Monarda... Sweet Leaf

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Monarda fistulosa aka lavender beebalm aka sweet leaf. Among native herbalist Monarda fistulosa is known as “Sweet Leaf”. I like that name, it describes it far better than the latin or english common name.

It was used by all Native American tribes in N. America but for one. According to the writings of Matthew Wood it is, and was, one of the 6 most important medicinal plants among all tribes for millennia. It has a very special place in the story of medicine in native tribes. It plays an important part and is still used today in the “Sun Dance” ceremonies by the Sioux and Cheyenne every summer at Pine Ridge.

Native peoples actually divide sweet leaf into 4 different species instead of the one species named by botanists. They describe subtle differences in the plants from say... one location to a random different location, the scent of the leaves and how they feel, how they taste.

I, and many others in the past, have used it for pit viper bites. Sweet Leaf has the amazing ability to move internal fever (snake bite, gun shot wounds, horrible injury) to the surface (skin) and dispel it. This speeds healing. A really high fever can kill many of our bodies chemical responses to injury, impead healing. Sweet leaf can lower that fever.

Personally, I use it often for a particular kind of exhaustion/stress headache, at the back of my skull and neck, I get a lot of those. Funny thing… the one tribe who didn’t use this plant were the Cherokee. They used Monarda didyma, Scarlet beebalm, a cousin of lavender beebalm… They are very similar but different. Example: sweet leaf is great for headaches at the back of the head. Scarlet beebalm is great for headaches at the front of the head like sinus headaches.

All mint family plants are “Nervines”. All the monarda’s are mints. They have a powerful effect on our nervous system which I can confirm. Sweet Leaf is the only known cure for “Meniere's Disease”. It’s the degeneration of inner ear nerves. A person has ringing in the ears, loss of balance, can’t walk for days at a time. My dad has it. Sweet Leaf can actually regenerate nerve growth in the inner ear. It’s done wonders for my dad. Its also great for regular tinnitus.

I’ve used this plant for medicine for about a decade now. I still feel like a beginner, still learning from it.

The best description I’ve read on this plant’s medicinal qualities is in “The Book of Herbal Wisdom” by M. Wood. It’s 18 pages of very small print… amazing, this plant is simply amazing. I put a description and photo of the book here... Herbal Medicine Books - Peanut recommends

Sometime in the last 10 days I tinctured some sweet leaf, don’t ask me which day, lol. I’ve been tincturing plants everyday for a couple of weeks now.

Edit to add... I thought I should clarify one property of sweet leaf in my post. I wrote that I use it for stress/exhaustion headaches. It’s excellent for that. However, its effect is much different than an aspirin or some pharmaceutical medication.

It’s very difficult to describe, its does more than relieve the pain. What ever was causing my stress seems less important, it’s calming and relaxing… but not like alcohol or anything like that. In some ways it's similar to adaptogens in it's effects.

It’s used the same way for the sun dance ceremonies. It’s calming, more conducive to a relaxed and peaceful experience. At least that was the way it was described to me as I’ve never been to a sun dance ceremony.

Monarda 04jun20 ( 1) sm.JPG
Monarda 04jun20 ( 5) sm.JPG
Monarda 04jun20 (11) sm.JPG
Monarda 04jun20 (14) sm.JPG

@Weedygarden @Amish Heart @Patchouli

Last edited:
Very helpful and informative, @Peanut !
I have had ringing in the ears for a few years, I don't think it's Meniere's Disease, but I would love to try this to see if I can get some relief.
The flowers of the Bee balm I've seen aren't quite as fancy looking but it's been a few years since I've seen one. Blooming this time of year, I'd better get out there and see what I can find soon.
Thanks for the wealth of information you bring to us. Very grateful when you mention an herb and it can benefit me.

