Looking for advice on socket sets

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neb i have that same roll around box. 44". I want the top to match it.
I second the india made stuff as junk. It is worse than the China junk.
Peanut made a good point about getting sets for each size, 1/, 3/8, 1/2. A full set for all misses a lot.
Also the awiha screw drivers. German made, best I've ever used. Been buying them for my techs on my last 2 jobs. They hold up well.
If i got the matching top I would need to find a new home for the drill press and small band saw that live on top.

Ben

Thanks for all the help everyone! Y'all are much better equipped with tools than I'll ever hope to be. But you made some very good points and taught me some stuff that I really appreciate.

The criteria I used in my selection, based on what was said here and what I researched elsewhere:
  1. Lifetime warranty/replacement
  2. Full set of both shallow and deep sockets - no gaps
  3. All 6-point sockets
  4. Fully necked down deep sockets, for getting into the tightest places possible
  5. Large, readable size markings one each socket and on each holder in the case
  6. Just sockets and socket accessories - no bits, wrenches or other stuff thrown in
  7. Ratchets with at least 72 teeth and a quick release button
  8. Good sturdy case, good hinges, good latches, tightly holds sockets in place even when jostled
  9. Mobile - throw it in your backpack and go if needed, not a large chest that is semi-stationary in your garage
  10. A brand name I had at least heard of, and seen in stores (not something off Amazon with a brand name like "YouLikeEmShinySockets")
I ended up with Tekton brand. I bought them locally, at a store that had a huge aisle - both sides - of nothing but Tekton brand (they also had other aisles with DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.) I was able to handle the tools and see how well the ratchet worked, inspect the finish on the parts, etc. The Tekton aisle had a ton of stuff - from individual sockets in big pull-out drawers, to ever ratchet imaginable, to gigantic tools that must be meant for earth moving equipment and airplane repairs.

I bought both a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive set. I like that ALL sockets are included (no missing ones in the series) including both shallow and deep sockets. Most other brand kits I researched have gaps - especially in the deep sockets. The 1/4" set has a neat little tray built into the case to hold bolts, nuts, other accessories and such (no such tray on the 3/8" set however).

The 1/4" set is 4-14mm (including 4.5 and 5.5) and 5/32-9/16" 6-point Cost $60 ($8 cheaper than Amazon)
The 3/8" set is 8-19mm and 5/16-3/4" 6-point Cost $75 ($3 more than Amazon)

The ratchets are both 90 teeth so you have pretty fine movement.

Warranty is great. Lifetime. You take a picture of the broken tool, upload it to their website, and they send a replacement direct to you. No receipt or other proof of purchase required.

There are three things not included that I will add myself: (1) Flexible spring-shaft spinner handle, (2) 3/8-1/4" adapter (I have several of those already laying around, and (3) hex adapter for using sockets with a drill (I have those already too). I already have a flexible spring extension in 1/4", but I want one with an integrated handle as well.

NOW, the big question is: Do I give both these sets to my son? Give him one and keep the other? Or keep both sets for myself and go out and buy two more to give to my son? They do make smaller and cheaper versions of these sets that are Metric only (they also make SAE only sets), which would suit my son's intended use, but I'm thinking you never know when you might have to work on something unanticipated that needs SAE.

The Craftsman kit came in a close second - and it would have been cheaper - but it ultimately lost out because of gaps in the socket series (most evident in the deep ones). Also, the Craftsman ratchets were only 72 teeth, but that was not a deal breaker - just something that I noticed. I'll tell you, it was definitely difficult for me to pay $130 total for these two kits when the Craftsman was only $79 on sale. But I figured, "Hey, it's only money, and I like the layout of the Tekton cases better"

14.png

38.png

Looks like a great choice. While perusing the web, look what I saw regarding Craftsman tools in 2010.

The majority of Craftsman tools are not produced in the United States. They use many third party manufacturers to make their various products. Beginning in 2010, many of Craftsman's hand tools (manufactured by Apex Tool Group) began to be assembled in China in Taiwan.Apr 23, 2021

1634437473838.png
I got this packout on sale for Christmas & got a set for my son, my set is in the Conex.
The 52 inch -8 drawer tower is no longer for sale, it was a close out at Lowes Kobalt 20 years ago.

Last edited:
View attachment 73890I got this packout on sale for Christmas & got a set for my son, my set is in the Conex.
The 52 inch -8 drawer tower is no longer for sale, it was a close out at Lowes Kobalt 20 years ago.
I have that same setup for my range equipment. The bottom box holds my 6 steel targets and brackets, the middle box holds my paints, spray glues (for the paper targets), and the top box is used for my clamps, staplers, timer, and scorecards. Works great, but really heavy!

