Mini Survival Kit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I saw this on You Tube and thought it was interesting. It was better than the grab-and-go kit I had in my car, so I made a new one. It turned out pretty well. I didn't have to buy anything. I have a stash of extra supplies. I have a man purse I wasn't using so I made a nice little car kit. Good addition.

The pocket kits I have built, I chose to pack into Pelican Micro cases.

Pocket Survival Kit.jpg

I have previously found that items carried everyday in soft bags tend to get degraded by constant squashing and abrasion. The hard cases have kept the contents in better condition much longer. They also keep the items dry during brief submersion.
That 1040 micro case is about six inches long and fits in a cargo pant pocket.

I have carried the one in the image all over the world.

Contents list:
Fresnel lens
Plastic bags
Fishing gear, hooks, lures, floats, line
Trace/snare wire
Prince pocket torch burner
Solder
Ferrocerium rod
Magnesium rod
Pencil
5 Minute epoxy sachets
Fred can opener spoon combo
Micro hacksaw
Survival cards (spear points/heads, saws, hooks, jags), Scalpel blades
Alcohol swabs, bandaids, antibiotics
compass
water sterilization tabs
glucose tabs, stock cubes
whistle
cord
Signal mirror
Safety pins, rings, screws, eyelets
Sewing kit
Steristrips

The other gear usually on me is:
Multitool (Leatherman Charge TTI) - with driver bit kit
"Rescue Me" Personal Locator Beacon
Sawyer mini
Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II

Last edited:
The pocket kits I have built, I chose to pack into Pelican Micro cases.

View attachment 109560

I have previously found that items carried everyday in soft bags tend to get degraded by constant squashing and abrasion. The hard cases have kept the contents in better condition much longer. They also keep the items dry during brief submersion.
That sized micro case fits in a cargo pant pocket.

I have carried the one in the image all over the world.
please put it all out to see whats in it.

I have a small Maxpedition bag that I carry with me.
It has a lot of stuff and I supplement that with a small backpack for the other stuff.
I need to dump everything out and see if I need to make any additions or deletions.
We are taking trips in out travel trailer and I don't want to get caught away from it without what we might need.
We won't be doing any long distant hikes because we are not able but it's good to be prepared even for short walks.
A really important thing for me is my boots.
I have an ankle that is prone to turning. I turned it last week walking into the Dollar Tree when I stepped on an uneven sidewalk. I'm too old to be hitting the ground.

I found these years ago, ‘Survivor Dry Box’. They have a rubber seal in the lid and a cheap compass on the outside. I wouldn’t call them water proof but they will stand up to rain or a quick dunk, tested them.

I use them as kits within kits. This one has spendable cash, magnifiers the size of business cards, magnesium fire starter, arkansas stone, few med supplies and a deck of cards.

I keep it inside a larger more stationary box or can move it to a backpack temporarily. Great for keeping in a vehicle too. I have several of these, easy to mix or match for certain destinations or leave things behind. Don’t have to reorganize gear for a temporary change, just swap a few small boxes.

Anyone remember a site, cheaper than dirt? They had these boxes in the early 00’s, maybe $10. I was shooting a lot. I’d add these dry boxes onto ammo orders to get free shipping. (they had good ammo prices back then, heard they are bad now)

I do like the pelican boxes, thanks for the tip.

20230603_205937a.jpg
20230603_205954sm.jpg

Last edited:
Small kits that I keep in my pocket I have made using Altoids tins. These are "last ditch" kits meant for when you are hiking, set you pack with gear down for a rest, then fall into the river and get swept downstream. That little Altoids tin kit in your pocket may be all you have.

Larger kits - like you would find in my pack that I was separated from when I got swept downstream :confused: - I make out of wide mouth quart Nalgene water bottles. Totally waterproof. They float even when full of gear. And once you dump the contents out they become your emergency water container. They make metal cups that nest perfectly on the bottom of these quart Nalgene bottles so that gives you a container to boil water in. Many packs have side pockets that are (intentionally) the perfect size to hold a quart Nalgene bottle. And the bottles are cheap: 32oz Wide Mouth Ultralite Bottle - Nalgene®

Latest posts

Back