Making Buckskins

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faez

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I tanned many deer, elk, goat, and cowhides. My best tan was using sulfuric acid. I used wood ashes for loosening the hair and helping loosen the fat and membrane that must be removed. Preparing the hide for the tanning solution is the hard part. I made a scraper using an old plane blade mounted on an ax handle. It takes a lot of time, muscle, and patience. Once the hide is tanned, then rubbing it out soft is long and hard work and to achieve this it is worth repeating that the preparation before tanning is paramount to a good final result.

The brain tan is not a real tan and the hides won't hold up like a sulfuric acid tan. I had weevils get into my hides that were brain tanned. I have no idea how they got into the hides that were stored in an inside dry closet.

Here are some letters written in homemade green ink from my friend Buckskin Bill, his real name Sylvan Hart. There is a book about him that is worth reading. He mined his own copper and made his own utensils. He made his muzzleloader and knives from scratch. He achieved self-sufficiency to a level thought impossible during the 40s through the 70s. The book about him is called, The Last Of The Mountain Men by Harold Peterson.

9780684139616-us.jpg

BB 1.jpg

I have not mastered the art of tanning hides, and your description of the process is why! I have very little patience or love of tedious work. That is my biggest downfall.

Interesting book. I am going to look for a copy. I love those types of stories.

During my 'trucking daze' I went to a gun show in Springfield, MO, and some hand there was selling buckskins... they were the most beautifully-tanned buckskins I've ever seen in my life. Beaded too, but not to excess, and the leather was so supple yet strong... I guess the guy had been making buckskins for decades. I would've liked to buy a set (pants & top or jacket), but they were pricey, which I understood because there's work involved in making 'em. This would've been in the late '90s or so, never saw a better buckskin outfit in my life... the leather was somewhat lighter in color too, dunno if that was due to the process this hand used. 🤔

Latest posts

Back