Metabolic syndrome. The REAL pandemic

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmOR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
There is a movement. But it's one of those things to affect people in rural areas last. And the propaganda campaign is worldwide. I recently watched a documentary about South Africa trying to prosecute a doctor for helping his patients. Because he had the audacity to diverge from the standard high carb low fat diet!

The miracle of sharing information on the internet gave me confidence to diverge. It wasn't easy because, you know I value my personal health very high, and virtually every health professional was advising against the true path. That motus operandi is upside down!

There's different statistics to this, but perform your own observations? Next time at Wally World, over half the people are grossly overweight. No doubt diabetic or according to a mere line on a graph "pre-diabetes".

My mothers side of the family? 100% diabetic. " your screwed. It's hereditary "
"The he'll you say!"

Now I have data to prove that I followed the true path. Reversed diabetes. Reversed fatty liver disease. Reversed high cholesterol. In three months. Diverging from doing what I always did: avoiding fat, eat carbs habitually and exercise like a mad man! "you need to do more of the same!" Is what my doctor advised.

There's a hellova lot of things I profess ignorance to, but one enduring truth that has served me well "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what youve always got"

Just to know that if you're doctor is giving you the wrong advice? It's not uncommon given metabolic health. The society of metabolic health was formed to help people with this problem. Rural area will be the last to benefit from this movement.

I once saw a room full of liver specimens at a major university. Each liver in it’s little jar. These samples went back to the 1870’s by year. I no longer remember the exact details but… some of the highlights... The remarkable and astonishing thing was the changes in color over time.

A doctor was giving me this tour. He pointed out the changes in the color of livers over time coincided with changes to the american diet. Specifically changes in how foods were processed and their proliferation.

The first big change occurred in the years leading up to ww1. Yes, good ole cambell soup was perfected and mass produced beginning about 1900. Soup and dozens of other canned foods began appearing on store shelves.

The next noticeable change occurred during ww1 and then again during the depression. There were large booms in foods from a can being consumed by the public.

The single biggest change I saw was in the 1950’s into the early 60’s. Frozen dinners anyone? Good ole prepackaged freeze dried foods!!! They were around since about 1900 but weren’t widely consumed until after ww2. During the war freeze dried items from blood plasma to penicillin were widely used, and became accepted by the population.

In the 50s-60s, freeze drying began to be viewed as a multi-purpose tool for both pharmaceuticals and food processing. net...

My opinion, much of the illness seen today is directly related to the processed foods we consume. What to do about it… stop consuming processed foods, period! Eat naturally and seasonally.

I have CFS, a new modern illness with no known cause. Funny, when the symptoms are looked at as a whole they mimic someone being slowly poisoned. I feel a lot better when I eat naturally. But life happens, get stuck in town… have to eat processed foods. Afterwards I always feel like crap for hours.

If our diets change the color of the organ that processes junk from our bodies... what other damage are they doing? imho

Added note… I’m not speaking to the act of canning or freeze drying, we can do those things at home. I’m speaking to the entire process that takes place in large factories. Ie, soup I can at home isn't pumped through factory pipes … But at the factory? Is their process really safe? or just expedient? Would they lie?

Who had heard of type 2 diabetes 100yrs ago? What’s different with our foods now compared to then?

Last edited:
Look at what many Americans eat: unhealthy processed cr@p that's just no good for 'em. I was in my 20s when I learned about "enzyme nutrition" and the benefit of eating raw foods... particularly fruits & vegetables. I also learned about "food combination" to enhance nutrition, and I studied "food pyramid" charts to determine just how much of each food group I needed. Then I tweaked all those numbers and ratios to fit my own personal lifestyle... in those years, I was highly active and I could eat much more than I do nowadays. ;)

Americans can't eat all that processed junk or greasy & starchy fast food cr@p every day without packing on the pounds, hence the "obesity epidemic"---makes me wonder if cannibals would find that meat unwholesome, and lean toward healthier meat sources, lol. Sure, I still eat an occasional fast food burger & fries, but not very often... I'd sooner make my own burgers on the grill at home, and bake home-style wedge fries with taters in the toaster oven. Much healthier without all that funky cr@p the fast food outlets use... ugh. 😒

