Looking for Mattress Suggestions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I got a new mattress about a month ago and I hate it. I spent $1800 on it and it doesn't have a sleep guarantee. It's a good named spring mattress but it felt way more comfortable in the store. It had a soft feel to it, but the one we got is not soft. It's killing my hips and shoulders b/c I am a side sleeper. Hubbys not comfortable either. I have a faux feather topper on it, but it doesn't help. It's still way too firm.

I am again on the hunt for a new mattress b/c this one sucks and I now dread going to bed. I toss and turn all night in pain. I had a foam mattress that I didn't like, which was the one before this one that I only had for a couple of years. It too was too firm. I put an eggcrate foam mattress topper on it, a 3 inch foam topper on it, and enen tried the faux feather topper. Nothing worked. It was still too firm and I felt like I got stuck in place an unable to move with the foam toppers. I also run hot, so I like something that will dissipate heat.

So now I'm looking at a Purple mattress. I tried one in store and liked it, but it's really hard to know after just a few minutes in store. They are pricey but I'd be willing to pony up some $$$ for some blissful sleep without pain. Apparently people really like them or they really hate them. The saleperson I spoke with at the store said it was the most returned mattress and wouldn't recommend it. Although, it was evident that she was just mad at the world in general, so I'm not really sure what to make of her opinion. It does have a 100 night sleep guarantee, so I'm definitely considering it.

There's also Nectar, which is a direct competitor to Purple and much cheaper. However, it is a gel mattress which makes me think it would be a lot like the last one we had and didn't like. I'm hoping to be able to try it out at a store perhaps sometime within the next week. It also has a 1 year sleep guarantee.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mattress that they LOVE? Has anyone tried Purple or Nectar? Pros and cons please.....

We have a sleepnumber queen-size and each side can be a different firmness. My wife likes a soft, fluffy mattress. I'm more of a slab of granite kind of guy. So this works well for us. They're not cheap at around $1500, but not the most expensive, either. If you have a store near you, maybe it's something to consider.

I can't help, the last mattress we got was from the "original mattress factory" and was was the firmest one they had.

After all the crap I have slept on, it doesnt much matter any more, no rock under my hip is a plus.

Wife and I have a very cheap mattress, that said, we put a MyPillow topper on it. That changed everything. I love it so much, I put one on the cheap mattress in my camper. I highly recommend their mattress pillow topper. Good luck on the search.
I considered getting one of those. Does it break down over time or does it hold it's form? Is is soft on the hips for a side sleeper? Does it get hot? I'm intrigued.....

The nearest sleep number bed store is about 2 hours away from me in a direction I rarely go to. However, we might have to take a special trip to check them out.

We have had 3 sleep number beds. The first one was a king-size. When we moved into an RV we gave it to my son. As far as I know he is still using it. The second was an RV queen. When we sold the RV we kept it and put it in the guest room of our new home. We currently sleep on a King-size I10 I think. At any rate we love them. My wife always runs hot and she doesn't have any issues. Although we have a ceiling fan in our room. Like most things expensive or quality you only regret spending the money on the first day.

I got a new mattress about a month ago and I hate it. I spent $1800 on it and it doesn't have a sleep guarantee. It's a good named spring mattress but it felt way more comfortable in the store. It had a soft feel to it, but the one we got is not soft. It's killing my hips and shoulders b/c I am a side sleeper. Hubbys not comfortable either. I have a faux feather topper on it, but it doesn't help. It's still way too firm.

I am again on the hunt for a new mattress b/c this one sucks and I now dread going to bed. I toss and turn all night in pain. I had a foam mattress that I didn't like, which was the one before this one that I only had for a couple of years. It too was too firm. I put an eggcrate foam mattress topper on it, a 3 inch foam topper on it, and enen tried the faux feather topper. Nothing worked. It was still too firm and I felt like I got stuck in place an unable to move with the foam toppers. I also run hot, so I like something that will dissipate heat.

So now I'm looking at a Purple mattress. I tried one in store and liked it, but it's really hard to know after just a few minutes in store. They are pricey but I'd be willing to pony up some $$$ for some blissful sleep without pain. Apparently people really like them or they really hate them. The saleperson I spoke with at the store said it was the most returned mattress and wouldn't recommend it. Although, it was evident that she was just mad at the world in general, so I'm not really sure what to make of her opinion. It does have a 100 night sleep guarantee, so I'm definitely considering it.

There's also Nectar, which is a direct competitor to Purple and much cheaper. However, it is a gel mattress which makes me think it would be a lot like the last one we had and didn't like. I'm hoping to be able to try it out at a store perhaps sometime within the next week. It also has a 1 year sleep guarantee.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mattress that they LOVE? Has anyone tried Purple or Nectar? Pros and cons please.....
We loved our waterbed because we are aide sleepers. I was concerned about it freezing in winter if we lost power in winter.

