Love them wild birds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coot and egret

1 coot.jpg
1 egret.jpg

We always referred to the coot as mud hen.

Someone mentioned a peewee. I saw a Phoebe bird, is that the same thing?
Why does it seem like crows travel in groups of 3? Is it siblings, parents and a tot, gang members? No, it is a murder. lol

I see horned owls from time to time... beautiful birds. I found one once with a broken wing which I caught, caged and fed until he healed up. It took almost as long for me to heal. While capturing him he leaped up and latched onto my abs with one claw (I was young and had visible abs). I still have the scars. :eek:

Bullock's Oriole

The Bullock's Oriole is perched on a shrub called Mahonia - Oregon Grape - it’s a shrub commonly used in landscaping. It surrounds my local VA hospital.

It's in the Berberidaceae family. Medicinally speaking it’s one of the "Berberines" a group of plants that are great medicine for upper respiratory issues, it kills "Helicobacter pylori" which many doctors say causes stomach ulcers. It’s great for the entire digestive tract, also helpful with UTI's.

Sadly, the Berberines have been bad mouthed by big pharma for decades, innuendo to outright lies yet never a single study to prove they are harmful, probably because they are such versatile and powerful medicines.

A falcon I believe.. Jim

The fuzzy grey/green lichen sticking out from the limbs of the tree (sort of looks like fuzzy grey worms)... It's Usnea, a wonderful antiviral and antibiotic, great for upper respiratory issues and fantastic for UTI's.

A common practice from pioneer days... cover a wound with moss. This was reflected in lots of western movies... "Put some moss on that wound"... It was used but it wasn't moss. It was a lichen named Usnea.

The Bullock's Oriole is perched on a shrub called Mahonia - Oregon Grape
Down here it is commonly called desert holly and grows wild in the higher desert areas. The flowers are small and bright yellow. I have eaten a lot of the ripe red berries. Very tasty. I was always planning on making some jelly out of them but somehow I never seemed to get enough into the bucket.

Down here it is commonly called desert holly and grows wild in the higher desert areas. The flowers are small and bright yellow. I have eaten a lot of the ripe red berries. Very tasty. I was always planning on making some jelly out of them but somehow I never seemed to get enough into the bucket.

There are 60+ species in the Mahonia genus, they vary in medicinal strengh and quality. Mahonia aquifolium is the species commonly used in herbal medicine.

@phideaux are those American birds? I've never seen them in my bird books. Do they have a more common name?
I see, they hang out in northern Central America, Mexico, and SW U.S.
All birds pictured in this thread so far, are all US residents. My pics were all taken by me.

Latest posts

Back