Special cases & illnesses aside, I think an active person's overall health is determined by what he or she eats 90% of the time... which leaves a 10% margin for error (i.e. junk food, pizza, snacks, taco stand, whatever). As long as that person eats plenty of good nutritious meals prepared at home, factoring in all kinds of fresh fruits & veggies whenever possible, then that person's health will likely be good. I also drink plenty of fresh juice, including fresh carrot juice, one of my favorite cleansers. Every morning starts with a swig of some sort of fruit juice or smoothie, to be followed in a while by herbal tea. 🙄

I'm a big fan of reading labels at the store too... if more Americans did this, they wouldn't WANT the products that some companies sling. So many products & processed foods have hidden sugars, fats, sodium, whatever, until you read the label and see what is in there. Salad dressing is the perfect example: so many dressings are just loaded with fats, yet there are healthier choices on the store shelf. All a person has to do is read the labels and get a clue... and yeah, I still eat some rich salad dressing on occasion, but NOT every day. Same goes for chips, cookies, candy, soda, etc. Moderation works best for me when it comes to junk food... 😬

The saddest part of this whole "obesity epidemic" is that Americans then turn to Big Pharma for "help" with all the related ailments & illnesses brought on by their bad eating habits... like doubling down on the worst possible cr@p, lol. Dang, the fast food & processed junk was bad enough, but now their systems get treated to Big Pharma cr@p which ONLY makes things worse. It's like a "double whammy" on the system, no wonder so many folks are in bad health. There is a direct correlation between your health and what you eat... no two ways about it. And I'm not perfect, I still make bad choices... I just make 'em less frequently, lol. 😎

P.S. Anybody who wants to learn more about enzyme nutrition can read THE HIPPOCRATES DIET by Ann Wigmore, that's a great book for those who want to make serious & beneficial changes to their diet. 🤔

Last edited:
As a type 1 diabetic, this is a subject near to my heart. And I fully recognize that I myself have unhealthy habits. I have recognized a few things about American eating:

1- We eat way too much! It doesn't matter if it's healthy or not. When more goes into the top hole than what comes out of the bottom hole, we gain weight. The fact that so much is processed, fatty, carb loaded crap just exacerbates the problem.

2- Hardly anyone knows anything about their food as it relates to their health. I recently had a type 2 diabetic tell me it was fine for him to eat a peanut butter sandwich dripping with honey because "honey is natural sugar, so it doesn't have carbs in it". Dude, really? Learn about your food.

3- Type 2 diabetes is about 2 things, eating less and better and moving more. A T2 person may not ever get off Metformin or whatever, but the effects of the disease can be minimized by lifestyle changes. It takes a lot of effort and will to change though, and that seems to piss people off.

As a Type 1, there's nothing that I can do to fix my situation. My own immune system has attacked and destroyed the parts of my pancreas that produce insulin and no type of diet or natural remedy can help. But I can eat better to help me control my blood glucose levels and use less insulin. Portion control, nutrition knowledge, and making informed food choices all play into that...

Lost my nephew last year, mid-30s. Cause of death, diabetes. Never mind that the meds and/or the thing he used to administer it was of a questionable reputation. Drinking alcohol was a big problem. Highly intelligent. What a devastating loss. Paternal grandfather diabetic. My late husband was diagnosed diabetic in the last couple of years of his life. He was not overweight.

Lost my nephew last year, mid-30s. Cause of death, diabetes. Never mind that the meds and/or the thing he used to administer it was of a questionable reputation. Drinking alcohol was a big problem. Highly intelligent. What a devastating loss. Paternal grandfather diabetic. My late husband was diagnosed diabetic in the last couple of years of his life. He was not overweight.
Was your nephew type 1 or type 2? Mid 30s is quite young, either way. I'm curious about the meds and the "thing" used to administer them.

