Need advice on making curtains for bathroom windows

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Need advice on making curtains.

I want to make curtains for two bathrooms with the same-sized windows. I'll probably use the same fabric, but might decide to use something different for the 2nd one. First one has an ugly green curtain that just looks sad and droopy. It doesn't fit the window properly. Its over the vanity directly above the sink. Window measurements (not counting trim) are ~24"Wx36"H. There are attachment brackets for a curtain rod (same type as already used) a bit higher up as well. This bathroom will be converted to blue colors & the green is being eliminated.
1683223835516.png

My mother likes this style (but will have a solid blue color) but with a different valance
1683224006405.png

She likes this valance:
1683224094309.png

But she indicated she doesn't want the frill on top or anything sticking up and she liked the smooth draper header/rod pocket like this:
1683224150166.png

My crappy MS Paint amalgam:
1683224219234.png

I'm trying to figure out what style that valance is. It's not quite a French pleat becuase the pleats/gathers are too loose. I know she likes how it bells out. I want to figure out how to get it to make the 5 bell shape thingies and also have the flat header. I'm thinking a separate piece for header and put right sides together and sew them together. I also wanted to have the two panel curtain part attached so it would stay closed in the very center but be able to be drawn to the sides like the patterned curtains. Additionally, I was thinking of trying to do a rolled hem on the bottom of the valance with a metallic gold thread. The fabric is Waverly lapis. Looks something like this (but I have the 2-yard versions):
1683224490102.png

It's the same fabric I used for the cushion on her lap desk.

For the 2nd bathroom, there is no curtain. The window is off to the side a little bit in front of the vanity on the perpendicular wall. I want to have the same style curtains-- two panels pulled to the sides but I want a different style valance. Something like this:
1683224733873.png

But I want to have the same style header as the other valance-- flat, no pleats, no frill at the top. Like this MS Paint amalgam.
1683224842175.png

The lack of pleats should make it easier to keep clean or at least wipe spider webs off.

I have no plans to attach any stabilizers (unless necessary) or backing.

So, anyone have suggestions? (both windows are the same size). 2nd window has raw-ish wood as the trim and I'll probably be using the standard cheap curtain rods that have a return.
1683225185699.png

Is there a term for the type of pleating on valance #1?
How much fabric should I need for the bell poof valance?
How much for the 2 panel drapes?
(I will try to get more detailed measurements).

I've heard multiply width by 1.5 or something, but I don't plan on having tight pleats.

I do most of my sewing “on the fly”. So hopefully you will understand what I am trying to say. For the second bathrooms valance, you want a straight valance. I would take the measurement from the window (side to side) add your seam allowances, then add your seam allowances from top to bottom and how long you want it, thats how big of a piece of material you will need.
I also find it better to make the top piece of fabric maybe an inch bigger than you need and the back panel an inch smaller on the sides. So your top material will overlap on the back a bit. It just makes it look nicer to me.

Every time I look at your post I realize I don’t have time to respond. I’ve made quite a few different styles of window coverings, Roman shades, or is it blinds, 🤔, valances, curtains, drapes, etc.
If you have a Pinterest account, there are tons of ideas there for window treatments.
You don’t plan on lining either panel? It makes it stiffer, sturdier, will not fade as badly if sunlight shines through, to have a lining.
Lil missy is right it’d make it look better.
Doing pleating…or gathering to sew firmly in place? It’s not easy if you’re not an experienced seamstress. You can baste the edge, then you pull the thread to your desired pleat measurement or the look you want. Then sew it in place across the top of the pleating. You’d then have to have a piece of fabric sewn over to cover the top rough edge.
Hope this helps.

lilmissy, I'm trying to visualize the back panel thing. Are you talking about having a lining panel or something? Can I use the same fabric to line itself? Basically double it up?

Patchouli, Hmm.. the fading thing might be an issue. We are keeping the blinds but would still like to have some decorative element on the windows.

FarmOR, we already have blinds, the curtains will be for aesthetics. It can cover up the ugly trim around the windows. LOL. I do plan to sand and paint my trim, but I think curtains would just look nicer. Plus I want to actually make something. I feel more productive. I felt good about making the lap tray cushion.

lilmissy, I'm trying to visualize the back panel thing. Are you talking about having a lining panel or something? Can I use the same fabric to line itself? Basically double it up?

Patchouli, Hmm.. the fading thing might be an issue. We are keeping the blinds but would still like to have some decorative element on the windows.

FarmOR, we already have blinds, the curtains will be for aesthetics. It can cover up the ugly trim around the windows. LOL. I do plan to sand and paint my trim, but I think curtains would just look nicer. Plus I want to actually make something. I feel more productive. I felt good about making the lap tray cushion.
If you want the same fabric on the back as the front, go for it. But I suggest something light in color cause it will fade just likePatchouli stated.

I've done a lot of sewing in my life. Lots! I have made curtains, but I can tell you that I have bought more curtains than I have made. I haven't looked at curtains to purchase in a while, so I have no idea what is out there and the cost of them. You might consider purchasing instead of sewing.

lilmissy, So, lighter fabric for the entire curtains or just for the backing? There are blinds on the window as well so that will filter some light.
Weedy, I've looked at purchasing and can't find anything the right size. The stuff they sell is all too big or too small. Haven't been able to find anything Mom likes. I'm not quite as picky, but again, can't find the right size.

Not lighter in weight. Light as in color of fabric. Blinds will help from fading. I think we put way to much thought on things like this and makes it more difficult than it really is. Buy some muslim for .99 a yard or the cheapest fabric you can find, make a set hang up and see what you need to change. Then use your good material.
i think curtains are outrageously priced. But then again so is material.

Sorry, I meant lighter color. LOL. Did you mean lighter color for backing or for the entire curtains? I'll have to see how the fabric looks against other fabric and if you can see anything through it when there is light shining.

Need to finish my bathroom first though. I'm glad sewing isn't as messy as trying to spread mortar. Sure there's a lot of stray threads and cut off pieces and such, but I don't have to worry about cement-like stuff plopping all over the floor, desk, etc. LOL. And I can take my sweet time with it.

Latest posts

Back