

Anyways.....she suffered a serious medical event recently and doctors still haven't been able to determine exactly what caused it. She didn't get the vax, so it wasn't that. The only thing they could come up with was that it was an issue caused by a prescription med that she took. She is still not fully recovered (but at least out of the hospital) and hasn't been cleared to go to work so she's been without income going on a month now. Her insurance isn't going to be enough to do much good with her medical expenses since it didn't kick in until after she had been shuffled to several different hospitals. She's in a tough spot and hasn't asked for help. However, I AM going to help her. I was just going to give her cash but I'm seriously considering doing some sort of event for her. I know that's going to be a LOT more work than just giving her money, but I also know she'd get more money from that.

I was considering doing a fish fry or spaghetti dinner but I have never put on a dinner before and wouldn't have a clue on how much food to get or who to get to help. Then I considered doing a euchre tournament and asking local vendors to contribute so I could put together prize packages and/or use those prizes for bucket raffles. I want to do it at a local hall so that I could shoot for a Saturday afternoon with an open bar and have the school sports boosters come and sell refreshments. I'm thinking the boosters could keep their snack profits and the hall could keep the alcohol profits. Perhaps even the people who run the hall would let us rent the place for free. I will ask.

I think my first step is asking the gal I want to do this for if she is OK with it and if so, what information is OK to share. For example, I wouldn't want to tell vendors she didn't have health insurance if she wasn't allright with people knowing that. Also, I wouldn't want to share anything about her condition that she didn't want out there. If anyone has put on an event similar to this, could you share your experience with it....both good and bad. Thank you!

I've never put an event on like this, but I go to plenty of them. Usually in the activity hall of the mennonite church down the road from us. That hall is rented out to groups pretty cheap, I think $150 or so and it has a full kitchen. It's big. I've rented it for a reunion, and also rented a smaller space behind our "travel agency" with a kitchen for $40. Next Friday is the fundraiser for the Mennonite Manor at the activity hall. Benefits go to residents there that are only on medicaid. It's a fried mush and liverwurst dinner, and it's donation for money. The Friday afterwards is the pulled pork dinner (and fry pies!!!), same place, donation for money, and it goes to Whispering Pines, the amish school. There will also be a lively auction of donated things right after dinner, and that is a hoot to watch. People wanting to donate to the school anyway will just bid some crazy amount for a dozen homemade donuts. Little granddaughter and I will go to both, and if husband feels like it, I'll just bring him in the wheelchair. He went to the Thanksgiving one in it and did fine, and got to see a lot of people who ask about him.

A couple of ideas. Team up with a local fish fry, this is the time of year. Donation jar for "Aunt Bea".

A pot luck dinner for her, find a local spot and advertise on local media, Aunt Bea needs help, potluck dinner and any proceeds go to help her. Bring a dish, meet your neighbors.

I think this is a great idea. Medical expenses can quickly wipe a person out financially. I'm glad that your friend has people around her that care.
A couple years ago the wife and I had some major medical expenses. We sold most or our herd of registered red Angus cattle and quite a bit of gold, and made payments until a week or so ago. We feel fortunate that we had something valuable enough to sell, unfortunately we are no longer getting the income from the cattle. We'll make up for it this year, maybe.

Have you inquired maybe at your church or othe non-profit organizations about fund raisers? They may be able to put you in contact with people who have done it and can help you. Tivia Nights are popular fund raisers in this area. I have attended several, but have no idea what it takes to organize one.

I've done a lot of fundraising over the years. Key is getting a reliable, small group of people around you to help out.
Depending how big/how public you want to go, and how much work you want to take on.
If the lady is well liked, you could start a go fund me page or paypal, put up posters and ask people to donate directly. Less work for you, and a local business might cover the photocopying costs.
You could also put buckets/jars asking for change in local spots.

Quiz nights are great fun- usually 4 to a table, prizes donated.
Discos - themed also are a good excuse to get dressed up

Get your local hunky firemen / women to do a car wash day

If you wanted to have an 'event' one that works here really well on St Patricks Day is a 'Big Breakfast' at the local community centre after mass. It means a lot of volunteers, but basically is a big fry, you pay your money and get handed a plate. It works because parents bring families, and then go on to various parades, Moms don't have to go home and cook. We also have 'tractor' and Scooter runs, where all the local farmers do up their tractors or machinery (or just clean them!) and go out for a spin- they donate €10, and in the town people donate into buckets, and their is tea and cake etc.

