Missing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If reading about people who have gone missing is a trigger for you, don't read the links.

Our family loves the outdoors and loves going hiking. Some are a little more free and easy with it (over-nighters, week-long or more, with no tents) and others of us are day hikers. The national and state parks, national grasslands, forests, and swamps have lots of beautiful scenery, creatures, and plants.

I can't say it will not happen to me.
One of our sons went out to a national park he had never been to before with an experienced friend who also had never been there before, and underestimated the time it would take to hike from point a to point b, not get lost, camp overnight, and hike back to point a, without getting lost. He overestimated the sincerity of anyone else who may have been hiking at any time. He trusted the park service to have accurate signs.
Someone changed and/or removed signs pointing to directions for this path or that path, lookout, etc. between the time they went past signs and went back.
Later, the park ranger agreed that it happens. My son and his friend were 4-6 hours late for rendezvous and pick-up, but thank God they made it out alive. True story.

I found this article recently:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace

and mentioned it to someone who then referred me to this website: (warning: this link has lots of might be true, might not be true stories and accounts, embellished with PLENTY of foul language. That is the reason for the "yes I am 18" click here button. If you can wade through the carpy language, maybe you'll remember a story or two of your own when you were out in the woods) read on...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

Edited to add: start at Part 1!!!

Had the sign thing happen to me and my husband-then boyfriend at Bandera state park back in the early 90's. Fortunately we were on horseback and hubbys mare ALWAYS knew the way back to her feed bucket. We trusted her to get us back and she didn't fail us. Park ranger said that was the second time that week the signs had been removed.

Signs? The only signs I ever saw were the signs at the trail head. We used maps and compass to get to where we were going. When you are going into the wilderness areas there are no signs. There were a few times that the trails had been washed out but we always found the other side of the washout. The most fun was when the trail crossed a deep ravine with a river at the bottom. It was usually just a tree across the gorge and we had to walk it with full packs.

Okay, so the links and the stories are not about misplaced or wrong signs.
It is mostly about scary happenings in the national parks and forests. Like I said, some of the stories sound pretty convincing and true, others not so much.
Don't you guys have any scary stories to share?
This is my scary story. When I was about 13, two friends and I were in a wooded area near small mountains, goofing around, trying not to be scared. It was very dark, no moon, late October, about 30 degrees.
I think we had some matches and were lighting sticks and trying to stay warm. Dumb kids. We were near the dirt road and had about a 200 foot walk to the road, the house was across the road and down about 100 feet.
We heard a noise. Great. You know, "did you hear that? where did it come from? what was it?" etc. We were trembling, from cold and fear, we huddled together and started walking up the path to the road.
Friend 1 said "I'm done!" and took off up the path, I was hot on her heels and Friend 2 was close behind me. I stopped when I got to the top of the path because I could hear something in the woods rustling around ahead of me across the road. It stopped.
Friend 1 had reached the lane to the house and had gone in through the gate. Friend 2 nearly ran into me. We stood listening. Then this screaming from hell erupted right in front of us and we didn't see a thing and we could hear it running down the dirt lane in the direction we needed to go. Another different brief scream came from the direction the other had come from and we heard it run past us, but we couldn't see a thing. We felt a breeze with both as they had passed.
Dear Lord. Save me now. We ran down the lane to the house. We were lucky the guard dog wasn't out because he didn't know me and Friend 2. End of story.
Oh, that was just foxes, people told us later. Then why did we see NOTHING? Why did it sound like running human feet on a dirt road? Okay, doesn't matter what it was, sure scared the fun out of that excursion. Wait, that was fun, right?

The area I used to live in lost 9 people every year, probably to drowning. People would say, "they gone missing." They would leave the village for another or to go hunting and would never return. The most likely scenario is that they fell through the ice and the river current swept them downstream under the ice.

The area I used to live in lost 9 people every year, probably to drowning. People would say, "they gone missing." They would leave the village for another or to go hunting and would never return. The most likely scenario is that they fell through the ice and the river current swept them downstream under the ice.
That is very sad.

