Moose proof rhubarb

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Beautiful wife dug up some huge rhubarb plants last fall so we could get them out to our cabin. And they are still at our house. We did make a few freight/fun rides but rhubarb didn't make the list. But, I will be flying out to get the 200 TnG pine boards on the ceiling upstairs and a few other projects so hopefully we'll get them.
We want them there as a fresh food all summer. And the moose don't eat them mostly. Also have some nice golden n red raspberries I'd like to get out but not sure if I'd just be feeding moose. Also still unsure about bringing out a plant that can spread like they can. What do you all think

Beautiful wife dug up some huge rhubarb plants last fall so we could get them out to our cabin. And they are still at our house. We did make a few freight/fun rides but rhubarb didn't make the list. But, I will be flying out to get the 200 TnG pine boards on the ceiling upstairs and a few other projects so hopefully we'll get them.
We want them there as a fresh food all summer. And the moose don't eat them mostly. Also have some nice golden n red raspberries I'd like to get out but not sure if I'd just be feeding moose. Also still unsure about bringing out a plant that can spread like they can. What do you all think
I would think that fencing would be really important to keep moose and other critters out of your garden. I don't know if you watch Shawn James or not. He lives in Canada and is building his second cabin. He has a green house, and a large garden. In this video he talks about keeping moose and deer out of his garden.

The moose don't seem to bother anything with thorns/stickers, like raspberries. At least they leave mine alone. I worry more about my orchard as they like to eat the bark in the winter. A chain link fence seems to work.

Up the mountain, I wouldn't think of putting a blackberry in the ground. I would dig starts and give them to my SIL who loved them but could never keep them alive. So, I guess I would ask - would raspberries spread that aggressively up there? Also, I would rather have edibles spread than toxic weeds or non-edibles. Just my opinion.

Up the mountain, I wouldn't think of putting a blackberry in the ground. I would dig starts and give them to my SIL who loved them but could never keep them alive. So, I guess I would ask - would raspberries spread that aggressively up there? Also, I would rather have edibles spread than toxic weeds or non-edibles. Just my opinion.
Raspberries spread but not as aggressively as blackberries. I tried blackberries but couldn't get them to survive. I want an edible barrier.

I have had no issue with moose with our rhubarb or raspberries. They walk right past both. Bears love the raspberries, however.

Both plants are pretty hardy and once established you will see them spread.

I have had no issue with moose with our rhubarb or raspberries. They walk right past both. Bears love the raspberries, however.

Both plants are pretty hardy and once established you will see them spread.
If you're going to eat bear, spring bear is the best, before they get to the salmon...or the raspberries.

If you're going to eat bear, spring bear is the best, before they get to the salmon...or the raspberries.
Opposite here - late fall bear is best when they are eating all the fall fruit. Here, they eat salmon and fawns etc in the spring so taste yuk.

Opposite here - late fall bear is best when they are eating all the fall fruit. Here, they eat salmon and fawns etc in the spring so taste yuk.
You have to get to them before the salmon runs hit or they taste like hit. Don't ask me how I know.

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous so you shouldn't have to worry about critters eating your rhubarb. The stalks are great but the leaves go into the compost.

Yeah, trying to fence off a moose that wants to get into the garden requires 2" minimum steel posts 8' tall with concrete reinforcement wire around it. I've had to cut a bull moose out of a measly 4' fence one night. We have a 5' tall fence for the dog. A moose will stand up n bring its body down on the fence.
Bears will be bears. BTW both early spring and fall blueberry bear meat is tasty. We canned up the last one in pint jars.
Try to find food that we can have fresh n supply food. I really like rhubarb it grows great especially since the sun doesn't set much anymore. Moose don't so it's going. With the raspberries I will probably bring a bunch out n see what happens. The snowshoe hares will girder the raspberries. And we have a lot lot lot of snowshoe around here right now. See a few every day.
Eventually some starving moose will come along n trim the really good. As long as they don't try digging up n eating the roots. They will dig up the formed fiddlehead ferns under the fern plants and leave forest debris scattered in a fitty foot area.
I'm not putting up a fence in the middle of nowhere Alaska.
It would just not belong

Latest posts

Back