Making sour cream & yogurt from commercial bought

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last night hunny and I went grocery shopping and bought both these item. While I was making beef stroganoff for dinner I got to thinking about keeping this sour cream going because it is cultured and then that led me to wondering about the yogurt too. Anyway, I took out a couple mason jars. For the yogurt I used one cup to three parts whole milk. The sour cream is also about a 1 to 3 ratio but out in a smaller pint sized jar. Planning on leaving out overnight and seeing what happens. This is how I keep cultured buttermilk going but has anyone tried these other two items?

My mother has a yogurt maker. It requires a low temperature "cook" or rather a specific temperature range for proper yogurt growth.

Yes they both had live xultures. I ended up putting them back in the fridge after I had gotten home yesterday after work. This morning I tasted them and the flavors of both are there, but neither one really thickened up like the originals. They won't be a total loss and I will use them in cooking something. Hunny and I will have to be taking a road trip this weekend and we'll be eating on the road. I think the "yogurt" & "sour cream" with powdered sugar and vanilla will make a good dipping sauce for fresh fruit. I have cantaloupe, honeydew and a silver something melons out in the garden.

Latest posts

Back