Nasty Racoon

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My great nephew took over the cattle operation this year. That left my 84yrold dad without much to do... He took over my chicken pen... fine by me. Last week a boar coon started killing my hens. He killed 3 before my dad mentioned it to me. He killed another one before I caught him. So now I'm down to 5 hens and a rooster. :mad:

My great nephew took over the cattle operation this year. That left my 84yrold dad without much to do... He took over my chicken pen... fine by me. Last week a boar coon started killing my hens. He killed 3 before my dad mentioned it to me. He killed another one before I caught him. So now I'm down to 5 hens and a rooster. :mad:
Gotta start leaning on those coons pretty quickly after you see them. There aren't too many critters that cause more damage than a raccoon...

I like live traps for raccoons, baited with something like a can of vienna sausages or pork n beans. You can use old expired cans out of your pantry. It's a pain to remove cats, skunks, etc. from the trap, but you can select which critters to release and which to dispose of, unlike using a Conabear trap. An added bonus is that you'll catch possums, groundhogs, and the like this way...

@Spikedriver I had steel traps out and one live trap. I don't know if you can buy it where you live but here I can get Bumble Bee Snack boxes. It contains a small can of tuna or chicken salad, a pack of crackers and a little spoon. I caught the coon in the live trap with a tiny can of chicken salad...

I lost my whole flock a couple years back. first one to a hawk. solved that problem. Few weeks later I lost another, Put out a couple of live traps and right away caught a possum and 2 coons. Kept losing birds, caught another possum, a skunk, and 2 more coons. Lost 3 more birds after that.

O'possums aren't real bright, but in my experience don't do anything but look ugly. Raccoons and weasels will cause problems, so they are terminated with extreme prejudice.
Possums do carry diseases, and have a bad habit of crapping all over any hay you might have stored in your barn or shed. But you're right, not so destructive as coons.

Good call on the weasels and I'd add mink to that as well. They can wipe out chickens in a hurry. They also seem to love to eat kittens, if you have barn cats...

Raccoons are the only problem critter I've had. A few years ago I went to NC to study plant medicine with some real experts. While I was gone I got wiped out. Dad set a steel trap incorrectly which trapped the coon and a large thick stemmed weed. The coon got out or the trap but was then trap shy. He killed 17 hens, every hen I had before I caught him. We had several weeks without rain, we finally got a good shower, it messed up the scent of the traps and I got him an hour after it quit raining. All I had left was two lonely roosters trying to impress each other... sad.

Chickens 009 (2).jpg

Years ago when I lived on the coast I had a few hens. The raccoon population in the small coastal towns is likely larger than in the surrounding forest due to folks leaving pet food and unsecured trash outside. Bears are a issue as well ..but anyways, I had constructed a fairly coon proof coop and hen area for the night hours and for years I didn't have any issues.
Untill I had what was likely some storm damage and wear in two areas that wasn't obvious unless something manually fiddled around with the material.
You can bet it didn't take long for the local raccoons that were already in the hood to hone in on the containment breach. At first I didn't notice that there were two bad spots. I lost a hen one night, found one problem area, fixed it and the next night I lost another hen.
Dang!
The second bad area wasn't clear to me, I couldn't figure out where they had entered until luckily the next night, I just happened to catch them about to take out my last hens ..I call the dog, run out with my bat, and watch how they escaped. one went for the area I already fixed and got stuck inside the coop , the other two escaped through the hole that opened up just big enough for them and over the fence they flew with my dog in chase. The one in the coop I batted a few times, the dog finally noticed we still had a live one. As I was chasing it around inside the coop area, the door to the outside banged open and out runs the coon.
My dog is just about 10 feet outside the gate by now, coon runs out the gate door, dog stops because I'm running outside the gate behind coonie swingin Wilson, coon stops about 3 feet from dog and I stop to secure gate door thinking my large rat killing pitty will take care of business...but instead I turn around and all 3 of us have this standoff..coon looks at crazy haired jammie clad woman with yellow bat in hand, dog looks at me like..Am I in trouble?? get the coonie?? The days of his early beatings by the dirtbags who used to own him perhaps gave him doggie flashbacks and he stalls, coonie is alternating his glances between me and the dog like..dang..crazy woman..big pit bull, crazy woman..big pitt bull..
Who will move first..I hear the tune in the western show with clint eastwood chewing on his cigar, black dirty cowboy hat, brim barely keeping the sun outta his eyes and his opponents fingers start getting twitchy around the holstered gun, whah whah whahhh...
Finally, coonie makes a run for the fence, I tell Hooch, "Get Him Hooch!", and Hooch lunges at the coon. Then Coonie turns on the crazy and jumps on my dogs back and they both roll and and are sputtering about. I thinking ..Oh _hit! Now I'm witnessing my 85 pound beast get clobbered by a 30 pound raccoon..lol dang...He isn't much of a fighter as I recall my 8 pound cat kicking his _SS. So as soon as I start in for another round with my trusty yellow Wilson, Coonie jumps off my dog, and in a few leaps is up and over the fence in a matter of seconds. I glace at the dog as he gets up, legs splayed out a bit for balance as he is looking around dramatically left and right like WT_ just happened??
I think of those dumb boxer dog videos you see on youtube, dogs all muffled up with cute confused looks on their funny faces..Gotta add a dumb pitt bull vid to those..I love my boy regardless..
luckily, I never had any more issues with the coastal coons on my hens. And so far, no issues out here with them.

My coop is pretty secure. I do have cats. Coons love cat food over corn. Especially a momma sow. She is so confident that she eats with the cats, smelled my leg and walked up to the door to follow cats in house. Stuck her head in opening twice with me telling her no! Until she causes problems, she can eat some food. However, I am not naming her or letting her sit on my couch to watch tv at night!

My coop is pretty secure. I do have cats. Coons love cat food over corn. Especially a momma sow. She is so confident that she eats with the cats, smelled my leg and walked up to the door to follow cats in house. Stuck her head in opening twice with me telling her no! Until she causes problems, she can eat some food. However, I am not naming her or letting her sit on my couch to watch tv at night!
Allowing her to access your property will cause you problems in the future. I strongly advise removing her and her young by any means necessary. If you're not careful you may have more coons than cats before too long...

I know that is a risk. We had one 8 years ago that raised her babies in a cedar tree in our yard. It was so funny watching them learn to go up and down that tree. They grew up and moved on. When winter gets here, the cats will stay in house on back porch at night and all cat food will stay in house. She will move on. I appreciate your concern and if problem comes up I will take care of it. I lost 12 chickens to Bobcats when I let them in yard. They are penned now. We live way out in yaupon and I feel like I have invaded their territory. If they become a threat, I will remove the threat. Have a good one!

My coop is pretty secure. I do have cats. Coons love cat food over corn. ...

Yep. Wife feeds all of the stray cats in our state and the surrounding states too (OK. I may be exaggerating a little) morning and evening. Trail cam showed 4 coons walking single file towards the cat dishes. Neighbor tells me, "You know she's attracting and feeding the coons too?" "Yep."

I recycle two or three coons a year when they become too friendly, sickly, or when the wife "rediscovers" they are taking the food away from "her" cats.

Latest posts

Back