I have a cousin who went on a road trip just after he graduated HS. The police found his car 2,000 miles away from home with his backpack and all his gear left in his car. It's been over 25 yrs and still nobody knows what happened. His name is Daniel, and his car was found by the police in Ca.

When I lived in Alaska, years ago, i'd drive to abandoned hunting cabins to stay the weekend. This was something common for teens to do since we lived in a small community. One weekend, I drove to a remote cabin that was recommend by my Dad. The next morning when i woke up, there was a couple feet of fresh snow on the ground, and my truck was missing. I had to walk for miles until i got to the main drag to catch a ride home. A few days later the police found my truck 40 miles from that cabin. It was disturbing, and i still don't know who took my truck.

That is so sad, tiffanysgallery. I'm sorry he's still unaccounted for.

Did you ever go to the remote hunting cabins alone again? You're alone out in the wilderness and nothing else to hear but silence. I guess it was easy enough to coast the truck along before starting it but dang! A few different scenarios play out in my mind on that, but somebody trying to pull a joke is not one of them.

One of my SIL's best friend 32 y.o. son went missing couple days ago along with his truck. It is on the News in Atlanta today. Wife said he went to get them all breakfast at restaurant and never returned. Poor man is worried sick and of course wife is too. Hope they find him soon.

That is so sad, tiffanysgallery. I'm sorry he's still unaccounted for.

Did you ever go to the remote hunting cabins alone again? You're alone out in the wilderness and nothing else to hear but silence. I guess it was easy enough to coast the truck along before starting it but dang! A few different scenarios play out in my mind on that, but somebody trying to pull a joke is not one of them.
Thank you Patchouli. I appreciate your kind words.
:flower:
The fresh snow covered any foot prints and truck tracks, which i found interesting. I, like everyone else in our small community, would just leave the keys in our vehicles. And you're prob right, someone or two, had to coast a bit.
My Dad was pretty upset about the truck disappearing while i was out there alone. My adventurous days were kinda limited after that. It was really cool while it lasted.

Meerkat: That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that and will pray for your SIL's BF's son and his parents. Can't imagine the agony they must be going through.

So, when I said share your scary stories, I wasn't expecting stories that included your own family members missing, people you know who's family members have gone missing, and other tragic things.
That's a whole 'nother situation there.

Why is it happening so frequently?
Be safe and try to travel in pairs when possible.

Last edited:
The fresh snow covered any foot prints and truck tracks, which i found interesting. I, like everyone else in our small community, would just leave the keys in our vehicles. And you're prob right, someone or two, had to coast a bit.
My Dad was pretty upset about the truck disappearing while i was out there alone. My adventurous days were kinda limited after that. It was really cool while it lasted.
Now that i think about it a little more... can't be sure i left the keys in that truck or not... it was a long time ago, lol.
:angie:

Meerkat: That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that and will pray for your SIL's BF's son and his parents. Can't imagine the agony they must be going through.

So, when I said share your scary stories, I wasn't expecting stories that included your own family members missing, people you know who's family members have gone missing, and other tragic things.
That's a whole 'nother situation there.

Why is it happening so frequently?
Be safe and try to travel in pairs when possible.

Thanks Patch, I don't know if I met the son but we do know the father and he is such a nice man. I hope they find him too. Yes travel in pairs when possible. hubby went to store today to pick up trolling motor and I worry till he gets home. always tell peopel you love them too.

Missing people is a topic that has always been fascinating to me. Unsolved Mysteries was a show I loved to watch, when it was about missing people.

I expect that many people who disappear in forested mountain areas and are never found have been killed and dragged off by mountain lions. There can also be other animal attacks, as well as falls off the edge of trails. It is also possible that people can be kidnapped, but mountainous areas are not as likely places for that to happen, but it could.

One of the best threads I ever found about scary stuff in the outdoors I found on Survivalist boards. It is not all about missing people, but more about scary things that have happened to people when they were in the outdoors. It took me a week to read all of the posts. It has been years since I read that thread, but such incredible things have happened to people. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest

Missing people is a topic that has always been fascinating to me. Unsolved Mysteries was a show I loved to watch, when it was about missing people.

