Lost in the woods, found dead. Another one.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading about people getting hypothermia and wondered why it seems that so many that are found dead have taken off their clothes. I did a little research and it seems, that the muscles tire themselves out with shivering and when they stop shivering all the heat from the core goes rushing to the extremities, then the individual feels overwhelmingly hot, so they start taking off clothing, which leads to more hypothermia and so on. This is called "paradoxical hypothermia". Also some individuals are found dead crammed into small spaces, this is called "terminal burrowing".

I was reading about people getting hypothermia and wondered why it seems that so many that are found dead have taken off their clothes. I did a little research and it seems, that the muscles tire themselves out with shivering and when they stop shivering all the heat from the core goes rushing to the extremities, then the individual feels overwhelmingly hot, so they start taking off clothing, which leads to more hypothermia and so on. This is called "paradoxical hypothermia". Also some individuals are found dead crammed into small spaces, this is called "terminal burrowing".

Getting hypothermia the most rational person would start the cognitive decline then euphoria follows and death.

I've gotten turned around, even in familiar places. It happens.

Hypothermia? I dunno. Every year I pretty much try to get it, no luck yet, although last year I feel like I was almost there.

Maybe this year will be the year, and I'll prove to myself it's not a myth.

About 12 years ago we were searching for a lost hunter, when we found him he didn’t have his pack or rifle, it apparently got left somewhere, it was bad enough he couldn’t remember his name or what he was doing out in the forest, hypothermia affect brain like hyponatremia, it gradually affecting memory, you don’t know it’s coming over you, no, it’s not a myth.

I know. But I spend so much time in cold water, wet and cold, get all my stuff wet and muddy then frozen. I have to be a prime candidate.

We'll see. The Rock is a different animal than the Wisconsin River, the only decent island is N****r Island (it's on the map, that's not some racist crap) and in the winter the Sand bar is exposed and flood prone. And it's a long swim, and if you time wrong the current will take you past it.

I'll head out there when I know it's gonna be miserable, see if I can't get a tad hypothermic.

I know. But I spend so much time in cold water, wet and cold, get all my stuff wet and muddy then frozen. I have to be a prime candidate.

We'll see. The Rock is a different animal than the Wisconsin River, the only decent island is N****r Island (it's on the map, that's not some racist crap) and in the winter the Sand bar is exposed and flood prone. And it's a long swim, and if you time wrong the current will take you past it.

I'll head out there when I know it's gonna be miserable, see if I can't get a tad hypothermic.
You can be there and not realize it, what ya gonna do take a rectal thermometer? LOL

Hypothermia cause the heart to becomes very sensitive and can be easily go into an irregular rhythm and/or cardiac arrest, once the body core temperature drops the heart begins being affected without you even noticing, I wouldn't go out and test myself. If you must, do it in the shower running just cold water with a fan blowing on you, don't eat anything before and during the test and have someone around that can call. You can get hypothermia in 80 degree waters.

To be honest, I feel it to be a foolish attempt.

Last edited:
Last night I was watching TV and fell asleep in the chair. Around 10.30 I had a knock on the door. The dog started barking and I grabbed a gun. At the front door was a half dead lost hunter. He colasped at the water faucet and sucked down about a half gallon of water. He said he started hunting early that morning and soon got lost. This dipshit didn't take any water with him and the only food he had was some salty snacks. He claimed that he was chased by two bears and shot one wounding it. Once he recoved a bit, and since I knew where his camp site was located, I told him to start walking north and eventually he'd run across my northern fence line. Then turn left (west) and follow it for a few miles and he'd come across the county road. Now turn north again and in about 15 miles he'd come across his camp site. I offered to give him a gallon of water to take with him at no charge. This guy was really scared and begged me to give him a ride.
I just can't believe that people, especially hunters, going out in the wilderness would be so unprepared. It was a good thing that the weather was rather warm for this time of year.
Now I've got a wounded bear running around the place to deal with. I really dislike flatlanders.

up to 20 years ago I "might" have been a people person, or at least I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but during the last 20 years, say from the millennium onwards I have found people to be "mad, sad and dangerous to know" on top of that they are stupid and an accident waiting to happen.snowflakes and trolls seem to be everywhere.

Iv dealt with the Public for over 30 years as a career . Im probably the last Person You would call a People Person . I don't like that part of My job but Im good at it . You can develop a lot of skills dealing with People . And Iv dealt with most situations You can think of when dealing with the public .

wife's cousin's family are like that, what we used to call here a "problem" family, I think they are now called "a family in crisis" or something similar. thankfully they live well away from us.

wife says she's getting to be like me, dosent want anything to do with others-they are just too much hassle.
she's the one that answers the phone, I just pay the bills.

Latest posts

Back