Macaroni and Cheese Recipes, Not from a box

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Mac and cheese is not something that I make very often, but I want to take some to a potluck on Sunday. I have a bunch of shredded cheese that I need to get used up and wondered if any of you have a tried and true recipe that you have used. In the past, I have often used Velveeta and probably got a recipe from the box. That is not my intention nor need now.

Being a mac&cheese lover😍, I can only add this:
If you are using 'real cheese' (like cheddar, longhorn, or hoop cheese) instead of Velveeta (which is technically a 'cheese food product'), toss in a splash of milk to help spread it out and keep it from clumping. It may have to go back on the stove eye while stirring for a couple minutes to get it all melted.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and you have created fantastic M&C!😀
Longhorn:
7ff5cc3b8bc3771fd40bdf81114fdcf4_large.png

Hoop:
yellow-cheddar-cheese-red-wax.jpg

Last edited:
Use a 9 x 12 glass baking pan, pyrex thing. Oil the bottom and sides or spray. Cook a one lb box of elbow macaroni, drain. Make a white sauce in a sauce pan....melt a stick of butter, add 1/2 c flour, whisk it. Add 2 cups of milk. Whisk it till it thickens, and pepper it. Grate a pound of colby jack cheese. Toast two pieces of bread.
Now put it together: some macaroni in the pan, some cheese, sprinkle a bit of garlic salt and a bit of dried onion, some of the whitesauce. Then repeat with another layer. Top layer should be cheese, bits of broken up toast, and a half a stick of butter in pieces.
Bake it about 375 for maybe 20 minutes till the cheese is all melted.

My recipe is almost the same as AmishHrt. But i use 1/4 c flour and hot pepper cheese. Once the flour and butter are added, Mix up and slowly add 2 c milk. Bring to boil. Turn off burner and add your cheese. Stir until melted. i use way more cheese than it calls for. And I do mix pepperjack and sharp But favor more pepperjack. dump into buttered dish bake at 375 for at least 25 mins. Depending on how crunchy you like the top. Summer time I add chopped up tomatoes

And if you do it right, every fork-full will have strings of cheese going back down to the plate, like this:

B8E559A5-A10F-4FB8-820B-F324CB071805-scaled.jpeg

This is what it was that we fell in love with, before they made it "quick" for lazy people. 🤨
You do not get this in some box.

Last edited:
Use a 9 x 12 glass baking pan, pyrex thing. Oil the bottom and sides or spray. Cook a one lb box of elbow macaroni, drain. Make a white sauce in a sauce pan....melt a stick of butter, add 1/2 c flour, whisk it. Add 2 cups of milk. Whisk it till it thickens, and pepper it. Grate a pound of colby jack cheese. Toast two pieces of bread.
Now put it together: some macaroni in the pan, some cheese, sprinkle a bit of garlic salt and a bit of dried onion, some of the whitesauce. Then repeat with another layer. Top layer should be cheese, bits of broken up toast, and a half a stick of butter in pieces.
Bake it about 375 for maybe 20 minutes till the cheese is all melted.
What is interesting about this is that every time I have made mac and cheese from scratch, I always add the cheese to the white sauce, mix it with the cooked macaroni, and put it in the baking dish. I don't know what recipe I have used in the past, but probably on a box or bag. Then I sprinkle more cheese on top. The amounts of butter and flour are important because when making a roux, the fat and flour are in equal amounts.

Yep. I don't like the cheese mixed with the white sauce. Comes out better separate. And I make scalloped potatoes in a similar manner.
We make scalloped potatoes very differently then. I don't make a white sauce. I add some sliced raw potatoes to a greased casserole dish, add some chopped onions, some butter and flour. Then I make a few more layers in the same way. When I am finished with all the layers, I pour cream in. I know that some people use half and half or just milk and maybe I have in the past. What amazes me is how many people have never had or made scalloped potatoes.

A mac and cheese trick my wife found out years ago is to not use the pre-shredded cheese but use cheese shredded off a block. When they shred and package it, the manufacturer adds corn starch to prevent the cheese from sticking together. Because of the corn starch, it makes the cheese sauce grainy whereas the shredded cheese from a block incorporates better.

My wife has become quite adept at making mac and cheese in her Instapot and although it isn't quite as good as the baked version, it is still pretty good.