I expect that many people who disappear in forested mountain areas and are never found have been killed and dragged off by mountain lions. There can also be other animal attacks, as well as falls off the edge of trails. It is also possible that people can be kidnapped, but mountainous areas are not as likely places for that to happen, but it could.

One of the best threads I ever found about scary stuff in the outdoors I found on Survivalist boards. It is not all about missing people, but more about scary things that have happened to people when they were in the outdoors. It took me a week to read all of the posts. It has been years since I read that thread, but such incredible things have happened to people. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest

I too like to read those stories about MIA people. Did you believe the one about the man taken up into the alien space ship?
Many people disappear and never seen again. It could be for all kinds of reasons like wild animals or just plain lost and die from exposure. My daughter has been real busy with her 2 daughters so not talked much in last 2 weeks about sil. Will ask next time.

I too like to read those stories about MIA people. Did you believe the one about the man taken up into the alien space ship?
Many people disappear and never seen again. It could be for all kinds of reasons like wild animals or just plain lost and die from exposure. My daughter has been real busy with her 2 daughters so not talked much in last 2 weeks about sil. Will ask next time.
I had two cousins who were out by Oahe Dam outside of Pierre, SD who claim to have had an experience with a space ship. These two, young men at the time, were extremely intelligent and came from a good family, so not likely to make this kind of stuff up. Since I have not had an experience, who am I to doubt anyone else's? It is the same with seeing Sasquatch, Big foot, or whatever you want to call it. There are stories, but as one of my cousins said, no remains have ever been found of one. I do believe in Bigfoot and I do believe in aliens. There are many people who do not believe, unless or until they have an experience.

I had two cousins who were out by Oahe Dam outside of Pierre, SD who claim to have had an experience with a space ship. These two, young men at the time, were extremely intelligent and came from a good family, so not likely to make this kind of stuff up. Since I have not had an experience, who am I to doubt anyone else's? It is the same with seeing Sasquatch, Big foot, or whatever you want to call it. There are stories, but as one of my cousins said, no remains have ever been found of one. I do believe in Bigfoot and I do believe in aliens. There are many people who do not believe, unless or until they have an experience.

Me too Weedy. We;d have to be really vain to think we'er the only ones here. And surly ain't the brightest bulbs in the universe. :eyeballs:
Maybe since Big Foot and company have seen us in action :waiting: they make sure they cover their tracts and bury their dead so we don't get suspicious?:dunno::D

I first heard about Johnny Gosch on Unsolved Mysteries. Due to his mother's persistence, there is a lot of information out there about his case.

http://www.johnnygosch.com/

There is a documentary made about his disappearance.

This podcast is 49 minutes long about his case. Good thing I forgot to add the link. This is not the podcast that I listened to a few years ago.

From what I can tell, when someone goes missing, such as Johnny Gosch, there are mentally ill people in the world, outside of his family and circle who become obsessed and harass the family and interfere with the case.

Last edited:
I first heard about Johnny Gosch on Unsolved Mysteries. Due to his mother's persistence, there is a lot of information out there about his case.

http://www.johnnygosch.com/

There is a documentary made about his disappearance.

This podcast is 49 minutes long about his case. Good thing I forgot to add the link. This is not the podcast that I listened to a few years ago.

From what I can tell, when someone goes missing, such as Johnny Gosch, there are mentally ill people in the world, outside of his family and circle who become obsessed and harass the family and interfere with the case.

I'll check him out.

There are lots of videos on the subject this is one. Very interesting start at 6:26 into video to hear some really scary stuff.

Last edited:
how absolutely heart wrenching. horrible horrible horrible
I believe that many children, but not all, who are kidnapped are put into the same situation, used in child sex trade. I'd bet that the billionaire who was recently arrested for charges against children could spill the beans on many people. One thing that I heard Mrs. Gosch say one time was that since they were aware that Johnny was used this way, she said that Americans would know many of the people who were involved in the child sex trade. Remember Pizzagate?