@Peanut where would I be able to buy it if I can't find any to make my own tincture?
Is it applied in the ears or taken orally or rubbed on the skin around the back of the ear and on the soft spot behind the ear lobe? No?
I grow my own plants and make my own tincture. I've never tried to buy it or had reason to. The internet is my best suggestion. As for the 2nd question... take it orally or follow the instructions on the bottle you buy. Tinctures are normally taken orally unless specified.
:)

I grow my own plants and make my own tincture. I've never tried to buy it or had reason to. The internet is my best suggestion. As for the 2nd question... take it orally or follow the instructions on the bottle you buy. Tinctures are normally taken orally unless specified.
:)
Is this the plant to order? Monarda fistulosa - Wild Bergamot

I looked at Prairie Moon nurseries. They are a wholesale operation and recommended the https://www.pollennation.com for retail purchases.

Is this the plant to order? Monarda fistulosa - Wild Bergamot

I looked at Prairie Moon nurseries. They are a wholesale operation and recommended the https://www.pollennation.com for retail purchases.

This link you posted is to the species Monarda fistulosa. That is the species M. Wood is describing in the book you just bought.

I would advise staying away from common names like Wild Bergamot. The other night I found 4 websites selling seeds described as wild bergamot. The seeds were completely different species, 4 of them, only one of them was monarda fistulosa.

This is the kind of thing that happens when buying seeds and using common names. The person selling you the seeds may not know any better. Due diligence is required on your part to ensure you get the seeds you want. :)

Like I said, I've never purchased from prairie moon. I only heard they were a good company to deal with, take that with a grain of salt.

@Weedygarden, I've ordered from Prairie Moon - I'm not aware of them being a wholesale group. Here's their listing for Monarda fistulosa: Wild Bergamot

We don't have a beautiful patch like Peanut's, but we are usually blessed with quite a few in our fields. I need to collect seed this year and spread it out more. If I actually get the seed collection done this year, I'd be more than happy to share! :)

@Weedygarden, I've ordered from Prairie Moon - I'm not aware of them being a wholesale group. Here's their listing for Monarda fistulosa: Wild Bergamot

We don't have a beautiful patch like Peanut's, but we are usually blessed with quite a few in our fields. I need to collect seed this year and spread it out more. If I actually get the seed collection done this year, I'd be more than happy to share! :)
I will look to see if I can order from them again. I need to make a list of things to order and then place one order. I am busy with the yard and garden, cleaning and prepping before I do that.

I need to make a list of things to order and then place one order.
I can relate! And I always think of things at the most inopportune moments, lol. I'm getting better about whipping out my phone and adding things to Evernote when I think of them - it's helpful.

I can relate! And I always think of things at the most inopportune moments, lol. I'm getting better about whipping out my phone and adding things to Evernote when I think of them - it's helpful.
I have never used Evernote. I will look into it. What I want to do is to go through my new books and make lists from them of what I want to have growing in my yard that I can then make medicinals from. I have a lot going on with my yard and house now and will for quite a while.

The sweet leaf in my yard is just beginning to bloom. Luv this plant, been using it about 10 years and still learning what it can do. I use it often for severe stress headaches that I get, just chew a leaf, a minutes later no more headache. It does more than just relieve my headache. Suddenly what caused me stress isn't so important anymore, the world is a nicer place.

I noticed something new about the way sweet leaf looks today. The blooms that haven't opened yet have this luminous appearance that I don't see that often in wild plants. Wild Skullcap and Self Heal come to mind, both are also in the mint family. I've included a photo of Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris) at the bottom. It's in the shade and this luminous appearance seems internal. Look closely at the flower heads...

Monarda 31may21 (1)a.JPG
Monarda 31may21 (4)a.JPG
Monarda 31may21 (5)a.JPG
Monarda 31may21 (8)a.JPG
Prunela vulgaris a (15)glowa.jpg

Last edited:
I think I saw some of this at the lake last weekend. It was shorter than what is shown in @Peanut pics and had a more vibrant purplish color, but the blossoms looked identical. I asked my daughter is she knew what those weird spiky blossoms were, she said she had no clue. I actually thought it looked like some kind of weird type of clover. I'll have to stay on the lookout for these. Do they have any use for anxiety? I'm thinking it may help my daughter when she has an attack, she can get so worked up she hyperventilates sometimes...