Both of my parents were diabetics. My dad died due to complications from being a diabetic. I am very picky about what I eat. One of the reasons I started growing a lot of my own food. I am all for getting a treat now and then, but I do not bring soda or junk food into the house if I want it, I get a serving of it when I go to town once every other week when I do my stocking up.

We lost my cousin who was in his forties a couple of years ago. He was type 1 and had to suffer a couple of surgeries where they started cutting off his toes and moving up his foot before he succumbed to covid.

It's for our family, friends, brothers and sisters that we all need to bring this to light?

There's so many comments on YouTube videos with low carb benefits that the individual affidavits are overwhelming! I view affidavits as MORE significant than manipulated "scientific" case studies? Science has been hijacked!

We are back in the dark ages where science is being used for superstition and the truth of the Renaissance is being suppressed with big money and corrupt corporations and politicians!

Sorry for the passion? But lives. My life! Depends on the lesser known truth?

I never knew how much Loved carbs until we broke up. I am not fully making good choices all the time. It really is a daily battle of making better choices for me.
It really does feel like that, doesn't it? Recently I was forced to limit my carb intake due to a paperwork error on my prescription. I had to stretch my insulin supply for 4 extra days and went to a 50-60 carb per day intake. I had forgotten how much of a mental struggle it is to eat like that. However, I had some serious motivation to do it - not dying is a pretty good motivator. The result was that my BG levels were super stable. I was seriously impressed. I couldn't keep it up when I got back home and got my prescription refilled though. I like to eat, dammit! And as a Type 1, I can eat anything so long as I know how many carbs are in it. I just have to be able to properly dose for that amount. But, I've been lax about letting the daily total creep up higher than I want. It's time for more restraint...

When I was growing up, we ate a ton of potatoes and bread, and not all that much meat. That was typical German diet. Nobody was fat and the only younger people that had diabetes where people that got the type 1 early as kids. We had a relative like that. He only lived to around 30. My ancestors were all pretty much German peasants that ate lots of potatoes and bread, with some pork sausage thrown in.
I still eat a lot of carbs and not all that much meat. I don't have diabetes and am not that much overweight. I was not overweight at all before I reached menopause and had that accident.
So I do not believe you can blame carbs. I think people just eat too many calories or any kind, and too much processed food. That's imo the real problem. Soda, donuts, processed junk
Too much meat clogs your arteries and can cause kidney problems because of all the protein

Was your nephew type 1 or type 2? Mid 30s is quite young, either way. I'm curious about the meds and the "thing" used to administer them.
type 1. I'm not pressing harder today for specifics...but the pump was a big problem and he was always having problems with it. M*e+d=t*r-o+N.i=c
In the news, I saw an article this week about that company recalling their pumps, but don't recall which models or where I saw the article. Specifically because of it causing permanent damage and death.

The newer insulin pumps can do amazing things. There is now "closed loop" systems, where the pump can communicate to a continuous glucose monitor. The monitor reads blood glucose levels every 5 minutes, and the pump can administer more or less insulin automatically to match the readings. However, any failure in the system can be quite dangerous. It is, after all, a device, and no device is foolproof. I have refused to use one because I can't afford any failures while I'm at remote worksites.

That is more an issue for Type 1s though, and doesn't apply as much to the metabolic problems we're talking about here.

Look at any "food pyramid" chart and the high-protein foods are usually at the top: meats, nuts, etc. Since these foods are concentrated & high in protein, lesser amounts are needed in any diet. Then there's the whole science of food combination: not only for optimal nutrition, but to avoid combining acids & protein, acids & starch, acids & fats, etc. The problem is that so many tasty dishes have these exact combos... lasagna, any meat burrito with hot peppers, tomato, cheese, guacamole & sour cream, the list is long and these are foods that many people like, myself included. But at the very least, I add a small green salad to such meals to help offset the bad combos, lol. Also, with any red pasta sauce that is already highly-acidic due to the processed tomato sauce, I like to go with less processed sauce and throw some fresh tomato in there too, and I only cook the sauce as long as necessary... the longer you cook pasta sauce, the higher the concentration of acid. Knowing these things helps me to reduce the acid content and lessen the likelihood of indigestion. 😳

