Milk Cows

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday the oldest son came over and brought his 2 yr old. :) I so enjoyed my time with her! We went out to Clara Bella's pen for her to meet. I was sitting kneeled down with little one sitting on my lap when Clarabelle came behind me to rest her head on top of my head. Little One turned around to look with her eye brows down. . . I thought that was just too funny.

Today was the first day that I let her out of her pen to just run around. She had so much fun! Had to check out the goats but mainly spent her time out front where we have Kay and her calf that was born back at the end of May. Momma and calf came running over! Just too funny when momma was talking to her. The calfs look a lot alike in coloring. Had to tell momma this was my calf and it was ok.

I did half way worry about getting her back into her pen. Hunny said I should put her lead on but I knew she was going to be running and kicking. . . It wouldn't have stayed on. I let her run and explore for about an hour. Asked hunny to keep an eye on her while I went to make up a bottle. That is what lured her back in with no problem. :)

Danil54grl, when I see your online name I automatically think "Danigirl" which just so happens to be the name of the Brown Swiss cow I bought about 6 weeks ago. Every day with her I struggle not to give on to the feeling I've bitten off more than I can chew. Danigirl is a 19 month old, 4 months pregnant confirmed by ultrasound. She was ai'd with sexed semen from a polled jersey bull for a heifer calf. She probably weighs right around 1200 pounds but she thinks she's a 20 pound puppy. She bounces around always wanting to play and she's not at all careful about slinging her weight around. I cannot go into the pasture with her for fear she will hurt me with her ridiculous antics. Fortunately her prior owner had already worked extensively with her on stanchion training and I just finished building her stanchion, milking parlor and run in so I can begin working with her. I am anxious for any advice on how to calm this girl down other than just waiting for her to have this baby.

Attachments

• received_3693498460703015~2.jpeg
    received_3693498460703015~2.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201102_143636.jpg
    IMG_20201102_143636.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201103_161435.jpg
    IMG_20201103_161435.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
Clara is now a little over 3 months old. In this pic I had just let her out of her pen to run around for awhile. You can see how wet we have been by the mud on her. . . She needs a bath but its been rather too cold for that right now. She made a run over to the garden to eat on the couple sugar canes that popped up.

This morning I took her on her walk with the halter. She knows when it is on she has to do what I say. She did get spooked today from a bird making noises in an oak tree while we walked by but she just bucks up a little but doesn't really pull. She wants to stop and I will stroke on her neck and talk to her softly and she calms down. We normally go check out the "big" cows where the bulls hang out then up to where our mamas and calves are, circling the garden and seeing mamas a couple times.

This evening when I let her run she normally hangs out with the mamas up front and following me around. When I got in the golf cart to go feed the goats she wanted to run beside me. . . She is just my sweetheart. . . . 😍 😍 It's just funny when she spots me and runs up at a full gallop putting on her "brakes" at the last minute.

Danil54grl, when I see your online name I automatically think "Danigirl" which just so happens to be the name of the Brown Swiss cow I bought about 6 weeks ago. Every day with her I struggle not to give on to the feeling I've bitten off more than I can chew. Danigirl is a 19 month old, 4 months pregnant confirmed by ultrasound. She was ai'd with sexed semen from a polled jersey bull for a heifer calf. She probably weighs right around 1200 pounds but she thinks she's a 20 pound puppy. She bounces around always wanting to play and she's not at all careful about slinging her weight around. I cannot go into the pasture with her for fear she will hurt me with her ridiculous antics. Fortunately her prior owner had already worked extensively with her on stanchion training and I just finished building her stanchion, milking parlor and run in so I can begin working with her. I am anxious for any advice on how to calm this girl down other than just waiting for her to have this baby.
@QuietH3art Oh how I wish I could give you some answers. Even after having this baby she may not settle down. We have pretty much been around all of our since day one, except for Betsey Lou, my first milk cow. She was originally at a dairy and then we bought her from a man who used her as a nurse cow. She was basically trained when we got her and we only dealt with a few days of having to "retrain" her to how we wanted to do things here for milking.

She is a pretty girl. . . reminds me of my Betsey Lou.

