Looking to tweak out my FM reception.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What the article is describing here is a dipole antenna. As long as your radio has two connectors to attach both leads of the wire to they work well. One of the drawbacks is that it is a directional antenna and you might not receive stations in a certain location relative to the outstretched portions of the dipole.

If your radio does not have an external antenna connector you can do what you said and attach a piece of wire onto the antenna and stretch it out as far as you can. That is known as a long wire antenna and usually the longer the better.

The only drawbacks to external antennas are that some radios are very sensitive but not very selective. If you hook up a longer antenna and you receive the same strong station at different points along the tuning dial (not just their broadcasting frequency) then you have a radio that is over-driving the receiver’s tuner.

My radio has an old cell phone type antenna, but I'm replacing it, it no longer holds my frequencies.

Its not, the 0bama power surge that fried the AC got the radio too, but my reception here would suck if I had a 1000$ Grundig or Sangein.

Latest posts

Back