Motivation - where do you find it?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not motivated enough to even make a list of things I need to do, or tell others in this thread how I motivate myself to do them. True story!

I'm hoping others will give some good tips in this thread that I can use. Motivation is not my strong suit at the moment.
Others are able to give some experiences and ideas but I'm hoping that you may be able to learn to motivate yourself. Have you looked into it for ideas that you may be interested in? Your on a homesteading site. Does any projects peak your interest or even more of a survivalist? Garden, animals, preserving. . . ? I know when I was only working 3 days a week all my days were completely full with tending the garden, preserving in a few ways and tending the animals.

I dusted once. It all came back. I'm not falling for that again.

I too make lists but mostly so I don't forget, not as a motivator. Money has always been a great motivator for me. If you want me to do something, pay me.

Another internal motivator for me was a quote from Abraham Lincoln: "If you are going to be something be a good one," That always rang true to me, so whatever I did or wherever I worked I was motivated to be a good one.
Have to admit I LOL with your "I dusted once. It all came back. I'm not falling for that again." I have to dust every couple days or we would be totally grey on furniture. Hunny decided to go with crushed concrete for the driveway and roads thru the property. Hunny tracks in, Dogs roll. . . Blower from fireplace does not help at all.

Have to admit I LOL with your "I dusted once. It all came back. I'm not falling for that again." I have to dust every couple days or we would be totally grey on furniture. Hunny decided to go with crushed concrete for the driveway and roads thru the property. Hunny tracks in, Dogs roll. . . Blower from fireplace does not help at all.

I feel your pain. When we were first married we lived in the shadow of a concrete company. Dust was everywhere. Worst part was the residue it left on the cars. Ruined the paint. :(

Back on topic: Motivation - where do you find it?
Mindset, different approach, different way of thinking. Pushing aside the negative thinking and pursuing my goal. Even when it is something I don’t want to do, but it isn’t a “have to get it done but know it should be done,” eventually it has to be done. There seem to be a lot of those kinds of projects, things to take care of weighing down on me. Where once was a man with his wife and kids, with so many plans and hopes and dreams, now the man is gone and the kids have flown.
The sun is shining, the cat is meowing. Many “miles” to go before I rest.

Today I used a different mind trick. I was feeling a bit lazy today b/c I had too much fun yesterday and stayed up too late. Well, just going outside and waking the dogs always seems to boost my energy levels and today was no different. So, when I got back from the walk, I made a deal with myself that I would take care of loose ends for an hour and then I could sit for 30 minutes and surf the web. So, now my dishes are done, my purse had been decluttered, the CC bill has been reconciled and paid, the mail has been gone through, dinner has been planned, kitchen is clean, and the coffee is ready to go for tomorrow. After my half hour is up, I'm going to go through a dresser and pack some things away.

My motivation is at Wally Mart. Do I really want to end up like these REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED.?

No.
I am not a big fan of going there. There is something about the place that bothers me, or maybe it is several somethings there. Does it mean I don't go there? No. I go about once a month to buy some things that I can find there, but not other places. I also do a Dollar Tree run once a month for the same reason. And at least one Costco run a month.

Setting goals really helps me. The going through closets and house and organizing is my goal for 2024. It is on my mind every morning before I get out of bed.

I do know that making lists is a great way to get things done. I've seen my aunt and uncle with a list on the kitchen counter with the tasks for the day and them being crossed off as they are finished. Some of those tasks are ones that anyone in the home can do, while some are more geared to one person or another.

Habits and routines! That is the motivation that I need. I can get into a routine, a habit, and every morning I wake up thinking about what I need to do or want to do. That is all good for me until my routine gets interrupted by going to stay at someone's house for a week or so or something else. That gets in the way of my routine. That stops my daily habit of getting things done.

The business of doing something everyday works for me until I have a distraction. My sewing, embroidery, quilt and other such projects get started and then an interruption, such as going back to work, causes me to not finish some of those projects for years and years. A few years ago, maybe 5, I finished a quilt that I had started in the early 1980's. Why? Baby, divorce, moving, life, trainings, interruptions, purchasing a home that needed and still needs work.

The business of going through closets, drawers, cabinets started for me at the New Year again this year. It is not the first time I have done this, started at the beginning of the year and made good progress, but it is the interruption of the routine that gets in my way. As I stated before, I have never finished going through my house and organizing, purging, and being done. It really does help me to have this goal though. What else is going to get in my way? Starting seedlings. Gardening. Yard work. And dogs and cats!

I am still working on the first closet I started with, but I am doing so because I am going through other closets, rooms, drawers, cabinets and boxes, and finding stuff that goes into those closet bins.
Stuff is scattered in other places. Today, it was travel sized toiletries. I found another bag with a bunch of those toiletries. I went through the new bin in the closet and the bag and cleaned out a bunch of stuff, and made it all fit in there in the one bin. I purged used empty bottles, used razors and toothbrushes that should have been thrown away years ago. I found a card from a motel we stayed in at least 10 years ago. Not a big deal, but daughter was asking about this motel we stayed at recently and together we couldn't put it together. Card is going in with all of the other cards I have. Information is also on phone. That is certainly not all that I have gotten done today, but is an example of how this project keeps me going.

