Marinated bacon?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So by now you know I make bacon out of the packs of ham trimmings Walmart sells, I was noticing they had briskets in plastic bags marinating in tomato juice and spices, if I use this mix to marinate in, is it still bacon, or is it all in the preparation and spices? Bacon with the tomato already in it might be the bomb!

I slipped a couple of the bigger chunks into a bit of V8 juice, then I had an epiphany!
All these spices we use, most of then leech their flavors into alcohol so why not put a basic mix into some Everclear and put it in a nice, clean hand spray for touch up seasoning? the alcohol will evaporate as you cook and tenderizes meat anyway. first to try is red pepper/garlic and oregano. I might be onto something here!

I wonder why I gave up on chemistry? oh yeah, the ATF and local bronze looking for a meth lab.

Agree..... Try it... Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
I'm going to guess it would go best in soup, stew type recipes where the bacon would be an extra kick..
BE SURE... to post results of any experiments with recipes...

I'm on the lookout for some actual maple syrup or maple-flavored liquid smoke next trip out, if it's not maple, it ain't bacon! Aunt Jemima was reasonably close but you had to sprinkle a bit of brown sugar in when it grilled to be just right! I have 5 lbs of trimmings in the box right now I'm going to use my best recipe on and another pound for a test grill.
Dukes BBQ sauce makes a decent bacon, but it's too spicy, godlike on pulled pork though!

Bacon is really in the smoking of the meat. Marinate, then cold smoke, then slice and fry. I will say that typically acidic marinades are usually only good for 1 round since that’s what tenderizes it.
Hubby’s best bacon so far is just garlic salt then cold smoke and yum!

I'm on the lookout for some actual maple syrup or maple-flavored liquid smoke
= = =
I have not found maple flavored liquid smoke... But have used a maple flavored product much like course brown sugar.... This worked well for me..

When I made homemade bacon I sliced boneless pork loin to slab bacon size that would fit in Tupper Ware marinate size containers.. Rub and marinate with bacon cure... Smoke in the Bradley smoker to 170F internal... Slice thick...

Latest posts

Back