I was listening to the evening news and I saw a father talking in front of a podium about his missing daughter. When he was done speaking, he turned around, walked into his house and closed the door. I knew right then and there that he knew what had happened to his daughter. He did, but he never told where she was. Her body has never been found.

• Missing Since11/14/2005
  • Missing FromAurora, Colorado
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth11/30/1998 (20)
  • Age6 years old
  • Height and Weight4'0, 60 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA white sweater, a gray hooded sweatshirt that zipped up the front, pink sweatpants, white sneakers and a pink rubber hair band.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Aarone's hair was in a ponytail when she was last seen. Her top right canine tooth is missing.
http://charleyproject.org/case/aarone-thompson

Details of Disappearance
Aarone reportedly resided in the 16500 block of east Kepner Place, near the corner of south Buckley Road and east Mississippi Avenue, in Aurora, Colorado in November 2005. She lived with her father, Aaron Thompson; his girlfriend, Shely Mary Lowe (also known as Shelley Marie Lowe), who was pregnant; Aarone's older brother, Aaron Thompson Jr.; Shely's teenage brother, Rajon Russell; and Shely's five children, Andrew Lowe, Tamara Lowe, Kadezshia Smith, Eric Williams Jr., and Kaila Williams.

The children in the family ranged from five to fifteen years in age. Photographs of Aaron and Shely are posted with this case summary.

On November 14, 2005, Aaron notified authorities that Aarone had disappeared. He said she got into an argument with Shely over a cookie and ran away from home between 12:30 and 1:30 p.m. She has never been heard from again.

Police investigators noted Aaron and Shely did not appear distressed over Aarone's disappearance, although temperatures outside were below freezing and it was snowing, and neither of them had any suggestions as to where the child might be. Shely was upset, but only because the police were questioning the other children.

Between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m., while officers were still searching the neighborhood for the child, Aaron said he was tired and wanted to go to bed. He consented to a formal interview at police headquarters afterwards, but fell asleep on the stairs in his house between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. Both Aaron and Shely ceased cooperating with authorities the next day.

Aarone's mother, Lynette Thompson, lived in Detroit, Michigan when her daughter disappeared. She has not seen the child since October 2001 and is not considered a suspect in her disappearance. Within a day of Aarone's disappearance, Lynette gave media interviews stating she disbelieved Aaron's story and believed Aarone met with foul play.

Lynette stated that Aarone and her brother had been born in Michigan. Aaron and the children moved to Colorado in 2001. Lynette was supposed to go with them, but she had to be hospitalized, so she stayed behind. After she recovered, she planned to join them in their new home, but Aaron called her and told her not to come. After that he refused to tell her where he and their children were living. Lynette admitted she struggled with drug addiction in the past, but says she is clean now.

Three days after Aarone disappeared, investigators announced they did not believe she disappeared on November 14. They theorized that instead, Aarone had been murdered inside her home and had been dead for some time before her disappearance was reported, perhaps as long as a year and a half.

The Thompson/Lowe children were all taken into protective custody, as was Shely's baby daughter after she was born. Authorities cited abuse, neglect and poor living conditions as the reasons. Aaron and Shely were allowed supervised visitation only.

The first time the Thompson/Lowe children were interviewed, they supported their parents' story that Aarone ran away. They told investigators what her favorite food and color was, and said she had dressed up as a witch for Halloween. After they were taken into foster care, however, the children recanted their statements. They said Shely had told them to lie and they had not actually seen Aarone in over a year. Rajon Russell, who had moved into the home in August 2004, said he had never seen her.

Both Aaron and Shely were named as persons of interest in Aarone's disappearance and presumed death, and their home was designated a crime scene. Police stated they refused to take lie detector tests. Investigators interviewed over 450 people, searched the Thompson home, and dug up the yard. False identification cards, including driver's licenses, were found in the home, but there was no evidence as to Aarone's whereabouts.