Many folks don't realize that by eating and then engaging in physical activity, they set up a conflict within their system: blood goes to the stomach to aid in digestion, but the body also wants blood circulating during physical activity. Hence the cramps or other physical discomfort... and the reason why folks wanna sit on the couch and let their meal digest, or the reason why they skip a meal prior to heavy exertion, so as not to "bog down" their system. The problem in America is that too many people eat whatever they want, then park themselves on the couch and rarely engage in physical activity, lol. There should be a balance between physical activity and food consumption... this is the reason why so many older folks eat less as they age, they're just not as active as they were in their youth. If you eat the same way you did in your 20s & 30s but do NOT remain as active, then you're gonna gain weight, plain and simple. I see it myself: my own metabolism has slowed down with age, and I can no longer eat huge meals without gaining weight. 😬

So what do I do? Sometimes, when I know I'm gonna eat a big ol' holiday dinner or whatever later in the day, I'll skip breakfast and just have juice or a fruit smoothie. I LIKE holiday dinners, and I LIKE piggin' out with good home-cooked meals, but I'll try to offset the heavier meal by going easy or going without before or after that meal, yeah? Also, I'll enlist the aid of enzymes to help digest foods: for example, pineapple chunks or slices go well with ham because pineapples have an enzyme called bromelain which helps tenderize meats, and helps the human body to break down and assimilate such foods. Papaya has an enzyme called papain which is also used to tenderize meats, though it is more useful in breaking down proteins... the bromelain in pineapple is better for breaking down lipids or fats. Using these natural enzymes to aid your digestion is a good way to go, they make it easier for your body to assimilate certain foods. Again, knowing these things can help you make better nutritional choices. Kombucha drinks are great for gut health too, lol... 😀

Remember the days of "carbo loading" when athletes (football players in particular) would eat large pasta dinners the night before a game, thereby packing on a few pounds in reserve which they could then "draw from" during the game or other sporting event? Maybe they still do it now, lol... but back in the day, Coach Greene would tell us about this technique, and he was one of the fittest guys I ever knew, strack unto death, lol. Good man, Coach Greene, a positive role model for youth in those days. He knew his own metabolism well enough to apply these helpful little tips, and they worked. Once a person knows his or her metabolism well enough, that person can use these tips or techniques I've mentioned to aid digestion, boost bodily reserves for future activities, the whole nine yards. Personally, I think folks should NOT rely on ObamaCare quacks for information pertaining to the human body & metabolism---far better to learn about your own body, and who knows it better? I don't trust ObamaCare quacks or Big Pharma douchebags... they don't have my best interests in mind. 😒

ENOUGH SAID, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, SO FAR IT HAS WORKED PRETTY WELL FOR ME, LOL... 😎

Both of my parents were diabetics. My dad died due to complications from being a diabetic. I am very picky about what I eat. One of the reasons I started growing a lot of my own food. I am all for getting a treat now and then, but I do not bring soda or junk food into the house if I want it, I get a serving of it when I go to town once every other week when I do my stocking up.

That's a good plan, never bringing it home. I know if there is something here at home that's naughty, we'll eat at it until it's gone, can't help it. But once it's gone, we're just fine without another naughty. I sometimes try to make some "less naughty" treats (low-carb / sugar free) which were great when we were trying to kick some bad habits, but I don't do a whole lot of that anymore, either. The sugar that comes home is for the hummingbirds! :)

One of the hardest is when someone comes to visit and just "has" to bring naughty stuff as a gift. We hate throwing food away so it usually gets eaten. I know, we should just throw it out. Easier said than done.