Go to a farmer's retirement auction or an estate auction that has tools. Sometimes consignment auctions are good too. I've bought a bunch of Craftsman ratchets and miscellaneous sockets that way. Hint: if the ratchet is stuck, it will sell for pennies. Get it and soak it in PB blaster for 24 hours and it will probably be good as new.

Note that the 9/16 and 1/2 sockets will probably be gone. For $10 you can buy singles at the farm store to replace them.

Something to think about are "pass through" sockets sets. Those can be real handy in tight spaces. Crescent tools makes a set that's about $30 or $40 and holds up just fine for casual use...

Looks like a great choice. While perusing the web, look what I saw regarding Craftsman tools in 2010.

The majority of Craftsman tools are not produced in the United States. They use many third party manufacturers to make their various products. Beginning in 2010, many of Craftsman's hand tools (manufactured by Apex Tool Group) began to be assembled in China in Taiwan.Apr 23, 2021
Craftsman has been bought by Stanley/Black & Decker and is supposed to be moving production to a new facility in Texas. I don't know if it has happened yet or not.

As I understand it, the Apex Craftsman and the Dewalt hand tools are made in the same Chinese factory. They are similar in quality.

Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh Pro" tools are a great value. They're made in Taiwan to a better standard than the plain "Pittsburgh" tools. I've got a 1/2" Pittsburgh Pro ratchet in my kit at work and it's been outstanding.

I'm not saying I am a professional mechanic, but I was.
I used nothing but Craftsman tools daily from 1976 thru 2018.
How many years is that? :dunno:
I rarely ever broke one.
The 8-point sockets are for driving a thread tap or ez-out in a place where there is no room for a handle.
Same here, except mine started in the late 1960s and are still in use today. :)

I have broken one or two ratchets (internal gears stripped) and cracked one deep socket (by pounding on it with a hammer) and all of these were replaced for free, no questions asked.

I keep almost all of my mechanic tools in my pickup truck....just in case I am on the road and need them. They are stored in a 4-drawer Craftsman tool box. I can barely lift the box anymore. I fear that I am going to have to buy two smaller boxes and split the tools up into the boxes.

My son is a Milwaukee nut, so I got this for Christmas:
1634491486976.png

It works well in tight spots, never use one before this one, always used hand ratchets.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Y'all are much better equipped with tools than I'll ever hope to be. But you made some very good points and taught me some stuff that I really appreciate.

The criteria I used in my selection, based on what was said here and what I researched elsewhere:
  1. Lifetime warranty/replacement
  2. Full set of both shallow and deep sockets - no gaps
  3. All 6-point sockets
  4. Fully necked down deep sockets, for getting into the tightest places possible
  5. Large, readable size markings one each socket and on each holder in the case
  6. Just sockets and socket accessories - no bits, wrenches or other stuff thrown in
  7. Ratchets with at least 72 teeth and a quick release button
  8. Good sturdy case, good hinges, good latches, tightly holds sockets in place even when jostled
  9. Mobile - throw it in your backpack and go if needed, not a large chest that is semi-stationary in your garage
  10. A brand name I had at least heard of, and seen in stores (not something off Amazon with a brand name like "YouLikeEmShinySockets")
I ended up with Tekton brand. I bought them locally, at a store that had a huge aisle - both sides - of nothing but Tekton brand (they also had other aisles with DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.) I was able to handle the tools and see how well the ratchet worked, inspect the finish on the parts, etc. The Tekton aisle had a ton of stuff - from individual sockets in big pull-out drawers, to ever ratchet imaginable, to gigantic tools that must be meant for earth moving equipment and airplane repairs.

I bought both a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive set. I like that ALL sockets are included (no missing ones in the series) including both shallow and deep sockets. Most other brand kits I researched have gaps - especially in the deep sockets. The 1/4" set has a neat little tray built into the case to hold bolts, nuts, other accessories and such (no such tray on the 3/8" set however).

The 1/4" set is 4-14mm (including 4.5 and 5.5) and 5/32-9/16" 6-point Cost $60 ($8 cheaper than Amazon)
The 3/8" set is 8-19mm and 5/16-3/4" 6-point Cost $75 ($3 more than Amazon)

The ratchets are both 90 teeth so you have pretty fine movement.

Warranty is great. Lifetime. You take a picture of the broken tool, upload it to their website, and they send a replacement direct to you. No receipt or other proof of purchase required.

There are three things not included that I will add myself: (1) Flexible spring-shaft spinner handle, (2) 3/8-1/4" adapter (I have several of those already laying around, and (3) hex adapter for using sockets with a drill (I have those already too). I already have a flexible spring extension in 1/4", but I want one with an integrated handle as well.