@Spikedriver Most mints are in a class of plants called "Nervines". Yes, most have a calming effect. They also have the opposite effect for someone who's lethargic, run down etc. This can also be said of individual nerves in our body. They'll help calm an irritated nerve, say from an injury or a pinched nerve. They will have the opposite effect on a weak nerve... For instance Sweet Leaf is one of the few know plants to heal Meniere's disease. I'm speaking in general terms here, individual mints vary greatly in what they are best suited for.

Both plants I posted today are in the mint family. There is an old saying... "All mints have square stems... but not all square stemmed plants are mints".

There are many, many mints growing wild across North America. Its the first thing I check when I find a plant that's new to me... "Does it have a square stem?". Yes! 99% of the time it'll be a mint.

As it happens there are 4 species locally that have a square stem that are not mints. The first one of these I found threw me for a loop! I know them well now, they are all in the "Verbina" family and medicinal.

Then there is a weird little mint called forked blue curls that had me confused for several years... Parts of the stem is round, other parts are square. Frankly it's bizarre!!! I don't see it very often. It's said to be common west of the Rockies.

@Peanut

Have you ever seen a pure white wild Monarda? I transplanted some wild Monarda to my garden long before they bloomed, and when they finally did, I was surprised to see pure white flowers. I went back to the original place where I got them and saw that all of their brothers and sisters are blooming white as well.

It appears that I may have found some Monarda clinopodia - "White Bergamot, Basil Bee Balm"

https://uswildflowers.com/detail.php?SName=Monarda clinopodia
I already have an established patch of lavender-colored Monarda fistulosa on the other side of the herb garden.

I noticed a dramatic taste difference between the two: the leaves of the white-flowered plants have a much stronger bite to them than those from the lavender-colored ones.

I have been searching to find out how far the two have to be separated for their seeds to remain true to their parentage... any idea?

I think I remember reading that Monardas will readily cross with each other...?

Here are the white ones (poor flowers look bedraggled...it has been raining here for weeks and weeks)!

Attachments

• white wild Monarda.jpeg
    white wild Monarda.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
@Peanut

Have you ever seen a pure white wild Monarda?

I noticed a dramatic taste difference between the two: the leaves of the white-flowered plants have a much stronger bite to them than those from the lavender-colored ones.

I have been searching to find out how far the two have to be separated for their seeds to remain true to their parentage... any idea?

I think I remember reading that Monardas will readily cross with each other...?

Yep, only seen it once on a mtn top in NC. Darryl says he's seen it in Tuscaloosa Co. I've never seen it around here. Here is a crappy pic I took in NC. I knew it was a monarda when I saw it. I don't remember a medicinal use by modern herbalists.

Stronger? I'd say clinopodia is harsh as heck. I've never heard or read they readily cross so can't help you with distance. Can you point me to your source?

Monarda clinopodia.jpg

I found wild Monarda clinopodia in the Ouachita Mountains near the Oklahoma border.

Did a little digging for traditional medicinal uses for this variety, and only found one mention (so far) here: Monarda clinopodia (Basil Beebalm, Basil Bergamot, White Bergamot) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox

Uses (Ethnobotany): Native Americans used the plant to treat a variety of ailments.

But then, they said the same for several other Monarda varieties as well. I suspect that all Monardas share the same general attributes. Some are probably higher/lower in thymol, p-cymene, limonene, carvacrol, geraniol, and linalool.

Edited to add this interesting paper: The Volatile Phytochemistry of Monarda Species Growing in South Alabama

I am guessing that little is mentioned about Monarda clinopodia because it seems to be not as prevalent as other varieties.

One way to tell: I will experiment! I will definitely be taking a close, personal look at this plant and will try to compare the healing effects of this one compared to the M. fistulosa, etc.

Last edited:
...and here's another good source for a variety of Monarda seeds (including the famous Sweet Leaf) from my favorite medicinal seedsman:

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/...ategories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&ixwps=1
Edited to add: they are sold out of the Sweet Leaf seeds, but you can join the waitlist and get in line for when they harvest seeds this year. They are currently in stock for the other varieties.

Latest posts

Back