We have some diabetics in the family and a predisposition towards T2. Those who don't do anything other than the standard American diet usually are T2. Those who are more careful about avoiding the heavy carbs and sugars do a whole lot better. I'm doin' pretty good myself but it's not effortless. I seriously never got over some of those cravings despite avoiding certain foods for years. I don't think I've had a Mountain Dew in close to a decade but if you sat one down in front of me and poured it over some ice, it would be a SERIOUS temptation, and I'd want a large amount of it. I'm not gonna buy it, ever, even when I'm out somewhere, I'm just not gonna. I know what it is. Yeah, it's delicious but it's totally not worth it.

I had a teacher when I was a kid. He was a smoker early in his life and gave it up. He said that he struggled with that desire for a cigarette every single day, for like 30 years. Other people I've known have quit and said that after a few weeks, the desire was gone and they might even find the smell of spoke repelling. It's interesting how different people are.

We've met the enemy. The enemy is insulin.

There's an awful lot of confusion around this simplification? That is by design from the propaganda industrial complex! They want everyone spinning around and not knowing what to do. "Have some comfort food. You'll feel better!"

Insulin is sneaky. It rises without you knowing. They don't even test for it with a standard blood test. The school of economics teaches how bankruptcy happens: "gradually, then suddenly!". It's the same for insulin.

Slowly and gradually rising your insulin makes your system insulin resistant. Things start to break down. Your liver. Your pancreas. Your arteries. " you need more insulin! ". The doctors prescribe foreign substances to increase insulin production. They treat the symptoms. In the background, gradually, the root problem grows. " MORE INSULIN! "

"I'm giving her all she's got Captain! The dylithium crystals can't take much more of this!" Then, the sudden burst! You're full blown diabetic! According to a line on a graph. If you keep doing what you've always done? Things just get worse.

Donuts or health? Don't go bankrupt by stubbornly doing what feels good?

Yup.

Another one that gets me... "All things in moderation." Um, no. One could paraphrase that to say, "All of your favorite poisons in moderation." Insanity. If it's poison, stop it. If it is poison to you, stop it.

There are variation in people. What some can get away with, others really cannot. In the veg world, there are some who really have to be careful about the oxolates. Some have to be very careful about soy. Or peanuts. Or strawberries. Or a host of other things that individual people have issues with. You don't take someone with a serious peanut allergy and say, "just a few peanuts in moderation". And yet I hear similar things tossed about as "good dietary advice".

I'm not someone who thinks everyone has to be on the exact same diet. But seriously, there is an awful lot of misinformation out there disguised as authoritative sources.

(Sorry, probably preachin' to the choir. ;) )

We've met the enemy. The enemy is insulin.

There's an awful lot of confusion around this simplification? That is by design from the propaganda industrial complex! They want everyone spinning around and not knowing what to do. "Have some comfort food. You'll feel better!"

Insulin is sneaky. It rises without you knowing. They don't even test for it with a standard blood test. The school of economics teaches how bankruptcy happens: "gradually, then suddenly!". It's the same for insulin.

Slowly and gradually rising your insulin makes your system insulin resistant. Things start to break down. Your liver. Your pancreas. Your arteries. " you need more insulin! ". The doctors prescribe foreign substances to increase insulin production. They treat the symptoms. In the background, gradually, the root problem grows. " MORE INSULIN! "

"I'm giving her all she's got Captain! The dylithium crystals can't take much more of this!" Then, the sudden burst! You're full blown diabetic! According to a line on a graph. If you keep doing what you've always done? Things just get worse.

The enemy isn't insulin. You die without insulin. The "enemy" is what is causing insulin resistance. If you attack those problems, insulin resistance becomes less of an issue. So, what causes insulin resistance? Hint: it's not insulin itself that causes it.

Probably the #1 cause is genetic. Type 2 diabetes tends to run in families. Yet there is also a Nature vs Nurture aspect here too. Those who have learned an unhealthy lifestyle from their parents, grandparents, etc will tend to carry on that lifestyle. Neither nature vs nurture can be considered totally to blame.

