Long Distance Get Home Bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a 10 hour Drive is going to be a long way ON FOOT, you could be talking A MONTH's walk, maybe two.
food and water is going to be the main problem-no way can you carry a month's worth of food.
Water is even heavier than food and more needed. Filters are of the most importance to me. Even with food, yes you need some but mostly I think having ways to secure some along the way is better than trying to carry 45lbs of canned ham....

Lifestraw is your friend.

I have an hour drive to work each day, and I'm still pretty sure it would take me about 4 days to get home. I can't see me making much more than 10 miles a day at my age and fitness level. Of course, I'd be traveling at night, so that will help with the heat issue. (FL). During the day, I'm hiding and sleeping.

Lifestraw is your friend.

I have an hour drive to work each day, and I'm still pretty sure it would take me about 4 days to get home. I can't see me making much more than 10 miles a day at my age and fitness level. Of course, I'd be traveling at night, so that will help with the heat issue. (FL). During the day, I'm hiding and sleeping.
One thing to consider is if there is an EMP or other major event, you probably have several days before security begins to break down on a large scale. I would not worry about walking during daytime for at least 4 or 5 days, and probably much longer than that. I guess you would just have to asses the situation where you’re at when something happens. Of course I’m not naive either and conceal carry even now, so I would be carrying chambered during any real emergency just in case.

I reckon if someone can walk 10-12 miles a day EVERY day come wind, rain, hail or sunshine then they are doing well.

Back