We got the softest mattress we could find but it was just too firm. Added a My Pillow mattress topper and that made the difference. Still not as good as the waterbed.

Ben

We got the softest mattress we could find but it was just too firm. Added a My Pillow mattress topper and that made the difference.
Which one did you get? They have a new one with coils in it. They also have a 2 or 3 inch foam topper. I've had foam toppers in the past and there were 3 things I didn't like about them. 1. They didn't really adress the pressure points. It still felt uncomforable on my hip and shoulder. 2. They were hot. 3. I felt like I was stuck in the topper.....like I couldn't roll to the side without a lot of effort b/c I was sunk into the topper.

I'm tempted by the newest topper. I called and spoke with 2 different people and both recommended a different topper. One said the new one is more firm so she suggested the 3 inch topper. The other said she would recommend the new one. Since I've had a foam topper before (not a mypillow one), I'm reluctant to get another one. However, I'd love to be able to get a topper and be happy with it than to trash the bed after only having it a month.

Which one did you get? They have a new one with coils in it. They also have a 2 or 3 inch foam topper. I've had foam toppers in the past and there were 3 things I didn't like about them. 1. They didn't really adress the pressure points. It still felt uncomforable on my hip and shoulder. 2. They were hot. 3. I felt like I was stuck in the topper.....like I couldn't roll to the side without a lot of effort b/c I was sunk into the topper.

I'm tempted by the newest topper. I called and spoke with 2 different people and both recommended a different topper. One said the new one is more firm so she suggested the 3 inch topper. The other said she would recommend the new one. Since I've had a foam topper before (not a mypillow one), I'm reluctant to get another one. However, I'd love to be able to get a topper and be happy with it than to trash the bed after only having it a month.
3" foam.

I don't get stuck.

Ben

I got a new mattress about a month ago and I hate it. I spent $1800 on it and it doesn't have a sleep guarantee. It's a good named spring mattress but it felt way more comfortable in the store.
This makes me wonder if it's the same model mattress that you tried in the store. I've experienced, not all, but some mattress dealers are shysters. You could also call the corporation to see if your warranty covers not being satisfied.

We loved our waterbed because we are aide sleepers. I was concerned about it freezing in winter if we lost power in winter.

We got the softest mattress we could find but it was just too firm. Added a My Pillow mattress topper and that made the difference. Still not as good as the waterbed.

Ben
I had a water bed for about 20 years. When I married, hubby wasn’t thrilled with it. We now have a temperpedic, which I like but I still wish I had my waterbed. Mine had no baffles in it. It was just one bladder of water.

I had a water bed for about 20 years. When I married, hubby wasn’t thrilled with it. We now have a temperpedic, which I like but I still wish I had my waterbed. Mine had no baffles in it. It was just one bladder of water.
Wish we still had our full wave waterbed. But my back finally got to where I was having a hard time getting out of it.

This makes me wonder if it's the same model mattress that you tried in the store. I've experienced, not all, but some mattress dealers are shysters. You could also call the corporation to see if your warranty covers not being satisfied.
I bought it from a local mom and pop store. I wouldn't be surprised if the model on the floor was perhaps more broken in? I don't know. I asked about a sleep guarantee and she said there wasn't one, so I knew what I was gambling on. The matress looks like the same model in the store and the tag matches, so it is what it is. I'm not going to make a stink of it b/c I know the people and I made the decision hastily which was my own fault. I should have done more research before buying a new bed. From now on, a sleep guarantee is a must.

I went and tried out some more mattresses at a different (bigger) store. They had Nectar, Casper, Purple, Temperpedic, Serta and some others. Now, I'm actually leaning toward the soft temperpedic. Of coarse, I liked the high end one which will be about $5,000. It's just really tough to try and decide on a mattress with a salesperson hovering around. He was nice and informative....but dude.....go away! He finally got a call and had to leave but trying to pick a mattress in store is not an easy task.

While we were shopping I encountered another couple who were returning their Purple mattress. I still think I would like it, but with such a high return rate, I think I'm going to steer clear. Apparently Temperpedic is the most highly rated mattress, which I was told after I had already decided that it would likely be my next mattress.

In the meantime, I ordered the 2.0 topper so we'll give it a try first to see if we can salvage our current mattress. It's not all foam, so I'm hoping it will work better for me. If not, I'll send the topper back (and be out probably $70 for shipping) and buy another mattress.

I have temperpedic mattresses. Same problem. They felt good in the store but the ones received were too hard and that was with one a grade softer than the other. We had to put mattress toppers on them.

We now use 3" blue gel foam toppers which are cooler than the old kind. In winter, we have flannel sheets and jammies in a deliberately cold house, so warmish is OK.

