LOST My "MAN CARD" Today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7BD74F6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1711832609385.png

No danger to your ..man card.. at all.. I routinely use tote bags grocery shopping as the free flimsy plastic bags aren't durable.. One winter as a ..keep myself busy project.. I sewed a number of tote bags out of bird seed, dog food, and other livestock feed bags.. They were quite colorful, had nice pictures and quite sturdy.. I used them, gave some away, traded many to the Mennonite ladies who had stalls at the local farmers markets..

We are going to Italy in October. My other half just purchased me a man purse, with one strap, that hangs on your belly, and said, "you like this?" I cleared my throat and told her, "thanks but no thanks!"
Back to Spamazon it went.

(Man Card still attached)
You will wish you had the MURSE on that trip!!

I normally carry in a large freezer bag that we bought at Sam's. The zipper broke on it so now it's just my shopping bag. I do that for one reason, my wife sends me to the store about 3 to 4 times a week. If I get their bags they mount up. I don't need 100 or more plastic bags hanging around the house.

You will wish you had the MURSE on that trip!!
I would at least take a day pack and a slingbag and the bumbag i posted...i am thinking of buying the bumbag myself..its just so high priced..for now i use a slingbag mostly.

We are going to Italy in October. My other half just purchased me a man purse, with one strap, that hangs on your belly, and said, "you like this?" I cleared my throat and told her, "thanks but no thanks!"

Also known as a fanny pack? I know people who are worldly travelers and fanny packs keep things protected, according to them.

A friend was in Rome. She had a big camera and some kind of bag. She was advised NOT to take this stuff with her. But she WANTED to. Off she goes and she is accosted by a woman who decided she was going to take her stuff from her. Friend said she fought with the woman. She hung onto her stuff and refused to let go. Eventually the thief left friend alone and didn't get her stuff.

I have heard of many people being robbed in various places in Europe. Thieves work it. Another woman was standing still, looking at something in her hand, similar to a wallet, that included her passport, money, identification. Thief ran up, knocked into her, grabbed her stuff and ran while this young woman stood there with her mouth hanging open.

Daughter has traveled to many places around the world. She has taken photos of all of her essential documents and emailed them to herself, so that no matter what happened, she could access her documents.

This is the new norm. Many places are not providing shopping bags, or if they do, you pay for them. I can tell you that there are more manly reusable bags if that matters. I have a bag similar to yours that was gifted to me.
Oklahoma still gives us bags. Plastic is easier to reuse than paper. I have collected plenty of my own bags over the years.

I do like some of those ideas, but in a foreign country, those little nylon bags look pretty easy to cut and run off. I still have my gun toting fanny pack, which is pretty versatile, but since i wear purse shorts (cargo shorts) the only thing i won't have room for are my sunglasses. I use to shove my sunglasses into Mama's purse, but she no longer carrys a big purse for lightness, but honestly, i think this is just to stop me from using her as my pack mule. I can't really blame her.

I use a sling pack very similar to this one when I travel. It is very flat and light, and if you are wearing a jacket no one can tell you have it on. Makes it very convenient going through security. Nothing is in my pockets. Everything goes in the pack. I am very conscious of security when I am traveling, and I would double that if I was going to Italy.

My wife had her wallet stolen when we were in New York. We spent half a day in a Police Station filing a report which she had to use to get through Security on the trip home. A royal PITA.

https://www.amazon.com/TOLOG-Anti-T...711838644&sprefix=Sling+packs,aps,111&sr=8-66

This is the new norm. Many places are not providing shopping bags, or if they do, you pay for them. I can tell you that there are more manly reusable bags if that matters. I have a bag similar to yours that was gifted to me.
This is the nonstop march of the enviro-nazis:mad:.
If you are old, you remember when there was only paper shopping bags...
Then they screamed: "You're killin' all the trees!gaah", so everything went to plastic.
Then they screamed: "You're polluting all the oceans!gaah".

...Just wait until they find a reason that you can't use your reusable bags, because you know it's coming:(.

You know, you just made our day. I showed this to mama, and she will order two of them, for both of us!
Thank you!

Glad I could help. If you look closely at the picture there is a pocket near the top (you can see the snap) that is perfect for boarding passes. FYI sometimes the airlines will count that as a carry-on. I have had them tell me I have to store it, and sometimes they get pissy about you having something around your neck during takeoff. I usually have room in my backpack if they say something.

This is the nonstop march of the enviro-nazis:mad:.
If you are old, you remember when there was only paper shopping bags...
Then they screamed: "You're killin' all the trees!gaah", so everything went to plastic.
Then they screamed: "You're polluting all the oceans!gaah".

...Just wait until they find a reason that you can't use your reusable bags, because you know it's coming:(.
They are already saying they are unsanitary.

It is a shopping bag Sourdough. It is no less manly than one you get for free at a store. If you're worried about it grab one of your backpacks. I’ve seen many an old sourdough trudging around any downtown Alaska with a backpack.

I do like some of those ideas, but in a foreign country, those little nylon bags look pretty easy to cut and run off. I still have my gun toting fanny pack, which is pretty versatile, but since i wear purse shorts (cargo shorts) the only thing i won't have room for are my sunglasses. I use to shove my sunglasses into Mama's purse, but she no longer carrys a big purse for lightness, but honestly, i think this is just to stop me from using her as my pack mule. I can't really blame her.
Take a look at Travelsmith.com I’ve used several of their slash proof bags when traveling and going to school in Manhattan

Travelsmith bags

Pacsafe is another brand that has very good antitheft products. I believe the fabric and the straps have steel cords woven into the product making it very difficult to slash and grab.

Looks like a canvas grocery bag to me....you lost nothing my friend.
That's a great idea for use at self checkouts with small light plastic bags. I'll be buying a couple of 'em.

Now if you you all wanna talk about a man-purse... this is my style:
1711847019983.png

Mine isn't loaded-up that much with tools, just the basics and plenty of room for my lunch, munchies and a couple 12oz drinks..

Last edited:
Any bag with a sling that technically hangs around your neck is a bad idea. The motorcycle snatch and grab is bad news. Fanny packs, pockets, wallets, any of the standard stuff, are not suitable for anything of value.

Pretty much need to gorilla tape anything important to your chest where you will certainly lose your man card when they try to rip it off.

Nothing but a throw away bag with some mugging money, lip balm, wet wipe type stuff should be on the outside of your clothing and nothing obvious should be under it.

All important documents should not be on your person when ever feasible and not left in your hotel room safe or hidden in your hotel room. Crooks know all the hidey holes. A good hotel will have proper lock boxes in a locked room behind reception.

Was it gold, silver had sequins?

Actually, it was a shiny black Satan (wait, not the devil, but the silky looking black) with black rope looking pull cords. It emasculated me!
While I was in the hospital for my stroke the doc said it would be a walker or wheelchair from here on out. On the way home the wife stopped at a drug store and bought me a walker. A PINK WALKER! If nothing else I was inspired to get to my cane in record time. Now I don’t use the cane very often. OMG a pink walker.

Latest posts

Back