Lack of activity is huge. Exercise, however you define it, is like a key that opens up the cells to the action of insulin. It actually decreases insulin resistance. As a type 1 diabetic, I can see this very clearly in my own case. I put known quantities of insulin into my system, and I see the effects. For example, last summer at work, I was swinging a sledgehammer and doing heavy labor for 8 to 10 hours a day. I had to cut way back on the amounts of insulin I bolused into my body, and sometimes had to greatly increase my carbohydrate intake, just to keep my blood glucose levels from dropping below a safe threshold.

Food also is huge. Don't eat crap, and don't eat so much. Many Type 2s can simply change the way they eat, and by eating healthy and losing weight they may be able to get off T2 meds. Or, it may require more exercise. Some may never be able to get off meds. Each case is individual. However you will find very few people who are active, with a healthy diet and weight, that develop T2. It does happen, though. My pops is 5'10, 155 pounds, and has never weighed over 165 in his 88 years of life. He eats lots of carbs, but in what would be considered healthy food. About the time he turned 80 they told him he was pre-diabetic. He still is to this day. But he's not changing anything and has not improved or gotten worse. It just is what it is.

Food also is huge. Don't eat crap, and don't eat so much. Many Type 2s can simply change the way they eat, and by eating healthy and losing weight they may be able to get off T2 meds. Or, it may require more exercise. Some may never be able to get off meds. Each case is individual. However you will find very few people who are active, with a healthy diet and weight, that develop T2. It does happen, though. My pops is 5'10, 155 pounds, and has never weighed over 165 in his 88 years of life. He eats lots of carbs, but in what would be considered healthy food. About the time he turned 80 they told him he was pre-diabetic. He still is to this day. But he's not changing anything and has not improved or gotten worse. It just is what it is.
A majority of people in this country have become 'food-addicts'. :(
Watch TV (like me) and you will see that 2/3rds of the commercials are about something to stick in your mouth.
They know how to pull the strings on their junkies:mad:
My dr. was very frank with me and said: "Type 2 is a fat-person's disease; keep your weight under control and it isn't a problem".
...And if your dad has made it to 88, he has crossed the finish-line, and they should give him a pass.:waiting:

There's a reason for that... eating satisfies us on more than one level. Let's say you just lost your job, your girlfriend kicked ya to the curb, your dog done died, etc.---well, you can still EAT, lol. And derive satisfaction or even pleasure from it... and to heck with the mean ol' world! I recall a drawing which featured a hippo with its mouth wide open, and the caption read: "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS... EAT!!!" ;)

And for some, this old geezer probably included, eating may indeed be the last great pleasure we have... toss in a globalist-sponsored famine and that may be even truer than we think, lol. I can just envision a shady old school "drug dealer" with a trenchcoat, but instead of drugs the guy will be slingin' snacks, lol. "PSSSSST!!! HEY, KID, YOU WANNA BUY A CANDY BAR? THEY'RE ONLY $50!!!" :oops:

The enemy isn't insulin.
I get what you're saying. Insulin is one of the body's tools for keeping sugar levels in your blood well regulated. Huge spikes and extended elevations beyond that normal range do damage. That's typical of what happens when people are abusing themselves with stuff they shouldn't be eatin' and drinkin'. But yeah, some people are better able to handle garbage than others. Some people seem to get away with it while some just can't.

If you can get people to think about the problem. Talk about it. Ponder it. They will begin to drill down below the veneer. Keep drilling?

I like to watch a couple of old television programs: Star Trek and Gunsmoke. Old series made before the eighties have very few fat people. Something happened in the eighties that changed society? The rise of corn and soy. Stay with me...

The miracle of roundup and gmo made farming profitable. More than ever? They could eliminate most all competition for the desired plants. Perfect fields of mono crop! And watch the yields explode! What do we do with all this extra "bumper" crop every year?

Let's put it in everything. Make sugar outta it. Feed it to animals. Feed it to cars!

The genetic blame game? Hard to explain that before 1980. And once again I am living proof to dispose that notion. 100% of my mothers side are diabetic. I was too three months ago. But today, my numbers are "normal". You can't beat your DNA? Really?