I bought it from a local mom and pop store. I wouldn't be surprised if the model on the floor was perhaps more broken in? I don't know. I asked about a sleep guarantee and she said there wasn't one, so I knew what I was gambling on. The matress looks like the same model in the store and the tag matches, so it is what it is. I'm not going to make a stink of it b/c I know the people and I made the decision hastily which was my own fault. I should have done more research before buying a new bed. From now on, a sleep guarantee is a must.

I went and tried out some more mattresses at a different (bigger) store. They had Nectar, Casper, Purple, Temperpedic, Serta and some others. Now, I'm actually leaning toward the soft temperpedic. Of coarse, I liked the high end one which will be about $5,000. It's just really tough to try and decide on a mattress with a salesperson hovering around. He was nice and informative....but dude.....go away! He finally got a call and had to leave but trying to pick a mattress in store is not an easy task.

While we were shopping I encountered another couple who were returning their Purple mattress. I still think I would like it, but with such a high return rate, I think I'm going to steer clear. Apparently Temperpedic is the most highly rated mattress, which I was told after I had already decided that it would likely be my next mattress.

In the meantime, I ordered the 2.0 topper so we'll give it a try first to see if we can salvage our current mattress. It's not all foam, so I'm hoping it will work better for me. If not, I'll send the topper back (and be out probably $70 for shipping) and buy another mattress.
Thanks for the clarification. I hope it works out for you.

Back to this thread again:( We slept in our camper last week and we were both impressed that we were able to sleep thru the night without tossing and turning. Well, that got me thinking that it's time to pony up some more $$$ and take another risk on a new mattress......again. Hubby's hips are killing him and my shoulders and arms keep going numb. I even bought the expensive purple pillows to see if that would help take some pressure off my shoulders. Nope. Ug! Why is finding the perfect mattress such a PIA???

I guess we just accepted the uncomfortable bed (even with the mypillow topper) b/c it was new. Well, life's too short to spend a third of my life in an uncomfortalbe bed, especially considering how much a good nights sleep affects everything else. I'm gonna have to schedule a trip to town soon to pick out another mattress........

Here's my suggestion: Research, research, research. Go to U-Tube & watch video's of mattress reviews. Hear everyone's opinion of why they are good & bad. I suggested that because after 3 BAD mattresses that's what I did. It will take a while but in the end you can narrow it down a LOT. I had it down to 2 mattresses & the number one choice just happened to have a sale. Yes it was a mail order mattress that came in a box. We wanted firm but soft if that makes sense. We are both big people (my wife is 6ft & I'm over that) so we wanted a mattress that would last but we still soft enough to sleep on.

That was 5 or so years ago & we are as happy with our mattress as the day we got it. As I remember it had a 10 year guarantee but if it broke down today, by tonight I'd have another on order. Do I suggest this company or this mattress, nope. That's because each person is different, you need to do your own research. Don't buy one without the research. And trying them out in a store is worthless. We did that & paid big bucks & replaced it 2 years later. A waste of money!

Here's my suggestion: Research, research, research.
Been there and done that. The problem is.....a mattress is almost impossible to make a good decision on b/c you don't know what you'll get until you get it. And yes, laying on one in the store doesn't work either......again, been there and done that and was still unhappy with the choice.

Which one did you finally go with?

I'm now considering a Helix mattress for side sleepers. There is a sleep guarantee so we could send it back if it didn't work out. Although, I'm uncertain how that would work since there's no way to get the mattress back in the box once it's out. I'm sure there is a process and return shipping would likely be expensive. I'm going to call them next week and see how that would work. I'm a bit weary about getting a mattress in a box, but getting one in the store didn't work, so I might as well give it a shot. We got a Tochta mattress in a box before upon the suggestion of a good friend. We ended up giving her ours b/c we hated it.

Been there and done that. The problem is.....a mattress is almost impossible to make a good decision on b/c you don't know what you'll get until you get it. And yes, laying on one in the store doesn't work either......again, been there and done that and was still unhappy with the choice.

Which one did you finally go with?

I'm now considering a Helix mattress for side sleepers. There is a sleep guarantee so we could send it back if it didn't work out. Although, I'm uncertain how that would work since there's no way to get the mattress back in the box once it's out. I'm sure there is a process and return shipping would likely be expensive. I'm going to call them next week and see how that would work. I'm a bit weary about getting a mattress in a box, but getting one in the store didn't work, so I might as well give it a shot. We got a Tochta mattress in a box before upon the suggestion of a good friend. We ended up giving her ours b/c we hated it.
Again I suggest research, but we bought from Brooklyn Bedding & I believe it was a Titan mattress. We love it. Also, because we sleep with 3 dogs I can say that the 6 or 7 inches of the side of the bed holds up if that's where you sleep (or are forced to sleep).

Every mattress I've had sucked. And I've had some "good" ones. Every mattress forms a valley where I sleep, making turning over a real chore. I bought one 3 years ago, and now it's a piece of crap. I'm thinking of throwing it into the street in front of the giant garbage truck, and paying them to run over it a half a dozen times.

Latest posts

Back