And there are days when I have been so busy and distracted that there is no motivation left.

Last edited:
dusted once. It all came back. I'm not falling for that again.
I'll tell you, this is my general thought about cleaning. I have never been motivated to dust everyday or even every week. It isn't just dusting though. I am better at organizing, when I am motivated, and cleaning then. Sweep the kitchen floor? I did that yesterday. Or last week. Where is the motivation in doing something like that every day or week? I know people who even mop the kitchen floor every day! I don't know where people find the motivation to do that! I have to have company coming to really be motivated to do a thorough cleaning.

I know people who even mop the kitchen floor every day! I don't know where people find the motivation to do that! I have to have company coming to really be motivated to do a thorough cleaning.
My motivation only comes when the nose-pincers are yanked, and presto!, I help mop the house. :thumbs:
71r24pzo2xL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I had no motivation to clean the milkhouse muck today because I had already changed out of my work clothes, so I finished the pork canning, and worked down in the basement with food storage for an hr, and also mostly cleaned out one small freezer. I told myself that I had to do something that needed to be done.

I usually have no problem motivating for physical or outdoor activities. I always take care of the animals, including dog walking ( I enjoy that anyways). I have no problem motivating for cooking or even most other housework if it needs to be done. I really hate shopping, but that too gets done. I think the only thing I very much procrastinate and put of is paperwork or office work type stuff. I hate paying bills, doing tax stuff, dealing with any of that sort of thing
I would hate to ever have another job where I sit in a office in front of a computer

I think the only thing I very much procrastinate and put of is paperwork or office work type stuff. I hate paying bills, doing tax stuff, dealing with any of that sort of thing
I would hate to ever have another job where I sit in a office in front of a computer
I have had jobs where I did lots of paperwork and it was okay. It is the paperwork at home that I am not motivated to do.

Going to Wally world for me is like a trip on safari. Since I've been a lifelong study on marketing, I view the whole experience as the ultimate practice of median Gaussian bell curve mind manipulation: The colors. The parking lot. The lighting. The sound. The smells. But I limit my excursion experience to once or twice a year. The purpose of "learning from fools" without the folly of becoming a fool?

Another motivation trick to battle procrastination? Timing that task. Sometimes, I fill the mind with mental obstacles like "that's gonna take a lot of time and effort". But just timing the routine task once dispels that obstacle. It's amazing how many dishes I can hand wash in eight minutes?

For me "motivation" is born "one billionth of a second"........after blood curdling awareness of life-threatening terror.

Being chewed on by a bear, or crashing airplanes, are examples.

The strongest motivation I have ever felt was weakness and having to learn to walk all over again

The physical therapist would ask me to to 1 set of 5 leg lifts
I would do the set and count off as I did it
Then I would do an extra set look him dead in the eye and say/ count
I,,,,,want,,,,out,,,,,of,,,, HERE!!!

Most tasks we put off, like emptying the dishwasher, doing dishes, taking out trash, etc., usually take less than 10 minutes to do! So just do them and be done!!
Yup, me too. Those things are part of my everyday chores, which are no big deal. Often times if I'm feeling chatty, I'll call my family members or friends and have my phone headset on while I'm cruising the house putting away things, doing laundry, getting dinner pans out, etc. For some reason, I can't just sit and talk on the phone.....I have to wander so I might as well take advantage of it.

For me "motivation" is born "one billionth of a second"........after blood curdling awareness of life-threatening terror.

Being chewed on by a bear, or crashing airplanes, are examples.
:oops: That's not the kind of motivation I'm talking about. I'll pass on your suggestion. LOL! Yeah, fear and pain are some of the most succinct motivators out there, but they won't help me get my garage cleaned out.

Like many of you on here, I find some motivators right here on the forum. Some of you post your accomplishments and sometimes its enough of a motivator to get me focused on things that need to be done that I have been procrastinating. I'm in a spare room right now gutting it out. The drawers are empty and the closet is almost done. I will be moving totes out of that room today. I can't wait to have an empty room to start putting things in. Plus, I'll have an empty bookshelf that I can't wait to take advantage of.:thumbs:

Another mind game I sometimes use is (if I feel like the house got cluttered), I'll tell myself to put 10 things in it's place before sittnig down or doing something I WANT to do as opposed to doing what I should be doing. Sometimes that 10 item distraction will be enough for me to continue on and do more than I really wanted to. Sometimes it doens't, but either way at least I've accomplished something.

Have you ever battled depression?
I have seen times when I did not have the motivation to get out of bed
Just sleep 23 hours a day but then I learned a very important thing called mind over matter
It is really very simple
Mind over matter
If you dont mind
It dont matter
I had the dream while watching cartoons and Donald Duck spoke to me
He said, my name is Donald Duck and I flat do not give a F——. quack f——quack quack
Apply that philosophy to everyday life and the little things that used to bug you simply go away
Mind over matter, If you dot mind it don’t matter. Quack quack

This might be just a weeeeeeer touch too far out there for some of you guys
Depression, mental illness, anxiety and loneliness Is not a cheerful topic for discussion. Quack quack. 😂

Last edited:
Hunger cold, the next coffee, I dislike lists, oh yeah the not so great investments, and junk that wants to be useful again,

Latest posts

Back