NOW, the big question is: Do I give both these sets to my son? Give him one and keep the other? Or keep both sets for myself and go out and buy two more to give to my son? They do make smaller and cheaper versions of these sets that are Metric only (they also make SAE only sets), which would suit my son's intended use, but I'm thinking you never know when you might have to work on something unanticipated that needs SAE.

The Craftsman kit came in a close second - and it would have been cheaper - but it ultimately lost out because of gaps in the socket series (most evident in the deep ones). Also, the Craftsman ratchets were only 72 teeth, but that was not a deal breaker - just something that I noticed. I'll tell you, it was definitely difficult for me to pay $130 total for these two kits when the Craftsman was only $79 on sale. But I figured, "Hey, it's only money, and I like the layout of the Tekton cases better"

View attachment 73877

View attachment 73878

I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread again! 😊

I have been missing not having a the larger sized that come with the 1/2 inch set, so I just ordered this.

About 20 years ago, Sears had a Black Friday sale, where they were selling 200 piece mechanic sets (3/8 &1/2 drive) for $49 a piece. Regular price was $200. Well, i bought 2 sets, gave one to my grandson, and the other is still sealed and up in my attic. I now have a 7 year old grandson, still too young but may find them cool in about 5 years.

About 20 years ago, Sears had a Black Friday sale, where they were selling 200 piece mechanic sets (3/8 &1/2 drive) for $49 a piece. Regular price was $200. Well, i bought 2 sets, gave one to my grandson, and the other is still sealed and up in my attic. I now have a 7 year old grandson, still too young but may find them cool in about 5 years.

I wish the Sears that I remembered from the 1970s still existed. From guns, tools, toys and appliances, they had it all. Those days are long gone as are the quality associated with their once proud brands.

I wish the Sears that I remembered from the 1970s still existed. From guns, tools, toys and appliances, they had it all. Those days are long gone as are the quality associated with their once proud brands.
Exactly. Most times when something was needed mom and dad said "Let's go to Sears Roebuck." Tools, car parts, tires, a pool table, Kenmore appliances, clothes, they had most things a family needed. My brother bought a Sears branded Winchester 94 in 30-30 back about 1980 or so, I bought it cheap from him about 7 years later and still have it. It isn't a very tight action but it shoots good. It will probably only be used for occasional plinking as a novelty because the open areas in the Utah desert are better suited for faster rounds that can travel farther but I have more than enough boxes of ammo if I ever need it for deer hunting.

At the end of WWII you could by a house from Sears, I think it started at $35,000.00.

I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread again! 😊

I have been missing not having a the larger sized that come with the 1/2 inch set, so I just ordered this.

This finally arrived! The box as labeled a "two man lift" but my 100 lb wife was able to put it in the back of the truck and haul it up the mountain and into the cabin on her own. She did ask me what the "heck" did I order that was so heavy. I haven't used the set yet, but it is a thing of beauty. And heavy (About 50lbs, I would guess)!

This finally arrived! The box as labeled a "two man lift" but my 100 lb wife was able to put it in the back of the truck and haul it up the mountain and into the cabin on her own. She did ask me what the "heck" did I order that was so heavy. I haven't used the set yet, but it is a thing of beauty. And heavy (About 50lbs, I would guess)!
Congratulations!

After getting married, becoming a parent/grandparent...

It doesn't get much better than a new set of tools!

Ben

FWIW, I ended up giving both of the Tekton sets I bought to my son (an early Christmas present). And after looking them over next to his motorcycle, I noted that he has a lot of allen hex screws holding that thing together. He said that most of the allen stuff were "covers" and deeper down inside you find the nuts and bolts that the sockets would fit. But being a good dad, I promptly went out and bought him a set of hex bit sockets to go with the other two sets I gave him. I went metric-only for these bits because that's all he needs. He has a decent set of hex wrenches already, and these new ones are just for convenience. So now he's set! This means, of course, that now I have to go out and buy some more socket sets for myself, since my son ended up being the recipient of the sets I already bought.

I researched these hex bit sets and it seems a common complaint is breakage, regardless of brand (but far worse for the cheap Chinese brands). So I went with the Tekton brand for these as well, due to their near perfect implementation of a warranty (take a picture of the broken item, upload that to their website, and they send a replacement - no proof of purchase or other paperwork required).

p.s. - Tekton tools are made in Taiwan I believe, as are many of even the higher end hand tools these days. But there is a distinction between "cheap Chinese brands" and "good stuff that happens to be made in China".

HexBits.png

Last edited:

Stanley Black & Decker bought the Craftsman brand and rights in 2017 for 900 million. To my knowledge they were breaking ground in Battle Creek, MI next to their other plant and were planning on returning it to Made in the USA.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/busine...decker-craftsman-relaunch-20180815-story.html

Latest posts

Back