Food is more powerful than medicine. And better for you too!

100% of my mothers side are diabetic. I was too three months ago. But today, my numbers are "normal".

Awesome!!

And you're right, what we do with what we have is often way more important than the cards we're dealt. There are limits but I suspect few ever find them.

Though no one liked to talk about it, there were / are quite a few in our family that were / are diabetic. Predispositions (DNA?) seem to make it easier to fall into. I'd probably be there if I had continued with previous eating ideas and was headed in that direction. I'm thankful to have had some MAJOR turnarounds in life that changed a whole bunch of things, including a very radical change in my way of eating.

All this diabetic talk brings up the fact that you can walk into a wal mart phamacy and buy insulin and hypodermics for cash across the counter. A simpler form of insulin and not the great slow release stuff we normaly use but a years supply is a years supply.
My wife got type one at 70 years old....triggered by the covid virus. Turns out it is very rare but a virus can trigger diabetes.
We also now have some healthy food freeze dried and stored for the coming hard times.

And you're right, what we do with what we have is often way more important than the cards we're dealt.....I'd probably be there if I had continued with previous eating ideas and was headed in that direction. I'm thankful to have had some MAJOR turnarounds in life that changed a whole bunch of things, including a very radical change in my way of eating.
Bingo!
It's not all in your DNA, but it's also in your upbringing.
We had the phrase: "Always clean your plate! :thumbs:" drilled into our heads when we were growing up. Hard habit to break.
BTW, it's probably illegal to call anyone "fat" today, but just watch them.
They are sticking something to eat or drink in their mouth every 15 minutes they are awake.... And just watch how much they eat in a meal.:oops:
When your body cannot rinse out the excess calories that you do not use, blood sugar goes up and it tries to store it as fat. When your fat storage is full, your body has nowhere to put it....Then guess what happens.

Last edited:
All this diabetic talk brings up the fact that you can walk into a wal mart phamacy and buy insulin and hypodermics for cash across the counter. A simpler form of insulin and not the great slow release stuff we normaly use but a years supply is a years supply.
My wife got type one at 70 years old....triggered by the covid virus. Turns out it is very rare but a virus can trigger diabetes.
We also now have some healthy food freeze dried and stored for the coming hard times.
That Walmart insulin is absolute garbage. The best that can be said for it is that it might keep you from dying. But it might kill you too. I was on it from '88 to 2003. I had so many hypoglycemic episodes it's a wonder that I don't have permanent brain damage from it. "R" insulin is too slow to begun working, and then it has way too sharp of a peak. "N" insulin has way too much of a peak to be effective as a basal, long lasting insulin. Both of them are a desperation last resort. Modern bolus insulin works much faster, beginning its action in 5 to 15 minutes, with a more controllable peak action. Modern basal insulin has a much flatter peak and maintains its effectiveness for 21 to 24 hours instead of 10 to 12 hours for N. R and N are not a realistic option for having a good quality of life, and have been obsolete since the late 90s...

Any other solutions for some real insulin that is available without perscription? We use the good stuff but have a hard time getting any extra. I guess I should try spending $4k on the good stuff.....better than dying.
If I were laying in a SHTF stockpile, it would probably be R and N, and a supply of literature on how to use it. Insulin has a shelf life, and will degrade over time. It also must be kept refrigerated for long term storage. Manufacturer's warnings are that it will degrade after 28 days at room temp. In reality, it will last a little longer before starting to lose effectiveness. It will degrade if it gets too hot - don't use any that has been left in the car in the summer. It's generally OK if it's in your pocket on a hot summer day though. It degrades if frozen.

The reason I'd stock Walmart insulin is that it's the only kind available w/o a prescription, and it's the only one that's cost effective. It doesn't work that well and you would ABSOLUTELY need a huge supply of glucose testing strips and meters. R an N are too unpredictable to just wing it. But it can keep a diabetic alive until SHTF is over...

Latest posts

Back