Clara is now a little over 3 months old. In this pic I had just let her out of her pen to run around for awhile. You can see how wet we have been by the mud on her. . . She needs a bath but its been rather too cold for that right now. She made a run over to the garden to eat on the couple sugar canes that popped up.

This morning I took her on her walk with the halter. She knows when it is on she has to do what I say. She did get spooked today from a bird making noises in an oak tree while we walked by but she just bucks up a little but doesn't really pull. She wants to stop and I will stroke on her neck and talk to her softly and she calms down. We normally go check out the "big" cows where the bulls hang out then up to where our mamas and calves are, circling the garden and seeing mamas a couple times.

This evening when I let her run she normally hangs out with the mamas up front and following me around. When I got in the golf cart to go feed the goats she wanted to run beside me. . . She is just my sweetheart. . . . 😍 😍 It's just funny when she spots me and runs up at a full gallop putting on her "brakes" at the last minute.

AWWW! How sweet she runs along with you! 😍😍😍

Hunny has been hard at work today fixing up my milk parlor by replacing all the rotten wood on the staunch and hanging lights. He had already fixed the leaky roof.

Clara and I walk thru the milk parlor and up on the staunch a little less than a dozen times. I really wanted to get her used to this while she was still young so this will now become a part of our everyday walk. She was very hesitant the first couple times going up the ramp and needed coaxing to go thru. By the end she was going right up following me. Once she starts eating more grain, think that will be where I feed her, may just take her in there to bottle feed before I take her back o her little area. During the day I put her in he front goat pasture do she has room to play along side the other two calved. At evening feeding I take her back to her area so a little stop passing the milk parlor is no big deal.

Right now Clara belle looks forwards to her walks. . . when I went out this afternoon to get my coat out of my truck she moo'ed at me. . . Sorry, it was just too cold and drizzly all day. She now loads up into the milking staunch with no problems and yesterday I actually left her in there while I closed everything up. Next step is going to be introducing the sound of the vacuum pump but that wont happen till she is older. Only problem we have now is if she sees an open gate she thinks she can go out, which is why I have to stand guard when hunny takes out a new bale of hay. Usually it is at feeding time so I just pour in their feed which distracts them. . . There is 5 in the front pasture that my Clara Belle is in. . . 2 Momma's and 2 babies besides mine.

A cow gives milk when she is pregnant
1. Naturally: Bull inseminator
2. Artificially - technologies when spermatozoa are injected into the uterus of a cow

After 6 months, the Cow gives birth to a calf ...
This calf is growing for 6 months.
The male is slaughtered
The female is raised

So...
Only a pregnant cow gives milk

And all men are bad.
Dot.

A cow gives milk when she is pregnant
1. Naturally: Bull inseminator
2. Artificially - technologies when spermatozoa are injected into the uterus of a cow

This calf is growing for 6 months.
The male is slaughtered
The female is raised

So...
Only a pregnant cow gives milk

And all men are bad.
Dot.
6 months, really? Seems like my cattle take 9 months to give birth. And a 6 month old calf is is barely weaned and is no way near ready to butcher. I butcher my steers at about 18 months.

Are you sure its six months mate. Where i come from cows carry for 9. And there is something called "caryover" which goes up to 3 weeks after 9 months are full.

6 months, really? Seems like my cattle take 9 months to give birth. And a 6 month old calf is is barely weaned and is no way near ready to butcher. I butcher my steers at about 18 months.
Soviet calves, cows and bulls had to fulfill the Plan adopted according to the General Plan of the USSR ...
As well as chickens, ducks and geese.
And the goats .. 😀

Damned capitalists even know how to exploit calves ... :)
Joke.
In fact, if you need to get meat from the farm, not milk, then you need to feed a calf for 1-1.5 years.
Americans eat a lot of beef.
In Russia, a cow is a source of milk, therefore, in a village, a calf is slaughtered as early as possible. So that the cow becomes pregnant again.

Deleted because....
Moderator is Wolf but not Goat.
He deleted more intrrsting wordds

Russians have 2 rules
1. If you are dissatisfied with life, then repaint the refrigerator in black ...
You will understand that this is bad.
Then repaint the refrigerator white, then work and enjoy life.

2. Don't argue with women. You have to listen to the woman ...
And then do the opposite.

I like your pink tractor. I am speaking quite seriously.

Latest posts

Back