Investigators stated that no "credible" person claimed to have seen Aarone for a year and a half and that the other children in her family were told to lie to cover up her disappearance.

Interestingly, Aarone was reported missing just hours after a social worker visited the home. The family had been receiving a housing subsidy from a charitable organization and the social worker was supposed to determine if they were still eligible. She spent 45 to 60 minutes in the home and inspected every room, but did not see Aarone anywhere.

Aarone's name was not listed on the paperwork for the home, but neither was the name of her older brother. The next day, Shely called the social worker and tried to convince her she had seen Aarone, but the social worker refused to change her previous statement.

Aarone had never attended any school in the Aurora area or been registered as a home-schooled student. Shely reportedly told one individual that she had been unable to register Aarone at school because the child's birth certificate and immunization records had been lost, but it was later determined that Aarone's father and stepmother did in fact have a birth certificate for her.

She last received medical attention in May 2002, when she was treated for an abscessed tooth at Aurora South Hospital. When her father reported her missing he said she was seven years old, but she would have actually been six. The picture he provided was from the summer of 2002; he said the family had no more recent photographs.

Weeks before Aarone was reported missing, Aaron requested that a non-profit foundation help provide Christmas presents for his children. He did not list Aarone on the application form. There was also no toothbrush and no mattress in the house for Aarone. Aaron and Shely said she slept with Shely's daughter Kaila, but Kaila denied it and none of Aarone's DNA could be found on the bedding.

Shely's former boyfriend, Eric Williams Sr., told police that Shely told him Aarone stopped breathing in the bathtub. Shely then attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but was unable to revive the child. She denied being responsible for Aarone's death and stated the girl had simply died suddenly and no one had done anything to cause her death.

Shely allegedly stated she and Aaron had concealed Aarone's death and buried her body in a field far away because the child had been abused and had a suspicious scar on her body as a result, and Shely was afraid the other children would be removed from the home. Williams says Shely was crying and hysterical while she told him the story.

Shely's friend Tabitha Graves had a similar account. She said in the summer or fall of 2004, Shely was riding in the car with her when she suddenly said Aarone had died in her sleep months before. She said she and Aaron decided not to call 911 after they discovered the body, and Aaron took the body away in his Ford Expedition and came back a long time later without it.

Graves stated Shely was extremely upset while she was talking about it and was shaking and crying so hard she was having trouble breathing. Shely told her she did not report Aarone's death because she was worried the other children in the home would be taken away. She said she was trying to come up with a good explanation for Aarone's disappearance.

After Shely told her this story, Graves began tape-recording their telephone conversations. She later turned the tapes over the police. In the conversations, Shely referred to Aarone in the past tense and said she would have Aaron place flowers on the child's grave. She repeatedly urged Graves not to tell the police what happened and expressed fears of going to jail and losing her children. Graves noted Shely did not like Aarone and had trouble disciplining her.

Velma Jean Belzaire, Shely's aunt, remembered a phone call she got from Shely in the summer of 2003. Shely asked her what to do if a child stops breathing, and said either she or Aaron were going to discipline his daughter and she had passed out. Belzaire advised Shely to call 911. A couple of days later, when she asked Shely about the child's condition, Shely reportedly replied, "I took care of it."

Shely and Belzaire telephoned one another almost daily, but Shely did not mention Aarone to her aunt again until November 2005, when she said Aarone was missing.

In May 2006, a grand jury was convened to investigate Aarone's disappearance. That same month, Shely died suddenly at the age of 33. The cause of death was heart disease; she had a history of heart problems and had also experienced complications from her final pregnancy. Shely maintained her innocence in Aarone's case until her death. She was never interviewed by police, as she refused to speak to them.

Aaron continued to maintain his innocence in Aarone's disappearance. In early 2007, a civil dependency and neglect jury investigating the alleged abuse of Aarone's siblings ruled that Aaron "was responsible for serious bodily injury or the death" of Aarone. A civil jury's finding cannot be admitted as evidence in a criminal case, however.

Latest posts

Back