Moovin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed this thread the other day and it got me thinking about all the times I've moved. I had never really thought about it in detail. 8 times in my life I have moved more than 2000 miles but less than 3000. 5 times I have moved more than 800 miles but less than 2000 miles. I think by now I should have this down to an art form!

I got to thinking about a lesson I learned the hard way, a very simple lesson. Its the difference between a leisurely 2500 mile move and a 2500 mile nightmare!

Say I was moving from the east coast to the west coast and I'm traveling on I-70, maybe towing a u-haul trailer or worse driving a u-haul truck towing a pickup truck behind (did that several times). The big difference is where you spend each night. Say I'm planning to spend the night in Columbus Ohio.

Traveling west I could stop for the night as soon as I got to the outskirts of Columbus. The next morning I have to fight rush hour traffic into the city or around the loop, God forbid there is an accident delay. When I finally get to the west side of the city I've wasted 1 to 2.5 hours, I'm completely stressed and tired. Not the best way to start your 10-12 hour day.

I learned to avoid late afternoon rush hour traffic, even if it means stopping for and early dinner 4:30-5pm. After rush hour I would continue my drive to the west side of the city and then get a hotel for the night. The next morning I can get a nice breakfast and start my day in light west bound traffic. The traffic on the west side is east bound morning rush hour traffic. Most of my morning would be a relaxing drive.

When I was 20 years old either scenario wouldn't have made a difference. In my 30's this simple choice made all the difference in the world.

If I was driving 5-7 days... starting each day stressed and tired made a 2500 mile move, brutal... or choice B, starting each day with relaxing drive?

I was a slow learner... it took me a decade to figure this out... To this day... If going on vacation or to a plant class and it requires me to stop over night on the way... I still drive across that city before I stop for the night and start the next morning with a relaxing drive.

Hope this helps somebody...

Last edited:
@CrackbottomLouis yes we have found that with the plumbing here where they had taken shortcuts and botched 2 joins where the mains water pipes were leaking. Some of the pipes had been cut too short and used whatever to join them with that wasn't leak proof and they never bothered fixing it properly so it continued to leak. We got in there and fixed it properly so they will not leak for a while yet. The previous owners here was an aged care facility who bought it from the original owners (sort of a deceased estate) as the owner had a terminal illness and went into their aged care facility. Being city people they had not a clue what to do and hired out the plumbing work to a well known bad cowboy plumber who does shocking work. Rather than installing a grey water hose on the outside grey water tank with the pump that is installed there so the water pumped out onto the grass they left it without and wondered why it overflowed :dunno: due to the rainwater running in there from the back patio roof and other grey water. Logic would say lots of water going in but with no way for it to come back out it will overflow.

Because of all the water leaks they didn't get fixed their water bill for the property for 2 x 6 monthly bills was $2500 each time, now that is a lot of water leaking and a huge bill to pay.

Another thing that made no sense is there are 3 rainwater tanks here and the top shed has 2 gate valves :dunno: , why not just install the 3 to start off with so you can switch between the tanks when one runs out or drain the top tanks into the bottom huge tank rather than walk half the property to turn on the gate valve on the 3rd tank.

Maybe we are just too sensible and logical ?, and want things done correctly in the first place rather than pay huge water bills or have to walk miles to turn on or off a gate valve.

Plumbing here seems to be their downfall the rest of the house is in good condition and so are the sheds. The outdoor grapeyard vineyard was about to fall down along with the chicken pen too. All things we can fix and when we do they will be built sturdily with items that don't rot or get eaten out with termites.

...I learned to avoid late afternoon rush hour traffic, even if it means stopping for and early dinner 4:30-5pm. After rush hour I would continue my drive to the west side of the city and then get a hotel for the night. The next morning I can get a nice breakfast and start my day in light west bound traffic. The traffic on the west side is east bound morning rush hour traffic. Most of my morning would be a relaxing drive. ...

Every spring and fall Dad would drive 1,000 miles straight through. He had it down to a science, hitting the major cities early in the morning when traffic was almost nonexistent. He did this into his late eighties.

I help the youngest son move 2,500 miles driving a U-haul truck pulling their car on a flat bed trailer. Unfortunately he had a 4 hour window we had to hit at the far end which limited our traffic avoidance options. We made the window with a hour to spare by driving straight through the night before. I was glad when that trip was over.

Every spring and fall Dad would drive 1,000 miles straight through. He had it down to a science, hitting the major cities early in the morning when traffic was almost nonexistent. He did this into his late eighties.

I help the youngest son move 2,500 miles driving a U-haul truck pulling their car on a flat bed trailer. Unfortunately he had a 4 hour window we had to hit at the far end which limited our traffic avoidance options. We made the window with a hour to spare by driving straight through the night before. I was glad when that trip was over.
You know that would have been a 4 or 5 day trip for some people? When I talked about driving from Colorado to Boston in two days, a few people asked me how we did it? Get in the car and drive. Stop for gas. While gassing up, passengers get out, stretch, restroom, and whatever else they need to do. Buy food to go if you don't have some food with you, which we usually do. Get back in the car, drive, stop again when you need gas again. Rotate drivers as needed. Go, go, go.

I have had several people tell me they cannot do that. They have to stop and walk around, half an hour here, half an hour there. One time, cousin riding with me wanted to stop and "use the restroom." Actually, she wanted to smoke and the bathroom was her excuse. Didn't want to leave at 4 in the morning like I usually do, because she was on vacation, while there were many miles to go. It means you get where you are going so damned late, instead of early enough to get squared away on the other end. I try to get going really early and stop driving in the early evening.

...I have had several people tell me they cannot do that....

12 hour road time trip to see the oldest grand-kids. Takes us 16 hours. We leave in the evening, drive until dark and then find a motel. In the morning we are on the road for a hour when the wife starts talking about stopping for breakfast (I ate the free continental breakfast at the motel while she was doing female stuff). Same thing for lunch and then supper, all at restaurants where you look down at the menu, time killers.

12 hour road time trip to see the oldest grand-kids. Takes us 16 hours. We leave in the evening, drive until dark and then find a motel. In the morning we are on the road for a hour when the wife starts talking about stopping for breakfast (I ate the free continental breakfast at the motel while she was doing female stuff). Same thing for lunch and then supper, all at restaurants where you look down at the menu, time killers.
I really love to stop and have a meal in a restaurant, but not when I have many miles to go.

Well it's been one heckova week My grandmother always said when "good?" trouble comes it will come in threes. O K ...
One..The DW was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer, Two.....one of my grandsons was rushed to Scottish Rite Hospital and then moved to Egelston hospital and is in the PKU (they pronounce it pik u) pediatric intensive care unit. Three...and I hope this is the third considering the other two!
nope it has rained and the roof still has a leak.

Latest posts

Back