My refrigerator died!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Saved EVERYTHING thanks to the extra fridge, little freezer (very little space), and my dying beer fridge! So it could have been worse! Its loaded in Hubby's truck, going to the county free disposal in the morning. Hoping to get a loaner from a guy I work for who has rent houses! Used fridge coming our way!! It was MONDAY today in many ways!!

Is it cold enough where you live to use coolers on the porch? That's what I do this time of year. On the porch right now I have two of them...one has greens for the week for the geese in it, the other has freshly butchered chickens in bags when I do them and let the meat rest a day before cutting.

So do their washers and dryers!
I finally tossed the last LG TV out of the house this year. :woo hoo:
The in-laws worshiped those things even though the MIL would holler at me once a week to 'fix' hers when it would show "no signal".
Unplug the HDMI cable from one port, plug it into another port, and it was good for another week :thumbs::(.
Stupid.:mad:

Is it cold enough where you live to use coolers on the porch? That's what I do this time of year. On the porch right now I have two of them...one has greens for the week for the geese in it, the other has freshly butchered chickens in bags when I do them and let the meat rest a day before cutting.
Not here, 65° today, which was cool! Shoved stuff in every nook and cranny of the extra fridge, beer fridge, and little freezer! Threw out a bunch of stuff, like, what the heck is that kind of stuff!! Hubby found a few on the murder list, 😮, I mean Craigslist!! Told him to come back alive with one!! Hope we don't have another golf cart instead!! Now I have to worry! 🤔🙄

we have a real cheap fridge I got at Home Depot Magic something. Probably straight from China but it was only $300
We use a few chest freezers as fridges which are much less expensive and use much less electricity
( we have a lot of veggies to store for the market in summer and milk and eggs too, so we need lots of space )

btw what is LG?

we have a real cheap fridge I got at Home Depot Magic something. Probably straight from China but it was only $300
We use a few chest freezers as fridges which are much less expensive and use much less electricity
( we have a lot of veggies to store for the market in summer and milk and eggs too, so we need lots of space )

btw what is LG?
LG Life's Good, it's a brand of appliances

Old fridge is loaded on Hubby's truck for haul off, county takes that kind of stuff free!! He took the day off and is going refrigerator hunting, ALONE!😮 He's usually pretty good at finding deals on good brands. We are going used or scratch and dent! FYI, I managed to find my coffee creamer in the other fridge! Good news is, it is still running, figured I kill it over loading it!!

We pretty much have Whirlpool appliances. I don't know why, we didn't plan to buy just Whirlpool. I guess they just had the best price when we got married twenty years ago. Whirlpool stove/oven, refrigerator, washing machine/dryer, and chest freezer. After 20 years, they are all working fine. (I probably just jinxed myself)

Home Depot had some refrigerators on sale after Black Friday. I was so tempted to get myself one, as a garage fridge, backup. I was in a hurry and didn't. I've been too busy! When it comes to refrigerators, like everything, two is one and one is none. But when the grid goes down, unless we have good off grid power, many will have no fridge!

When we bought our house we moved the fridge to the garage and bought one we liked for the kitchen. The garage fridge developed a short and kept kicking the GFCI. A spare fridge is on the list.

...as I look at the front of our fridge at the large "LG" letters, hoping it won't die...

It's been pretty good for the 10+ (?) years we've had it. The ice maker has been the only real problem. We found that if you put things right up against the left inside wall on the middle shelf, then that seems to make the ice maker freeze up. We are guessing that there are water lines to it (the ice maker sits in the upper left of the refrigerator, not freezer). those lines must get frozen up because ventilation to them is blocked or something. So what we did was get one of those open wire mesh rectangular "pencil trays" and we put that up against the left wall to keep things from getting pushed over there. That seems to have solved the problem. Once that ice maker line freezes (or whatever is happening to stop the ice maker), then it is a bugger to get it working again. It normally takes a month or two for it to "fix" itself. Probably a built-in thawing cycle in the refrigerator or something. I suppose we could just unplug the refrigerator for several hours to thaw things, but we haven't done that. We just suffer with no ice since we don't use much. Or we buy a bag of ice from the grocery and store it in the basement freezer.

