Natural Gas Refrigerators

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Living

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The place where we bought our 19cf propane refrigerator now offers refrigerators with a natural gas option. Natural gas refrigerators and freezers are relatively new. I only discovered the new offering when I ordered a few parts for our propane fridge. Here's the website if you want more information. We've been very pleased with our propane fridge. Some other companies also sell the EZ Freeze brand; however, we had such good service with Warehouse Appliance I would not hesitate to recommend them.

I know both propane and gas fridges seem pricey; however, look at the cost of a power outage where you lose everything in your fridge. We use our 19cf propane fridge as a second fridge and it could easily be our primary fridge in case of an event. You can't tell looking at the electric and propane fridges which one is propane. You only see the difference when you look at the back of the propane fridge and see the fins.

For you folks on natural gas, you now have an option the rest of us on propane have enjoyed for years.

To change from propane to natural gas all you need to do is take out one nozzle and screw in one with the proper orifice.

I have been interested in a propane or NG type fridge. With yours how efficient are they. Or in other words how long would a 15lb cylinder last?
What in tarnation is a 15lb cylinder?
That would have to be like 2 gallons?
I've never heard of one.

We have two 1,000 gallons tanks because we use propane for the kitchen stove, tankless water heater, space heater in the workshop, Kohler stand-by generator, the 19cf fridge, and I want a backup tank. We went with such large tanks was because of the propane shortage, accompanied by huge price increases, across the midwest several years ago and propane is too important to us to run out of it. If you're scoffing at the last statement, then you're on the wrong board. You should never run out of anything critical to life/safety. While many people think a refrigerator is a convenience, they need to go without one for just a week. Food poisoning is a terrible thing to get because food spoiled. I also get to control when and how much propane I have delivered to manage costs and to manage the tank levels. I rarely let the tanks get below 80%. One tank is primary, the other is the backup. Two is one and one is none.

Back to the question on propane usage - the brochure for the 21cf fridge daily use at .4 gallons. That seems about right although I think it's a tad high for our 19cf. I think I initially estimated our usage about .3 gallons / day.

Caribou, you're absolutely right that it's just a change of the orifice to move the unit from propane to natural gas. However, for some reason, there was great reluctance for the manufacturers to do so for a lot of years.

We've had the propane fridge for five years now so I'm pretty confident on giving you an overview.

The upside of the fridge is it will be running regardless of electricity. It has a nice line to it so it looks good. The fridge has an LED light which is pretty bright and is run by 4 D batteries installed at the back of the unit (not difficult to access). The door shelves are deep, the glass shelves in the fridge slide out. The drawers are the same as in an electrical fridge. I'm serious - you cannot tell the difference between this fridge and the electric fridge without looking in the back and seeing the fins. Oh, and the propane fridge doesn't have an ice maker; however, we bought the metal ice trays (the kind a lot of us grew up with...) to use in case the propane fridge is the only one working. It's easy to wipe clean. The door gaskets are good. The sales guys were great on patiently answering my zillion questions.

The only downside is you have to defrost it. I don't wait until the fins are completely iced. Prior to defrosting the freezer first, I turned down the temperature control (warmer) for the fridge and moved as many things that were temperature sensitive to either the other fridge or an ice chest. I then empty the freezer and put a little fan in the freezer to help de-ice it. Put the fan on a plastic container since there will be water on the freezer floor because there is not any drain in the freezer so you have to mop it with a small towel. I use a plastic putty knife to encourage the ice to come off the walls. After the freezer is defrosted, I move the fan down to the fridge to blow on the fins. That's pretty fast work. The only real downside is it takes about 10 hours to get back to safe temperature. That's why I try to defrost on very cold days in winter. I can set the food outside and not worry about it spoiling.

When we bought the fridge, I asked the sales guy what would be the one or two parts to have on hand just in case..... he suggested a thermocouple even though they rarely went out. We always try to have replacement parts for critical equipment so I had him send me one when we bought the fridge. A while back the fridge quit cooling (shame on me for not setting the alarm on the AcuRite thermometer we purchased separately). It was the thermocouple. And I had one on hand. I also saw it as an opportunity to defrost what little ice had accumulated in the freezer and fins. I immediately ordered a replacement thermocouple.

Would we buy this unit again? Absolutely. If there is a serious grid-down situation and we chose not to run the Kohler, we have enough propane to last a long time for cooking (stove) and the propane fridge for not only keeping food at a safe temperature; but, also convenience of having something cold to drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
What in tarnation is a 15lb cylinder?
That would have to be like 2 gallons?
I've never heard of one.
The small cylinders are in weight; the large tanks are in gallons. We have some 20 and 30 pound cylinders.

What do you think is the life span for a natural gas or propane refrigerator?

I know a family that had a working propane refrigerator in their cabin. It quit working, and now they just use an ice chest. I am sure the fridge is pre-1960's. It seems it is not easy to get parts for it anymore, if not impossible. Finding someone to come out and work on it is another story. I would think with all the cabins in the mountains of Colorado, there are a fair amount of propane fridges, but I am sure many are just replaced instead of repaired.

It's the same question with any appliance - how long will it last? As long as there are parts, any appliance is fixable. We have a Maytag washer and dryer that I bought used in 1985. We've had a few repairs on the washer; but, nothing major since these machines are mechanical and not electrical (which is why we'll keep them forever). We've never had a problem finding parts. The key is to keep critical replacement parts for critical equipment on hand.

On some older appliances, you just reach the point where there are not any more replacement parts because of the low demand. And we've also become a throw-away nation where it's easier to toss than to be inclined to repair. At least with these newer propane refrigerators there are few parts that would ever need replacing. Unfortunately, a thermocouple is unpredictable (they're supposed to last "forever") so we chose to have one on hand. This time we ordered two thermocouples as well as a few other parts that "might" go out one of these years.

What do you think is the life span for a natural gas or propane refrigerator?

I know a family that had a working propane refrigerator in their cabin. It quit working, and now they just use an ice chest. I am sure the fridge is pre-1960's. It seems it is not easy to get parts for it anymore, if not impossible. Finding someone to come out and work on it is another story. I would think with all the cabins in the mountains of Colorado, there are a fair amount of propane fridges, but I am sure many are just replaced instead of repaired.

There is not much to go wrong with a gas refer. A sensor can go bad, the refrigerant might leak out, or there might be a buildup of dust on the heat exchanger. I had an old electric fridge that quit working. When I cleaned the half inch plus blanket of dust off the heat exchanger it took right off. The refrigerant can slowly leak out and have to be replaced, a simple process, or a serious leak can develop ans repairs need to be effected before refilling. There is really not much to go wrong with a gas (NG, or Propane) fridge.

Latest posts

Back