My fun experience donating my hair to Wigs For Kids.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For about 25 years I had short, neat, well groomed hair until about 4 years ago when I was tired of the monthly trip to the barber. For almost 4 years I let my hair grow with the intention of donating it one day to Wigs For Kids, and that time has arrived. Honestly I was getting tired of leaning back in a chair or in the seat of my truck and not being able to turn my head because the hair was stuck behind my shoulders.
To add some fun and entertainment to this experience I styled my unusually long hair in a variety of ways to capture your attention, your laughs, and your amusing comments.
My goal was to raise $500.00 for Wigs For Kids, and with the generosity of many awesome people the total raised is $675.00. Some lucky child (even though their need is definitely not luck) will soon be sporting these luscious locks in the near future. (I didn't include a link to the fundraiser page because I don't know if that is allowed)
1626284289494.png
1626284380975.png

The Willie Nelson look.
1626284442364.png
1626284469925.png

Just an ordinary average (ruggedly handsome) guy.
1626284506620.png

The cowboy life.
1626284564770.png

What the punk?!?! It was a bit windy outside so this picture had to be taken in the garage.
1626284663081.png

The Ozzy. (no way I was shaving the mustache)
1626284783489.png

Howdy.
1626284818754.png

High and tight.
1626284900886.png

Do they take gray? With my current color I'm not sure they would want it.

Awesome! One thing I love is WfK doesn't charge for the wigs like other places. I donated my hair there a couple years ago.
I'd donate mine but I can't get the shower drain to cooperate. It wants to keep it all. :(

Nice and hilarious. I donated to locks of love twice. I don't know if they charge on the other end.
Yep they do.
Do they take gray? With my current color I'm not sure they would want it.
They take grey but it can't be colored/dyed/bleached etc.

They take grey but it can't be colored/dyed/bleached etc.

The last 6 inches is henna red but the rest is natural. I want it down to my bottom before I cut it next. It is past my shoulders to my armpits when wet now.

Nice and hilarious. I donated to locks of love twice. I don't know if they charge on the other end.
According to their website, originally Locks Of Love charged for the hair pieces but eventually they became a non-profit and they no longer charge for hair pieces. I chose Wigs For Kids because they never charged, ever, and a friend of my girlfriend has a child that gets wigs from Wigs For Kids.

I LOVE those pictures. I was surely impressed by the crazy, Wild spikes. You look great with your short hair.
Thank you. It is much easier to care for. S small dab of shampoo, real quick lather and rinse, Done! I don't even need to towel dry, it dries in about 5 minutes. When working and getting warm, use my hands to splash some water on my head and cool off real quick.
I enjoyed it long, it was an experience, but I am glad to have it short again. My girlfriend has done well learning how to do a flat top.

Once I get done with this silly "covid hair" my wife wanted me to grow out, I'll look at donating it (now that I read they will take gray). I don't know if mine is quite long enough for them to want though. It's about mid-shoulder blade length now if you pull it straight. But it's really wavy/curly.

It's several inches longer than this picture now. I look like something out of a jungle hermit movie unless I put it into a pony tail (then I look like Benjamin Franklin). Plus, I can't stand the curls tickling my face and neck - I gotta pull it back for my sanity! I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I've gotten quite adept with those elastic hair ties.

hair.jpg

Once I get done with this silly "covid hair" my wife wanted me to grow out, I'll look at donating it (now that I read they will take gray). I don't know if mine is quite long enough for them to want though. It's about mid-shoulder blade length now if you pull it straight. But it's really wavy/curly.

It's several inches longer than this picture now. I look like something out of a jungle hermit movie unless I put it into a pony tail (then I look like Benjamin Franklin). Plus, I can't stand the curls tickling my face and neck - I gotta pull it back for my sanity! I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I've gotten quite adept with those elastic hair ties.

View attachment 69582
Aw, C'mon Man! If you don't post a pic of it in a 'man-bun', well, 'you ain't gotta hair' (pun). 😁

I do not like long hair on my neck, so I have never had hair over 3-4 inches long & that was long for me the few times I had it. My son & daughter grew their hair out for "Locks for Love", they wanted 9 inches min.
Some people made remarks about his hair & he would say it for charity & they shut up.
When they said something to me, I said he is grown man.
After he donated the hair, he grew it out again & has a full beard now.
The nine inches was over five years ago, so it may not be the minimum at this time.
As a child, we boys got a crew cut the day after school was out & it lasted until next June. This maybe why I do not like long hair, as well as it interferes with self defense in a fight, not that I am looking for a fight.

I've had short hair a couple times in my life, longer a couple times and mostly shoulder length. It was short when I was growing out of baby hair when I was really young. My mother always kept my hair curled and nice. That was a feat, because my hair is straight and coarse and any day that I curl it, it is straight by the end of the day. My hair was short when I was a senior in h.s. My senior photo was taken when I had short hair. When I was in college, I grew my hair out. After college graduation I had waist length hair. I always kept the ends trimmed so it was raggedy looking. It is around two years now since I had my hair cut. For years, I have had my hair cut shoulder length. What is different now is that the first time since I grew my hair as a young child that I do not have bangs. I prefer the looks of bangs since I have a high forehead.

I wanted a Farrah Fawcett cut around 1980 and a woman I knew had been a hairdresser. She wanted to work with my hair. She had NO idea how to cut layered hair. She cut it in two layers, not a gradual cut. It was horrible. She also gave me a perm which didn't hold. My hair was a mess until it all grew out. I have used professionals since.

My hair is around 16 inches long and I have been thinking about getting a hair cut. I have been thinking about it since my last hair cut. I didn't decide not to cut my hair, it just sort of happened. From what I've read and heard, Locks of Love wants donations of hair, but charges big fees for wigs to people who are bald from medical treatments. Does someone know about this?

I've had short hair a couple times in my life, longer a couple times and mostly shoulder length. It was short when I was growing out of baby hair when I was really young. My mother always kept my hair curled and nice. That was a feat, because my hair is straight and coarse and any day that I curl it, it is straight by the end of the day. My hair was short when I was a senior in h.s. My senior photo was taken when I had short hair. When I was in college, I grew my hair out. After college graduation I had waist length hair. I always kept the ends trimmed so it was raggedy looking. It is around two years now since I had my hair cut. For years, I have had my hair cut shoulder length. What is different now is that the first time since I grew my hair as a young child that I do not have bangs. I prefer the looks of bangs since I have a high forehead.

I wanted a Farrah Fawcett cut around 1980 and a woman I knew had been a hairdresser. She wanted to work with my hair. She had NO idea how to cut layered hair. She cut it in two layers, not a gradual cut. It was horrible. She also gave me a perm which didn't hold. My hair was a mess until it all grew out. I have used professionals since.

My hair is around 16 inches long and I have been thinking about getting a hair cut. I have been thinking about it since my last hair cut. I didn't decide not to cut my hair, it just sort of happened. From what I've read and heard, Locks of Love wants donations of hair, but charges big fees for wigs to people who are bald from medical treatments. Does someone know about this?
According to Locks Of Love's website they used to charge people for the wigs while they were connected to a for profit wig maker, but after several years they became a non-profit and they no longer charge for the wigs.
Wigs For Kids never charged.

Latest posts

Back