Lye from charcoal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is lye even necessary for soap to be effective? the reason I ask this is that Coconut oil is an excellent hand cleaner for removing mechanic type grease/ dirt, where as soap kind of only takes part of it off, the need for something to soften the water so that it makes dirt soluble, I get, but sometimes humans just tend to do what they have always done just 'cause that':dunno:s what they have always done

Is lye even necessary for soap to be effective? the reason I ask this is that Coconut oil is an excellent hand cleaner for removing mechanic type grease/ dirt, where as soap kind of only takes part of it off, the need for something to soften the water so that it makes dirt soluble, I get, but sometimes humans just tend to do what they have always done just 'cause that':dunno:s what they have always done
Didn't the Romans rub themselves wirh oil then scape it off?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z38w2hv
Ben

we have a shrub,that is referred to as soap berry here,I don't think it is the buffalo berry as in the article, but it could be, when you crush the berries they make a lather, but it is best rinsed off with warm water. Probably any fat will act as a cleaner.

Latest posts

Back