My wife is leaving me...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
... to attend a Christian women's retreat. ;)

Or to be more accurate to run a Christian women's retreat. Next Friday she is traveling a few hours away to a very nice secluded bible camp complete with a worship center, log cabins, a lake, and lots of beautiful picturesque nature. She is leading a series of bible studies and discussions on being a strong woman of faith in your marriage and for your family. So far I believe she has about 30 women signed to attend, many of them in their 20's and 30's. I am pretty sure they are going to hear many stories about our life together, to include successes and failures in the realm of parenting. Which means I am going to get some funny looks at church for at least a few weeks after they return. My wife is definitely a motivator and a leader when it comes to these types of events. Even her co-host and best friend, the wife of our Pastor, will take a step back when Mrs. Sentry18 is in the zone.

On the other side of this coin I will be home alone without the assistance of a Nanny, Nana, or my older kids. Not sure how that all worked out but it's just going to be me and the 4 youngest. If they did not already have a dozen activities on the schedule I would have made that weekend into a camping trip! Either way I am a professional Dad and know how to tend to the offspring. I have lots of experience in that realm and will essentially be a cook and chauffeur the whole time. And it's important for the Mrs. to get away and have some lady time too. Still, I absolutely hate being away from my her, even for a long weekend. One hour away from that woman feels like three days. Three long days.

For my first 4 kids I worked nights or evenings and weekends so I could stay home with them when my wife was at work. I traded off of day shift every time I got it. Even with the last 3 I stayed home every minute possible, which was about 3 work days a week. I have changed at least 3x more diapers than my wife has and have read more children's books than any 3 dad's. This is why my wife always refers to me as her part time house husband.

You'll be fine. Kids enjoy time with dad when mom is away. Dads do things differently. I didn't say better. Just differently.

In our house the Dad is more lenient, believe it or not. Mom runs a tight ship. I am sure the little ones (as we call the 4 youngest) are looking forward to some down time.

Of course you're more lenient! That's how it is in our house, too. When granny is gone, Papa is a pushover

I will point out here that when I was a kid my Mom was a task master and we did not deviate from her routine. Now as a Nana she takes our kids, stuffs them full of brownies and cookies, let's them stay up way past bed time, then drops them off and leaves.

And... She's gone.

I woke up this morning to find about about 20 lists. Lists of what to feed them and when, lists of study times and activities, lists of scheduled events and contact numbers, lists of chores she wants done, and many more lists. I am pretty sure there is a list here letting me know when I have to go to bed and what dreams I should be having. ;)

I didn't make any lists for her, but I did write her a hand written letter which I hid in her suitcase after she was done packing. I hope she finds it right away.

Here it is:

To my beloved wife,

I am so happy that you have this opportunity to grow in faith and enjoy some fellowship time with old and new friends. I know you are one the event hostess and organizer, but please take some time to breath, relax, and enjoy the event. You deserve a hiatus and the chance to unwind and commune. I see few people in this world who work as hard and sacrifice as much as you do. You set such an amazing example to your children of empathy, generosity, and work ethic. You set such an amazing example to me of marital love, compassion, and devotion. That young spirited woman I met at [college name] has grown into such an incredible (and still spirited) wife and mother, one who sets a high standard for her daughters to emulate and for her sons to seek out. While criticism resounds in our minds and compliments quickly fade away, I want you to know that you are truly loved and adored. You are perfect and pleasing to Christ and you are an inspiration to me and our family. Do you even realize how much this family revolves around you and your example of faith? I once described you as "the loving manager of home of family" and that description remains true, but it falls drastically short of honoring you the way you deserve to be honored.

We are all truly blessed to have you in our lives.

All my Love,

Your Husband

If I wrote a letter like that to my wife...she would say

"Ok, what gun is it your wanting "?

Or

"How much did you spend on the truck now "

Just saying....

Jim

When I was 15 I was in love with a 16 year old girl named Julie. She was way out of my league and social status. I told my Mom that I was in love but she didn't even know I existed. Mom told me I was in lust not love and that women swoon over a sweet hand written letter. So after 40 attempts I wrote an amazing letter. Julie and I dated for about 6 months. She turned out to be as sharp as a baseball. Very pretty and put together though. That was also when I figured out how to get girls to break up with me so we could still "be friends" and I could date their friends.

Latest posts

Back