Golf ball runs are fun- if you live near a decent hill, or a duck race ( basically people 'buy' a plastic duck or a golf ball, and win a prize) so you sell the ball at 10 each, put the persons name on it and then the prize might be 200 dollars. My son won 500 once! the duck race, if you are buy a river, works the same. It normally is in conjunction with a community event. We've held auctions also. People donate things, hold it in a hall and folks come and bid. Everything goes to the charity, and if items don't sell, then taken to goodwill.

I have set up a donation account with a bank before. Many people including myself have doubts about donation cans or jars. If you have an account number people are more comfortable donating larger amounts. The likelihood of it getting hijacked is pretty low.

An easier way, ask the local fire dept to let you have it in their parking lot. Get a bunch of food trucks, they donate a % of sales to her, the fd can have a beer wagon and keep all proceeds. Ask around for a guitar player or some entertainment. you sell 50/50, water and pop. Get some raffles and a gun ticket going. People can come and go or spend the day. It is usually a huge success and not as much work. People are spaghettied out.

Do you have a community facebook group? Talk to her boss see if he is willing to hold her donations. Post her story. I dont think being sick from an iffy situation for a month will warrant what you are wanting to do. Big pig roasts raffles ect. She should apply for emergency welfare. It for one will cover medical bill unpaid by insurance. Give her food assistance and utility bill help.

Angie, I don’t know. All I have is guesses from what has worked in the past
First, reach out to her family, church, friends
Garner support from those groups to help
Secondly contact state services to see what help for her is available
While that is brewing
Continue on with your plans to collect money from the community.
Get the word out via
Fakebook. Twibber, all media platforms including local radio stations
Classifieds. Etc. green sheet

In the past I have donated to quite a few fun raisers. I donate a piece of my art and it gets sold at auction the night of the event.
The ones that raise the most money have a higher per plate fee for people attending the dinner and they also have a free bar for a while. After dinner they have a live auction as well as a ongoing silent auction. People get juiced and donate more or compete with their associates to see who gets the good stuff.
Our nearest town is rife with non profits so they are constantly holding fund raisers on the grand scale. For the average person there are donation jars and surprisingly the local motorcycle clubs get involved with poker runs and 50/50 drawings for a good cause and a excuse to ride motorcycles and drink beer. Just on a small scale they raise 1500$ during one event,
All of these things take organization and some work and some money expended. I would advise to find a way to tap into those people who already know her or are already somehow connected. Much easier to get the word out that way.

I so appreciate the offer, but I haven't yet been able to speak to my friend. I've already spoken to some people who will be a great help IF she gives me the OK to move forward. I also have some other contacts that I will tap for help.

I admire your compassion and willingness to support your friend during such a challenging time. It's heartwarming to see your desire to help her beyond just providing financial assistance. Organizing an event for her is a fantastic idea, as it not only shows your care and support but also allows others to come together and rally around her.

If you're considering event planning, you might want to explore business team building companies. They specialize in creating meaningful and memorable experiences that bring people together. With their expertise, you can create an event that not only raises funds but also fosters a sense of camaraderie and support among attendees.
Hello, please go to the introduction section and introduce yourself. There are a few people here from Colorado and some from the Denver area.

Hello, please go to the introduction section and introduce yourself. There are a few people here from Colorado and some from the Denver area.
I admire your compassion and willingness to support your friend during such a challenging time. It's heartwarming to see your desire to help her beyond just providing financial assistance. Organizing an event for her is a fantastic idea, as it not only shows your care and support but also allows others to come together and rally around her.

If you're considering event planning, you might want to explore business team building companies. They specialize in creating meaningful and memorable experiences that bring people together. With their expertise, you can create an event that not only raises funds but also fosters a sense of camaraderie and support among attendees.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/forums/new-member-introductions.3/

Latest posts

Back