Moon Carrot- Queen of the Umbels

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
With all of my botany nomenclature from my Montessori classroom (that I hand made), I recognize that "umbel" is the type of flower on the carrot.

Umbel

Description

Description
In botany, an umbel is an inflorescence that consists of a number of short flower stalks which spread from a common point, somewhat like umbrella ribs. The word was coined in botanical usage in the 1590s, from Latin umbella "parasol, sunshade". The arrangement can vary from being flat-topped to almost spherical. Wikipedia

It seems that your thread got little attention. I am getting ready to start a thread about carrots and found it in my search to make sure there wasn't a thread about growing carrots already. I have one garden bed that I grow lots of flowers in, but have thought carrots could grow in it and blend right in. The flowers, umbels, on these carrots would fit right in that garden bed. I'm ordering some of them right now.

Weedygarden, please post how the plant does in your garden.
It is an uncommon display plant, something to talk about.
The writer at the top of the page is in Canada, so the plant should make it though the winter in your garden.

Weedygarden, please post how the plant does in your garden.
It is an uncommon display plant, something to talk about.
The writer at the top of the page is in Canada, so the plant should make it though the winter in your garden.
You grew them last year? How did they turn out? I think that as a biennial, it would take a second year for the flower (umbel) to be there.

I missed the thread totally before.
I've never had any luck with carrots. Never figured out why either
I planted them to deep, third time I got it right.
I made a furrow with my finger as light as possible, about 3/16, cover lightly & water every three days.

The umbel would look great in a vase! I wonder how the carrot tastes?

moon carrot umbel.jpeg

I'm not dead and queen Ann lace ROOT is a wild edible.We used to collect the seeds to make filled cookies. The tops make a tea. Daucus Carota
Not to be confused with poison hemlock.
They look alike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back