This is something that I will try as an experiment sometime. I will not use 1% milk. I only use whole milk, or cream. I do think that some of the powdered cheese that Caribou mentioned could be used in this instead of shredded cheese.

mug of mac and cheese.JPG

Last edited:
Trivia... Canada eats more ..Kraft Dinner... (boxed mac and cheese) than anywhere in the world..

I used to make 2 boxes at once.. Add extra butter, and extra cheese powder.. Once in a while this plus sliced hot dogs, shredded cheese and baked a bit into a casserole.. Still crave it occasionally..

This post is about recipes for mac and cheese, but I just saw this survey, evaluating 6 fast food mac and cheese choices. There was a girl at VBS who was all about mac and cheese and talked about it a lot! Her choice for the best mac and cheese is Chic-fil-A.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/best-fast-food-mac-and-cheese/?utm_term=200158&utm_medium=browser_notification&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=dishes & beverages,author: kristina vänni,macaroni & cheese,pasta dishes
Panera's and KFC's were gross looking!!😮

Panera's and KFC's were gross looking!!😮
Indeed! Noodles swimming in yellow milk:mad:.
I remember when they were listed on the menu with the other 99¢ side-orders...
Going today for $4-$6 a cup, it's easy to see why I don't eat out anymore:(.
I guess next time I do a dutch-oven full of mac&cheese, I should have armed guards standing by:rolleyes:.

Until I made mac and cheese for the pot luck a year ago, I probably hadn't eaten it for years and years. I did the low carb thing for a long time and this was definitely not allowed. I have not eaten a lot in the last year, but I have a few times. Now I am wondering if they make low carb macaroni or other pasta? When I get to it in my quest for a more organized life, I will see what I have and also look at stores for the possibilities.
What is the shelf life, in real life, not what the date is on the package?

https://www.realsimple.com/how-to-s...ntainers in,way, dry pasta lasts indefinitely.

How to Store Dry Pasta​

Tight, secure seals will prevent bugs from infesting dry pasta. Once you’ve opened the original box or container of pasta, it’s important to transfer any leftover dry pasta to a fresh, airtight storage container. Keep airtight pasta containers in a cool, dark, dry place, like a cupboard. Stored in this way, dry pasta lasts indefinitely.

https://leitesculinaria.com/313030/recipes-stovetop-mac-and-cheese.html

Stovetop Mac and Cheese​

Stovetop mac and cheese takes the ultimate comfort food and makes it even creamier and cheesier. Evaporated milk, eggs, and sharp cheddar sauce is given a glow-up with dry mustard and hot sauce so adults love it, too. All that, crowned with buttery breadcrumbs. What more could you ask for?

Prep Time25minutes mins
Cook Time15minutes mins
Total Time30minutes mins

Course: Mains
Cuisine: American
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 927

Ingredients​

FOR THE BREAD CRUMB TOPPING*​

• ▢3 slices high-quality white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
  • ▢2 tablespoons (1 oz) unsalted butter
  • ▢Table salt

FOR THE MACARONI AND CHEESE​

• ▢2 large eggs
  • ▢1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • ▢2 teaspoons table salt
  • ▢1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ▢1 teaspoon dry mustard, dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
  • ▢1/4 teaspoon store-bought or homemade hot sauce
  • ▢8 ounces elbow macaroni, about 2 cups
  • ▢4 tablespoons (2 oz) unsalted butter
  • ▢12 ounces sharp Cheddar, American, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
  • Instructions​

MAKE THE BREAD CRUMB TOPPING​

• In a food processor, pulse the bread until coarsely ground, 10 to 15 pulses.
    • In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the bread crumbs and cook, tossing to coat with the butter, until the crumbs just begin to color, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt to taste.

MAKE THE MACARONI AND CHEESE​

• In a small bowl, mix the eggs, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, mustard mixture, and hot sauce.
    • Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the macaroni and cook, according to the package instructions, until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite. Drain and return to the pan over low heat. Add the butter and toss to melt.
    • Pour the egg mixture over the buttered noodles along with three-quarters of the cheese, and stir until thoroughly combined and the cheese starts to melt.
    • Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and the remaining cheese, stirring constantly, until the mixture is hot and creamy, 5 to 6 minutes.
    • Serve immediately and sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs. This is best enjoyed immediately after making.

Notes​

*What can I use instead of bread crumb topping on my mac & cheese?

If you're in a hurry or prefer to sprinkle the dish with crumbled crackers (saltines aren't bad), you can skip the bread-crumb step.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1portion | Calories: 927kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 256mg | Sodium: 1942mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g

Latest posts

Back