Moose hunting season

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Moose season is coming quickly. I'll be flying out to our remote cabin a couple of times . Start of season on 19th-26 again at beginning of September. Maybe end of September if needed. Or if I get a chance to sneak out there with my squeeze.
Been a while since I've been out there. Couple years now. Hopefully the bears didn't get in. And hopefully the bears didn't get into the wheelers and eat them. And everything works. But no matter, I'll have a blast. Hopefully literally a blast at a bull moose. And enough red meat for the family for the year.
It goes deeper than just hunting. When n the little plane drops us off I feel like a different person. All I can depend upon is me. Its a feeling hard to explain. And just the opportunity to harvest a moose to feed the family is great.
I'm in the bush. Wild Alaska. Head out for the day, just me. Go for a walkabout n see the world. This is my kind of world and I love it

Attachments

• 4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg
    4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 2
  • F8FA0016-032C-4534-8181-34CDB98E6034.jpeg
    F8FA0016-032C-4534-8181-34CDB98E6034.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2C9CF3B6-F34E-4E96-87B4-CCA17BC1BB18.jpeg
    2C9CF3B6-F34E-4E96-87B4-CCA17BC1BB18.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210317_114745.jpg
    20210317_114745.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm way too old and crippled up for that level of adventure anymore.. However.. When I lived in the far north I spent a lot of time at the picnic table and HOBO stove, or the big kitchen window drinking tea while glassing the farm for moose.. Most times I was lucky enough to harvest one coming off our swamp to one or another pastures.. A quick and easy retrieval with the tractor..

Too many people who only see meat on a plastic tray don't realize the work that goes into harvesting an animal like that.. But then the rewards are out of this world... We used to do the extra work to debone the whole animal for the convenience of use when it comes out of the freezer to the slow cooker or smoker... The bones were broken up and boiled for extra protein for the chickens or used by a fur trapper neighbor..

My favorites were a homemade smoked mixed wild meat cheese and cracker type sausage.. Home canned raw pack meat cubes over rice or noodles makes a good, quick meal..
Good luck..

Best of luck on your hunt and enjoy yourself!

Looks like a great place, AK. Hope your hunt is successful.

That place looks great - perfect, in fact. Good luck!

I'm way too old and crippled up for that level of adventure anymore.. However.. When I lived in the far north I spent a lot of time at the picnic table and HOBO stove, or the big kitchen window drinking tea while glassing the farm for moose.. Most times I was lucky enough to harvest one coming off our swamp to one or another pastures.. A quick and easy retrieval with the tractor..

Too many people who only see meat on a plastic tray don't realize the work that goes into harvesting an animal like that.. But then the rewards are out of this world... We used to do the extra work to debone the whole animal for the convenience of use when it comes out of the freezer to the slow cooker or smoker... The bones were broken up and boiled for extra protein for the chickens or used by a fur trapper neighbor..

My favorites were a homemade smoked mixed wild meat cheese and cracker type sausage.. Home canned raw pack meat cubes over rice or noodles makes a good, quick meal..
Good luck..

Your correct about the work. And getting one in remote ak takes getting it out to the lake and getting the plane in. And getting someone on the other end to unload the plane twice. Hopefully those days are over. Last freight haul with snogos I freighted a small freezer/refrigerator out and a new duel fuel 2500 watt generator. And a small air conditioner. My plan is to build a walk in cooler. When I built the generator shed 8x12 I insulated it. Hopefully I can mount the air conditioner and be able to use it as a cooler. I'll put the freezer in there also and open it up to help cool things down. Evening is getting cooler this time of the year to.
And having a couple wheelers around with winches on the is helpful. Hey I wanted it set up for when I got oller in broken up body has to pay the toll.
I'll still be out hunting

Last edited:
I went to Alaska once to hunt moose.
My cousin took me to the sporting good place for my license and tag.
I told the kid I needed an out of state license and tag.
He gave me what he said I needed and charged me less than $100.
I said that's not right the tag alone should have been $300 at the time.
He called his manager over and he confirmed that was correct.
My cousin said just go with it.
So we went moose hunting all week around Fairbanks. I saw one moose and it was within the city limits.
As I was getting ready to fly home I told my Uncle the story about how cheap it was.
He said that's not right, let me see your tag. I showed him the paperwork and he said NO I want to see your metal tag.
I didn't have one. Turns out I was right and the kid and his manager were wrong.
Fortunately I never saw a moose to shoot and the game warden never stopped us.
I can only imagine what would have happened if I actually shot a moose.

Moose season is coming quickly. I'll be flying out to our remote cabin a couple of times . Start of season on 19th-26 again at beginning of September. Maybe end of September if needed. Or if I get a chance to sneak out there with my squeeze.
Been a while since I've been out there. Couple years now. Hopefully the bears didn't get in. And hopefully the bears didn't get into the wheelers and eat them. And everything works. But no matter, I'll have a blast. Hopefully literally a blast at a bull moose. And enough red meat for the family for the year.
It goes deeper than just hunting. When n the little plane drops us off I feel like a different person. All I can depend upon is me. Its a feeling hard to explain. And just the opportunity to harvest a moose to feed the family is great.
I'm in the bush. Wild Alaska. Head out for the day, just me. Go for a walkabout n see the world. This is my kind of world and I love it
Looks like home to me! swift hunting bud!

Thanks for the atta boys folks. Took a lot of work ! Time n a couple bucks. But it's something my beautiful wife said I needed to get out of my system.
And being there is almost spiritual. Not many places a fellow can go like this anymore. No clocks, photos kinda work kinda don't. Internet takes a lot of time and patience. I don't use a GPS.
I sit near the edge of the pond often. It's a beautiful, natural setting. And the chances of a moose, wolves, lynx are always there. Swans nest here. Yeah it's a special place

I miss my years in Alaska. We lived about 5 miles outside of Palmer and worked rotational jobs on the NS. We had a couple 4 wheelers, snow machines, Tucker Sno Cat, jet boat and an Argo for getting around up there. And of course friends with planes. I especially miss the annual dip net seasons. I used to smoke a lot of salmon and make a ton of squaw candy.

Thanks for the atta boys folks. Took a lot of work ! Time n a couple bucks. But it's something my beautiful wife said I needed to get out of my system.
And being there is almost spiritual. Not many places a fellow can go like this anymore. No clocks, photos kinda work kinda don't. Internet takes a lot of time and patience. I don't use a GPS.
I sit near the edge of the pond often. It's a beautiful, natural setting. And the chances of a moose, wolves, lynx are always there. Swans nest here. Yeah it's a special place

Living life like it was meant to be lived unburdened by the the shackles of the present culture. Enjoy it while you can!

So....... How did your season turn out ??
We require PICTURES.... LOTS OF PICTURES.....

Latest posts

Back