Other than that problem - knock on wood - our LG refrigerator has held up fine.

p.s. - Our LG fridge has the refrigerator part up top with French doors. The freezer part is two pull drawers at the bottom. I would not get a freezer like this again. It's great and very convenient if you keep a tidy ship of a freezer. But if yours is an overstuffed random jumble of stuff like ours, when you pull the drawer out it can "scrape" stuff off of the top of the drawer and deposit it behind the drawer, so you can't shut the drawer. Luckily LG provided adequate access from the sides (just barely) so you can get an arm in there to retrieve the fallen rogue item.

Just don't let your pull-out freezer drawer get to looking like this: 😒

freezer.jpg

Last edited:
Home Depot had some refrigerators on sale after Black Friday. I was so tempted to get myself one, as a garage fridge, backup. I was in a hurry and didn't. I've been too busy! When it comes to refrigerators, like everything, two is one and one is none. But when the grid goes down, unless we have good off grid power, many will have no fridge!
this is why we have the freezer fridge! It can easily be run by our solar ( minimal energy needed). Hot air goes up, cold stays down. A regular fridge, anytime you open it, cold air goes out

HUBBY IS NOT DEAD!! Came close😮! We found a nice GE at an overstock place in Dallas, via the internet! Off he went........then came the phone call!!🙄🙄🙄 He found a nice loaded Frigidaire, used, four years old! Not 1,000$, 300$ cash! Was plugged in, working, good ice and water! IT'S HERE! DID NOT fit in our front door, had to take it's doors off. Its beautiful, and Frigidaire has outstanding reviews! Not putting food in it until morning!! So updates coming, let's hope Hubby doesn't have to live in it!!

HUBBY IS NOT DEAD!! Came close😮! We found a nice GE at an overstock place in Dallas, via the internet! Off he went........then came the phone call!!🙄🙄🙄 He found a nice loaded Frigidaire, used, four years old! Not 1,000$, 300$ cash! Was plugged in, working, good ice and water! IT'S HERE! DID NOT fit in our front door, had to take it's doors off. Its beautiful, and Frigidaire has outstanding reviews! Not putting food in it until morning!! So updates coming, let's hope Hubby doesn't have to live in it!!
Excellent!

And starting out with a $700 parts budget.

May I suggest getting the owners manual and figure out if there a filters etc.

Ben

Excellent!

And starting out with a $700 parts budget.

May I suggest getting the owners manual and figure out if there a filters etc.

Ben
Got the manual, read it cover to cover! Has a new water filter, needs the air filter. Learned all about the digital display and ice maker! I go WAY OVERKILL when learning about something new/ how to work it!!😉

3:30am update: digital display set at and reading 4°(freezer), 38°(fridge)! I put gauges in each side before bed last night, they read the same as the display!🤩🤩🥳 Yeeha, looking good, food is heading it's way in a bit! Our last fridge Hubby got fot 200$, 17 years ago, so hopefully this one goes longer than that! The couple I clean for on Mondays still have her 1946 refrigerator in their garage, works great! Its an Electrolux (they make Frigidaire)! 😃

Please share photos!

View attachment 120933
Have some inside pics, phone won't let me post more! Nice dent in the front, but working great!
Just 2 of our refrigerator magnets could make that dent disappear.
I, on the other hand, would keep it visible just to show others and brag: "This right here, is what a $500-off sticker looks like :D".

Just 2 of our refrigerator magnets could make that dent disappear.
I, on the other hand, would keep it visible just to show others and brag: "This right here, is what a $500-off sticker looks like :D".
Not bad for a $300 special!! All of our other appliances are stainless steel, so it fits right in!!

Latest posts

Back