Mushrooms

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Found some edible mushrooms in the yard, boletes. I'm not brave enough to eat them but there may come a time...they need to be cooked first.

The underside is sponge-like rather than gilled. Will upload a photo when I figure out how.

15378979640241591289751.jpg

Really nice find, Patchouli!

I used to belong to a mycological group. It was very interesting to me. They used to have regular foraging forays, but I never went on any. They did bring in speakers who were very knowledgeable and specialized. I found those presentations fascinating. We also had an annual mushroom event where mushrooms were displayed and people could get help identifying mushrooms they had found.

Boletes are some of the most popular images when it comes to mushrooms. They are highly sought after by mushroom foragers.

I do know that you have to be very careful when it comes to foraging and eating found mushrooms. In some parts of the world, certain areas are known for certain mushrooms and families have foraged those locations for generations.

Really nice find, Patchouli!

I used to belong to a mycological group. It was very interesting to me. They used to have regular foraging forays, but I never went on any. They did bring in speakers who were very knowledgeable and specialized. I found those presentations fascinating. We also had an annual mushroom event where mushrooms were displayed and people could get help identifying mushrooms they had found.

Boletes are some of the most popular images when it comes to mushrooms. They are highly sought after by mushroom foragers.

I do know that you have to be very careful when it comes to foraging and eating found mushrooms. In some parts of the world, certain areas are known for certain mushrooms and families have foraged those locations for generations.

I don't know a thing about rooms so I don't touch em. But thats neat you do Weedy.

Yah, some are so poisonous that your body absorbs the toxins through your hands or fingers and you can die within a relatively short time, or a few days or weeks.
Nasty business.
You had a mycology group you met with, Weedy? That sounds like something we'd like.
Some mushrooms, fungi, etc. are medicinal and some see healing benefits from that application.
Reishi, turkey tail, maitake, lion' s mane, chaga, cordyceps and blends of various others are grown and marketed all over the world. You have to be careful of origin since the Chinese brands are known for adding false ingredients to bulk it up. We prefer American.
Australia and Japan are reporting healing of various cancers with the use of medicinal mushrooms.

Last edited:
Yah, some are so poisonous that your body absorbs the toxins through your hands or fingers and you can die within a relatively short time, or a few days or weeks.
Nasty business.
You had a mycology group you met with, Weedy? That sounds like something we'd like.
Some mushrooms, fungi, and such are medicinal and some see healing benefits from that application.
Reishi, turkey tail, maitake, lion' s mane, chaga, cordyceps and blends of various others and are grown and marketed all over the world. You have to be careful of origin. We prefer American.
Australia and Japan are reporting healing of various cancers with the use of medicinal mushrooms.
The mycological group still meets in my area. I have just lost touch with the group and when it meets. I have seen that they still have their annual mushroom fair.

If you aren't connected to a mycological group, you might search your area to see if there is one. If you find that there isn't one, you might consider starting one. The group that I belonged to had people who had Master's and PhDs who were interested and had connections with others who were knowledgeable. One woman talked about medicinal mushrooms. A man talked about how mushrooms heal areas where there have been fires. They are the first life to be seen in a burn area as it starts to come back.

There are a lot here that are starting to sprout out of the cow poop in the field next door. Are they any good?
That is really difficult to know. There are mushrooms that are safe to eat, and then many of them have very similar mushrooms which are not. I am certainly no expert and would never pick any mushroom I found and try to eat it. I have read and heard way too many stories.

cow poo mushrooms will help you to meet people you normally wouldn't meet.
You most likely do not want to eat them, but I don't know if you really want to have that kind of experience or not.
Don't you know this, JAC? Look it up.

Last edited:
Yes? The red one next to it, they were alike. Yellow underside, red cap. There are a few of them in the yard.

@camo2460 : is there a best picking time for a mushroom?
I've got several boletes in my yard now, some are very small, a little bigger, and some are open. The small ones are a beautiful rich rusty velvet red color on top and as they grow, it fades. Looks like leather.
@JAC you need help with more than identifying mushrooms.
;)

@camo2460 : is there a best picking time for a mushroom?
I've got several boletes in my yard now, some are very small, a little bigger, and some are open. The small ones are a beautiful rich rusty velvet red color on top and as they grow, it fades. Looks like leather.
@JAC you need help with more than identifying mushrooms.
;)
Patch are those Mushrooms kind of slimy on the Cap, are there Pine Trees in the area? as to your Question they should be collected before they get old and dried out. Also make sure that you wait until the Mushroom is fully open so as to make a positive I.D.

No, no pines at all. Lots of oak trees, LOTS, as you can see by acorns lying around. Only a slight bit slimy, only like white mushrooms you can get at the store. So, no, not really.

Patch break a piece of the Mushroom off and put it on your tongue, tell me if its bitter or not.

Patch upon further study I believe you Mushrooms are Chestnut Boletes, not Slippery Jacks however they are still edible and choice.

What I've read is that some people may detect bitterness, some people may not and think it is choice.
My husband just pulled an older one, it bruised blue, he read that means poisonous. But he also licked it and said it was a little bitter.
I'll get a better specimen.

No, oooh, I read that boletes may bruise purple or blue. Game on, don't tell Meerkat. Or my husband.
If you don't hear back from me over the next few days, take it as a warning about mushroom gathering.
Stay tuned.

What I've read is that some people may detect bitterness, some people may not and think it is choice.
My husband just pulled an older one, it bruised blue, he read that means poisonous. But he also licked it and said it was a little bitter.
I'll get a better specimen.
Bruising Blue does not indicate Toxicity, Zellers Bolete Bruises Blue and edibility for that Mushroom is considered good.

Latest posts

Back