"LOPPERS" Best HOMESTEAD tool for the money......PERIOD.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
If you have never owned or operated a large pair of "LOPPERS", you have been cheating yourself. Dollar for Dollar the most useful homestead tool. You can get a good pair of "Loppers" for $30.00 (Bigger is better). Some style operating/design systems are better also.

This is just my opinion, if you have never owned/operated this tool. Avoid "Bypass" style. Anvil style is better. Only go with "COMPOUND" style (4 bar compound linkage triples your cutting power). It reduces the physical work to close them. And bigger is better.

Last edited:
Great tool, like bolt-cutters but meant for wood... the leverage comes in handy, as opposed to garden shears. I'm sure that mobsters and cartel goons have used loppers to lop off fingers, toes, and whatever else during torture sessions... but I like my loppers, they really DO come in handy here at the ol' hacienda, and I'm only on 1/2 acre, lol. ;)

If you have never owned or operated a large pair of "LOPPERS", you have been cheating yourself. Dollar for Dollar the most useful homestead tool. You can get a good pair of "Loppers" for $30.00 (Bigger is better). Some style operating/design systems are better also.

This is just my opinion, if you have never owned/operated this tool. Avoid "Bypass" style. Anvil style is better. Only go with "COMPOUND" style (4 bar compound linkage triples your cutting power). It reduces the physical work to close them. And bigger is better.
I have bypass racheting loppers. They are marketed for women which means easier to use. I just have to remember to not force it and bend the handles.

Ben

I have a set of Corona Loppers with extendable handles. They make getting into low or high places easier. But you do need to watch how much force you apply. I have backed off a couple times I felt like could damage them. They are a by-pass model and I have had zero problem with them. Never cared for anvil types. Seems like they never cut cleanly.
But I agree loppers are very handy tools

I can do better with some pictures.

This is my tool holster I take to the orchard.

20230628_204452_HDR.jpg

It contains most of what I use maintain the trees.

20230628_204632.jpg

Samurai saw for large branches.

Bypass pruners.

Japanese weeding tool.

Hedge clippers with extendable handles.

Loppers.

20230628_204820.jpg

Loppers with handles collapsed.

20230628_204917.jpg

Handles extended.

20230628_204850.jpg

Ratcheting head.

20230628_205020.jpg

20230628_205049.jpg

Depending on how hard the wood is it can cut almost 2". The limit is the handles which are extruded aluminum that I could probably bend it I went all brute mode.

Ben

View attachment 110916

View attachment 110917

Bypass pruners.

Japanese weeding tool.

Loppers.

View attachment 110918

View attachment 110919

Handles extended.

View attachment 110920

Ratcheting head.

View attachment 110922

View attachment 110924

Depending on how hard the wood is it can cut almost 2". The limit is the handles which are extruded aluminum that I could probably bend it I went all brute mode.

Ben
Bonus note

When I am digging holes to transplant trees I often encounter tree roots that make digging a pain. The lopper make short order of the roots. With long handles I don't have to bend over.

Ben

I have some loppers, just thought they were called the big cutters.
<Sarcasm>
I hate loppers. :mad:
Every time I see them come out, it means that I have a ton of branches to tote out to the roadgaah.
The trees all look fine to me, but she says that every one of them needs to be 'trimmed':(.

<Sarcasm>
I hate loppers. :mad:
Every time I see them come out, it means that I have a ton of branches to tote out to the roadgaah.
The trees all look fine to me, but she says that every one of them needs to be 'trimmed':(.
I'll send my Hubby your way! He'll intend to trim one or two little branches and gets carried away!! 🙄🌳🌲

View attachment 110916

View attachment 110917

Bypass pruners.

Japanese weeding tool.

Loppers.

View attachment 110918

View attachment 110919

Handles extended.

View attachment 110920

Ratcheting head.

View attachment 110922

View attachment 110924

Ben
Where did you holster come from. Looks like a good set up. I wind up using a 5 gallon bucket

Where did you holster come from. Looks like a good set up. I wind up using a 5 gallon bucket
Mother Earth News convention.

EZ Kut Sling Pak Lopper Sheath - World’s First Sling Pak All-in-one Garden Tool Set Bag Loppers, Pruner, Wow Saw & Other Gardening Tools - Heavy Duty Tool Organizers - Garden Tool Organizer https://a.co/d/dsdEmXh

Ben

We use ours all the time. Lopper get near daily use on our compound.

I have several pair of loppers and two pole saws. One electric and one manual.
When I get out the electric pole saw I always have a huge pile of limbs to deal with.
Every spring I get the loppers out and cut the rose bushes down to about a foot tall.
I'm hoping I kill all the roses one day but so far they just keep coming back.
My cousin gave my wife 24 rose bushes and every last one survives.

loppers and pruners = shooting lanes for deer

Latest posts

Back